topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: digg rigging?  (Read 29336 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: digg rigging?
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2006, 09:07 AM »
not sure if i'm really saying anything here but i've not looked at digg since the DC GTD experiment started - i've not even thought about looking at it. it doesn't feel like i'm missing out on anything either.

Only thing you are missing is how incredibly slow pages load and how many times they don't load at all unless you refresh multiple times.

Not much of a loss, if you ask me.

If you are trying to get things done, playing with digg and trying to get it to work wastes valuable time you could be spending on better things...like more fantastic Cody wallpapers.  :Thmbsup:

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2006, 02:52 PM »
ha, got to agree with you there app.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2006, 12:02 AM »
Fascinating interview on siliconvalleysleuth about user/submitter:

Are there any concerns that User/Submitter will lower the credibility of Digg and its ranking system?
Absolutely. But that stems from the notion of Digg lowering the credibility of Digg. Fact is, because of Digg's overgenerous social nature, the active participants that mold the Digg network are suffering (whether they know it or not) from a) their lack of digging privacy and b) the weight of the network. We're not at all claiming that Digg is a social failure and users should give up hope, but we're placing the spotlight on some ridiculously wide holes in their social atmosphere -- holes that need closing. The 'loose social networking' trend is over. Digg needs to regress some of its social networking features.

While it's possible that we could determine nearly every front page story on digg, that's not our goal; we desire limitations. That said, the goal of User/Submitter is to exploit but control the fundamental flaws in Digg's social network so that it can sustain. Maybe then, they'll fix these flaws.

http://www.siliconva...digg_manipulati.html

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2006, 08:24 AM »
a new article:
http://news.com.com/...3.html?tag=nefd.lede

Digg executives say they are on top of the situation.

you can't fix a system like this - at the very core of it is a huge incentive to manipulate and game the system, and like google ad clicking fraud, you cannot win the war against people manipulating the system (and these companies probably don't really whole heartedly want to, since the fraud ends up helping them).  the only way to "fix" such a system is use a different system that doesn't incentivize fraud and manipulation.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 07:19 AM »
Digg has just changed their algorithm to prevent this.
Consequence: users are on strike :)