ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

digg rigging?

<< < (3/6) > >>

Redhat:
I forget his name now, but the Digg guy was on TWiT and talked about this a bit. He said it was just a misunderstanding. He's got a lot of spammers to deal with, and a few things got through, but they're working on eliminating spammers more and more.
-Renegade (May 05, 2006, 01:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I heard that episode too  :) I have to say that, now, I believe him.

gjehle:
well, i've heard a lot of hate stories about digg
and here's what i think

1) it's a free-of-charge service, if you dont like it, leave it

2) creating a system like digg where buddy-buddy exploitation wont be possible is impossible!
the whole thing is based on social networks, and the importance and therefor audience a node inside the net has is mainly determined by his degree (directly connected nodes, aka "friends")
the "buddy problem" can't be solved it's a "flaw" in the social aspect to begin with.
that's how society works.

3) i think the main source of digg-hate is envy
when digg started most people where "omg, this is awesome"
now, once people notice that the people who run digg, from what i see that's mainly kevin rose and some other peeps around him, make actual money from advertising and other stuff (which is fine, after all they created it, and they're paying for it), people start getting envious, they want their bit of the cake
that's another thing that comes with society, can't help it, people are selfish, it's in the firmware.. no patch available ;)

to sum it up, all i can recommend is:
people should STFU and leave if they dont like it,
or create a better (parental advisory: use brain, make own decisions) system and make their own money...
and attract some envious people of their own.

that's FAME 2.0 for you

kthx

mouser:
i agree with much of what you've said, but i do think it's a real problem.  i just don't know the best way to solve it.  and it troubles me just like the huge role of marketing troubles me.

we're living in a world where publicity = money.
and the incentive for scamming publicity systems is huge.

so it means any kind of service which brings attention to things and asks for user help is deciding what is important is going to be increasingle targeted for manipulation.

at some point you really have to ask yourself, do you trust a social network rating system which is going to be manipulated and corrupted by bots and teams of people artificially rating things high that they can make money from and low that they want to bury, or a rating system done by a couple of people whose views you trust to be honest?

to me we need to find a better middle ground.. i find myself uncomfortable with the public rating systems like software repository site ratings (fileforum).  i don't deny that they are very useful, but they are just so open to manipulation that i don't take them very seriously and i worry that people will view the ratings as reliable.

having said that i will repeat that i find digg one of the most reliably good lists of useful links.  but that doesn't effect my concern about the viability of the model and the need to find something less susceptible to abuse.

wasker:
to me we need to find a better middle ground.. i find myself uncomfortable with the public rating systems like software repository site ratings (fileforum).  i don't deny that they are very useful, but they are just so open to manipulation that i don't take them very seriously and i worry that people will view the ratings as reliable.
-mouser (May 05, 2006, 08:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

I disagree.

When you come to file archive (think of real file archive, not a bot-archive for search engine spam), you can see ALL stuff available in some category, PLUS rating. When you come to digg, you see absolutely filtered content: 1-st level is the contributor's filter (I submit news I like), and the 2-nd is rating, when "boring" news are at the bottom of nowhere. So some important piece of information could simply pass your eyes.

gjehle: I don't use digg just because of this. I don't care about who and how makes money.

Redhat:
Oh - and the bloke's name - is Kevin Rose  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version