topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Folder properties  (Read 3634 times)

SQUIDMAN

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • WAT TV Squidman Videos
    • Donate to Member
Folder properties
« on: December 01, 2012, 01:03 AM »
Was wondering if anyone here has a suggestion. I been trying to change the properties of certain folders on my computer. From read only to nothing which is checked. I click on properties, uncheck read only, it then asks if I want to include all sub folders, click yes. It acts as if it is unmarking everything inside folder when I hit apply. But aas soon as leave the folder and come back it says everything is read only again? I am the only one using the computer and am the administrator. Any ideas? :huh:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Folder properties
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 07:32 AM »
That's actually normal behavior for a folder object. I do not know the mechanics of why they do this...but it is normal.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 05:28 PM »
Possibly: Fixing the Windows 7 Read-Only Folder Blues

“The Read-only attribute for a folder is typically ignored (!) by Windows, Windows components and accessories, and other programs. For example, you can delete, rename, and change a folder with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only and System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether the folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts, Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the Customize tab of the folder’s Properties dialog box.”

ie. It's not used for what it should be used for.  :P

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 06:43 PM »
To work around this issue, use the Attrib command at a command prompt (Cmd.exe) to view or remove the Read-only or System attributes of folders. Type attrib /? at the command prompt to view the syntax for the Attrib command.

Warning If you remove the Read-only or System attribute from a folder, it may appear as a ordinary folder and some customizations may be lost. For example, Windows customizes the Fonts folder and provides a special folder view that permits you to hide variations, such as bold and italic. It also permits you to change the folder's view settings in ways that are specific to fonts. If you remove the Read-only and System attributes of the Fonts folder, these customized view settings are not available. For folders that you have customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box, the folder icon and other other customizations may be lost when you remove the Read-only attribute.

If a program cannot save files to a folder with the Read-only attribute, such as My Documents, change the Read-only attribute to System by using the Attrib command at a command prompt.

For example, to change the Read-only attribute to System for the C:\Test folder, use the following command:
attrib -r +s c:\test
Note that some programs may not operate correctly with folders that have the System attribute set. To remove both the Read-only and System attributes from the C:\Test folder, use the following command:
attrib -r -s c:\test

There is also a program called Properties Plus that may set the attribs without having to do it manually.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 10:18 PM »
Attribute Changer 7
maybe?

http://www.petges.lu/

SQUIDMAN

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • WAT TV Squidman Videos
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 01:05 AM »
I thank you all for replies,  :wallbash:
The strange thing is I can change most or some folders and they stay changed? This is not a special folder, just a backup for my video files. I will just leave it this way, and put it down to WFM! Again THANKS ALL!
TEDD