topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 2:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Multi-boot Live USB  (Read 3367 times)

Nzyme

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Multi-boot Live USB
« on: December 03, 2012, 09:55 AM »
Hi,

Can I boot multiple Windows OSs directly from a live USB? Let me explain what I mean:
I have Windows 8 installed on my PC. Is there a way that I can have a Win 7 & XP OS (with the data) on my USB flash drive (32GB) such that during start-up, I can plug-in the USB and boot directly from either 7 or XP? Moreover, if that is possible and when I make any changes to a file, will the changes be carried over to the USB?

Thanks

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Multi-boot Live USB
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:21 AM »
I was sure something along these lines was discussed here this year but I couldnt find the thread I had in mind.
(Maybe it was focusing on linux :-\)

Did find this FWIW my pc anywhere
Tom

Nzyme

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 10:12 AM »
Can anyone provide me with the name of the program used to create multi-boot windows os?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 12:51 PM »
From what I've seen, multi-boot sticks use iso images for the OS and load av tools as a rescue boot disk.  What you want sounds to me like you need to image a HD that has a multi-boot setup, then "restore" the image to a USB stick. I'm not sure which imaging software will do it.  But some techs on other boards told my they use an external USB HD enclosure with a live OS on the drive, for toolkit. I'd say it's probably possible at least for a single OS. Multi-boot may be more difficult. Also I'm not sure how the licensing goes for something like that.

I would look around on Macrium forums.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 01:33 PM »
This is the best resource I've found for all things bootable. But you may have to look around and ask around. There's bound to be any kind of boot from USB you can imagine there or you can find links there.