topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Open a tcp port and assign it to a running process  (Read 8369 times)

dtrud0h

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Rant-Zone
    • Donate to Member
Open a tcp port and assign it to a running process
« on: May 30, 2005, 05:38 PM »
I'm trying to set up mySql on Windows Server 2003 and I'm having a bit of a problem.  When I launch the Sql(at machine startup) it attaches itself to the localhost 127.0.0.1.  I can connect to it while running locally, but a web app that needs the data cannot connect to it. 
  I'm new to all this server business, I may simply be overlooking something in the server setup part of it, but it would be nice if there was a utility that would detach a process from one port and adapter and connect it to another. If there is such an app I would like to know about it.
<- I have nothing witty to put here ->

geektechnu

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Open a tcp port and assign it to a running process
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 06:13 PM »
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do - it sounds like you're trying to access your server the wrong way.

127.0.0.1 is the location of your server relative to the server itself.
To access it from another computer you need the external IP address of the server.

Also, as far as I know, accessing the external IP address from the server itself does not work.
You could probably edit your hosts file to direct requests from the server going to the external IP to go to the localhost IP instead.

If you could describe in more detail what you are trying to do, it would be a great help.

dtrud0h

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Rant-Zone
    • Donate to Member
Re: Open a tcp port and assign it to a running process
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 01:32 AM »
duh,  YA I KNEW THAT  :huh: When looking through (oh, by the way I did know that, but I forgot it) the server management panel it listed the services running as running on the address of the lan connection, mysql however isn't loaded through the config panel so it doesn't show up there.  When I run EssentialNet Tools port scanner on the server box from the laptop I see that the port is open.  That doesn't mean however that I'm having any luck accessing the sql part from either the local network, or from the internet, but then again I've never even seen the inside of an sql database let alone tried to administer one.  I have alot of reading to do.  Thankfully the project I'm setting it up for isn't on a deadline.
<- I have nothing witty to put here ->