ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How 4 Microsoft engineers proved that the “darknet” would defeat DRM

<< < (8/10) > >>

tslim:
Guess what, I have never in my life try to run MediaInfo (or other video format identifying program) against a VOB file. I always assume the VOB is a video format (rather than container) and those IFO, BUP files are storing non-video materials like menu and subtitles.

Man... after reading your explanation, I MediaInfo one of my VOB file and see all the various audio tracks, subtitles and of course the Mpeg version 2 video itself.
Thank you.

Btw, what program do you use to do your transcoding?

f0dder:
Nitpicking: if you simply copy (untouched) streams from one container to another, are you really transcoding? One might be able to argue so from the wiki definition, but personally I'd expect transcoding to involve de- and re-encoding of the actual streams.

Are there any better terms that could be used when you're simply copying streams from one container format to another?

wraith808:
Guess what, I have never in my life try to run MediaInfo (or other video format identifying program) against a VOB file. I always assume the VOB is a video format (rather than container) and those IFO, BUP files are storing non-video materials like menu and subtitles.

Man... after reading your explanation, I MediaInfo one of my VOB file and see all the various audio tracks, subtitles and of course the Mpeg version 2 video itself.
Thank you.

Btw, what program do you use to do your transcoding?

-tslim (December 04, 2012, 12:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's taken me a long and painful time coming to that, as there's so much conflicting and just plain wrong information out there.  It probably needs some refinement- Oh, look!  Here comes f0dder, I'm sure he'll clean it up...

Nitpicking: if you simply copy (untouched) streams from one container to another, are you really transcoding? One might be able to argue so from the wiki definition, but personally I'd expect transcoding to involve de- and re-encoding of the actual streams.

Are there any better terms that could be used when you're simply copying streams from one container format to another?
-f0dder (December 04, 2012, 01:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know.  I know that MakeMKV does do something (has to really) in order to break the encryption.  And I also cleans up the stream; looking at the mess that comes up when you look at a DVD shows some stupid stuff they do in the name of 'copy protection',  So maybe it's still transcoding because of that?

And I use MakeMKV.  I did use PowerISO to make ISOs, until I found that I had problems with less hardware with MKVs than ISOs.

f0dder:
Oh, look!  Here comes f0dder, I'm sure he'll clean it up...-wraith808 (December 04, 2012, 02:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hardly, since I don't actually know whether transcoding is the correct term or not - which is why I asked if there's any better terms :-)

IMHO it's useful to distinguish between re-compressing streams and "just" copying them (even if there's an outer layer of DRM crap stripped away) - my above comment wasn't meant as a "silly wraith808 uses wrong terms" but as "are there more appropriate terms?, because just like tslim I was surprised to learn that the term 'transcode' was used when no loss of quality appears". Hope that clears up any eventual misunderstanding :-)

40hz:
f0dder's observation about "better terms" and wraith's point about conflicting and flat out wrong information is exactly what made me wash my hands of all this video voodoo ages ago.

Does anybody know where you can find a reliable and accurate introduction to PC video and video formats. I don't mind buying a book or two - or paying for an online course if that's what it takes. Ideally something that explains things such as containers, how video and audio data gets encoded, the different types of encoding along with their respective pros and cons...you get the idea: something for an intelligent but total (video tech) newbie who is not afraid of hearing some serious tech talk?

Anybody?  :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version