ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How 4 Microsoft engineers proved that the “darknet” would defeat DRM

<< < (9/10) > >>

wraith808:
Well, there is an article on LifeHacker about using the MakeMKV/HandBrake combo.  That's pretty much the best and simplest approach I've found.  It doesn't help you understand all that much, but for a guide, it's a pretty good place to start.

http://lifehacker.com/5559007/the-hassle+free-guide-to-ripping-your-blu+ray-collection

As in many cases, the Tom's Hardware of old has good information: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/video-guide-part-3,130.html

Of course, it's 13 years old.  I miss the old Tom's Hardware.

There's also an introduction by Mark Pilgrim.  Again, it's old.  But it's so good, that someone else archived it when the original site went down.

http://www.simonwhatley.co.uk/mark-pilgrim-a-gentle-introduction-to-video-encoding-container-formats

And another.  Again old.  But again, good, even though its aimed more at amateur video editors than those that want to archive their collections.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/213612/all_about_video_codecs_and_containers.html

Those are the most useful and non-biased ones I've stumbled across.  The others are either made by companies trying to sell their software, or just confusing and/or wrong.  At least the ones I've found.

4wd:
Nitpicking: if you simply copy (untouched) streams from one container to another, are you really transcoding? One might be able to argue so from the wiki definition, but personally I'd expect transcoding to involve de- and re-encoding of the actual streams.

Are there any better terms that could be used when you're simply copying streams from one container format to another?-f0dder (December 04, 2012, 01:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know.  I know that MakeMKV does do something (has to really) in order to break the encryption.  And I also cleans up the stream; looking at the mess that comes up when you look at a DVD shows some stupid stuff they do in the name of 'copy protection',  So maybe it's still transcoding because of that?-wraith808 (December 04, 2012, 02:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Technically:

* Change of container only: Remuxing - Demultiplexing + Multiplexing of the original media streams into a different container format, (eg. AVI->MKV, VOB->MKV).  You may need to decrypt contents to access them but the original encoding/bitrate remains unchanged.
* Change of stream encoding: Transcoding - you are changing the encoding of the original stream format, (eg. MPEG2->MPG4-AVC).  Doesn't necessarily mean a change of container, eg. MPEG4-ASP AVI -> MPEG4-AVC AVI.
* Change of bitrate: Transrating - you are reducing the bitrate of the streams while keeping both original container and encoding, this is what DVD Shrink, CloneDVD, etc do.

Ended up doing simple junction points on the server...now a 250GB HDD apparently holds 4.5TB of files.  Saves a bit of navigation from the media player.
-4wd (December 04, 2012, 12:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's actually a very cool idea!  I'd not thought about using junctions, even though they've been very useful to me in the past.-wraith808 (December 04, 2012, 08:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not having used them before I have to say they've worked out better than I thought.  By giving two different account permissions, (read and full), the media players just get to read what's available but if I access via computer I get full access without having separate shares all over the place to do file management.

40hz:
@Wraith- thx for those links in your previous post.  Good info and very helpful.  :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
Technically:

* Change of container only: Remuxing - Demultiplexing + Multiplexing of the original media streams into a different container format, (eg. AVI->MKV, VOB->MKV).  You may need to decrypt contents to access them but the original encoding/bitrate remains unchanged.
* Change of stream encoding: Transcoding - you are changing the encoding of the original stream format, (eg. MPEG2->MPG4-AVC).  Doesn't necessarily mean a change of container, eg. MPEG4-ASP AVI -> MPEG4-AVC AVI.
* Change of bitrate: Transrating - you are reducing the bitrate of the streams while keeping both original container and encoding, this is what DVD Shrink, CloneDVD, etc do.-4wd (December 04, 2012, 06:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for that- I'd not heard the term remuxing before.  Good stuff!  So lossless transcoding still means that you are changing the encoding, is that correct?  You're just not losing any quality over generations?

4wd:
Technically:

* Change of bitrate: Transrating - you are reducing the bitrate of the streams while keeping both original container and encoding, this is what DVD Shrink, CloneDVD, etc do.-4wd (December 04, 2012, 06:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for that- I'd not heard the term remuxing before.  Good stuff!  So lossless transcoding still means that you are changing the encoding, is that correct?  You're just not losing any quality over generations?
-wraith808 (December 04, 2012, 06:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes - generally you do transcoding if the playback device can't understand a particular format encoding or another format offers better compression, (lossless or otherwise).

What MakeMKV is doing is remuxing, it might not be including some of the original streams from the DVD, (all the menu/warning rubbish), but neither is it changing the original encoded data.

Just for interests sake, I use MKVTools to remux into MKV containers, (for unenrypted formats), and AVIMux-GUI for remuxing to AVI, (it can do MKV also).

Also, it pays to make sure your MKV containers use uncompressed headers to ensure playback on the majority of devices, eg. the WDTV Live HD will not playback MKV files with compressed headers - remuxing to uncompressed headers takes less than a minute.

EDIT: Actually transrating may encompass change of container, (I'm not sure), the majority of its use is to make something big fit into something small, (eg. dual->single layer DVD/BD or bandwidth reduction) - the primary point is that there is just a reduction of bitrate while still in the original format encoding.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version