ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How 4 Microsoft engineers proved that the “darknet” would defeat DRM

<< < (4/10) > >>

40hz:
IMHO, it is not worth the trouble and risk to use RAID for video collection. (particularly RAID 1)
-tslim (December 02, 2012, 08:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

IMHO it's hardly ever worth ripping movies to a server drive to begin with.

For music CDs it makes some sense since songs seldom run longer than 5 minutes each and it's nice to be able to create playlists or flip around. But the average movie runs about 90 minutes to two hours - so I could never see what the hassle was with just loading a DVD into a player before settling in for an hour or two to watch it. But maybe that's just me?

As far as RAID goes, I agree it's seldom justified for personal use. My comments about RAID in this context were about how software RAID implementations in Linux are quite reliable based on my experience. And that FreeNAS is an excellent storage solution purely as far as storage solutions go. What it's appropriate to use it for is a whole other discussion however.

And I agree - doing a mirror storage array for a static media collection (likely already on hard media unless the collection is mostly "acquired through alternate distribution channels"  ;)) does strike me as being a bit of overkill.

But that's probably just me too. ;D

Jibz:
What are your thoughts on the promoted reader comment:

2. Even if your primary concern is piratical, the "darknet" only saves you as long as vendors are willing to ignore legacy formats. All it takes is one person to crack the DRM and release the plaintext version; but only if available consumer devices will actually accept plaintext. Your ipad, say, will process an anonymous mp3, or h.264 video, so team Hollywood and the RIAA crowd are out of luck; but how about an unsigned .ipa file? Not happening. Even if it is 100% structurally valid, it needs an apple key, or an enterprise key, or a dev key(that matches the hardware it is running on, since those are limited to a set number of devices). You can strip all the DRM you want, you'll just have some trouble finding hardware to run it on. Windows RT will play the same game with Windows binaries.

That's the real problem. Yeah, it is impossible to make 100% of DRMed endpoints exfiltration-proof. However, your ability to make 95%+ of endpoints increasingly hostile to anything lacking a trusted DRM signature is constrained only by customer hostility, not by any technological barrier...
--- End quote ---

Are we busy arguing over how bad DRM is while they are pulling the hardware out from under our feet?

40hz:
Are we busy arguing over how bad DRM is while they are pulling the hardware out from under our feet?
-Jibz (December 02, 2012, 01:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Absolutely.

Since they can't control it via software anymore (far too many coders and open platforms) the other option is too restrict it via hardware - which is easier since not everybody can manufacture a chip.

That may not deter the heavy techno crowd - but they're a relatively tiny a minority, and they provide the benefit of free troubleshooting for DRM systems anyway. Joe Blow on  the street however is going to be stopped in his tracks. Or will be until the Sim Lim Square gray market starts offering limited quantities of unlocked hardware just like they did with "region free" DVD players.

UEFI/SecureBoot is the forerunner of what's planned. Since it would be too heavy handed to attack Linux directly, it's far easier to just make sure that in ten years time there's very little it will run on. Apple and Microsoft have perfectly capable operating systems and both companies are into doing DRM from way back.

I'm guessing about 85%-90% of the public won't care. Which is what I think they're really hoping to accomplish with DRM. Stop the "casual pirate" or copier.

The naughty boys and girls will always be around. But I think the industries have come to acknowledge that. All they're out to do now is keep that small element's philosophy and practices from becoming the norm. They can always prosecute the violators piecemeal once they're sufficiently marginalized and isolated.

It's the long game we're playing now.

And I'm afraid the completely open general purpose personal computer will go the way of the dodo before it's over.

Open computing is a disruptive technology. Business doesn't want it. Government definitely doesn't want it. And they're both in the position to do something about it.

And romantic techno-ninja notions aside, the big boys very likely will succeed in putting an end to open computing before it's over.

The PC is dead. Long live the PC!

wraith808:
-40hz (December 02, 2012, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Really?  I have mine on my server and access it all over the house.

40hz:
-40hz (December 02, 2012, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Really?  I have mine on my server and access it all over the house.
-wraith808 (December 02, 2012, 09:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think this is one of those YMMV situations.  ;D

In my case, I do all my watching in one place in my house. And I have a fairly large collection of movies on hard media that I really don't feel a pressing need to rip and possibly convert to run off a media server. Because (to me) it's hardly worth having everything available at the click of a mouse button to play in any room of the house - because that's not something I actually ever do. It's much easier and more enjoyable for me to go and sit in the den and watch something after putting a disk in the DVD player.

8) :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version