ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is the age of unlocked cell phones upon us? Pretty please??

(1/3) > >>

superboyac:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2012/12/01/apples-contract-free-iphone-could-benefit-every-consumer-in-america/

Is this really happening?  Are phones going to get divorced from the carriers?  Is our country ready for such freedom being unleashed upon the population?  What will the mindless animal civilians do without the big corporations holding our hands every step of the way??

Renegade:
Apple? What's the ulterior motive?

Stoic Joker:
It sounds like SOP for Apple to me...take any deficiency and spin-doctor it into a feature. History has shown that they can't secure the device well enough to keep a 9 year old from cracking it. So they might as well just kick the doors open for people and call it a customer friendly feature (marketing opportunity) that will reduce inventory/stocking complications.

wraith808:
Truthfully, I've never gotten the hate.  If they subsidize so that you get a $600 phone for $200, $100, or free... well, you have to pay for it some way.  I do think that they should offer unsubsidized phones along side that offer- sort of like the Kindle/Nook.  But I for one would continue to get the subsidized version.  I'm staying with my provider, so why should I not benefit from it.

Curt:
Apple’s introduction of an unlocked and contract free iPhone 5 may be a big thing in the United States, but for the rest of the world it’s business as usual.
--- End quote ---

At the current rate iPhone 5 is approx $850 (in Denmark) WITH a contract, and, can you guess it, $850 WITHOUT a contract! The difference being "minimum usage", whether you use the phone or not, plus, of course, that you don't have put down more than approx $50 each month for two years, if you get a contract - again: whether you use the phone or not... If you are not a heavy user, it is cheapest to merely buy the phone without a contract. Heavy users can safe some, by getting it with a contract.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version