ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How 4 Microsoft engineers proved that the “darknet” would defeat DRM

<< < (2/10) > >>

40hz:
On the other hand, I am completely for offline storage. With hard drive prices going down, it is easier to download a file and store it than to rely on the cloud. I have almost completed ripping my 850 DVD collection to MP4 for storage on our media server. This will be complete once I am able to setup a Raid 1 array of about 4TB. Right now, I am stuck at 2TB on a single disk. Once I get a new enclosure, I will setup a Windows-based raid mirror (hardware raid is flaky unless you invest in a reliable controller, not those cheap promise boards).
-Josh (December 01, 2012, 06:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Kind of OT, but... Have you looked at FreeNAS? Someone recommended it to me in another thread and it's been wonderful.
-Renegade (December 01, 2012, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

@Josh - +1 w/Ren on FreeNAS. It's a great solution. Before you commit to using Windows, consider giving FreeNAS a try. It won't cost you anything other than your time to try it out. You may be surprised to find it's everything you need - plus a whole lot more.

Although I'm not too big on recommending RAID for most personal uses and/or skill levels, it does have it's place. And the software implementations of RAID running under the NIX environment have proven extremely reliable in my experience. And I do servers for a living. So I see a few more of them in operation than most people do.

Just my  :two:  :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
^^ Continued the off-topic portion about FreeNAS here: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=28259.msg308760#msg308760

TaoPhoenix:

Getting sorta back on topic, would stuff like Apple's restrictions through the App Store count as a new form of DRM? For an easy example, some videos on Youtube are blocked to mobile browsers. I'm sure my betters have ideas around that. (Browser header changing and all that jazz?)

Renegade:
Getting sorta back on topic, would stuff like Apple's restrictions through the App Store count as a new form of DRM?
-TaoPhoenix (December 01, 2012, 09:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

No. DRM is DRM. Apple is just a douchier form of DRM.

For an easy example, some videos on Youtube are blocked to mobile browsers. I'm sure my betters have ideas around that. (Browser header changing and all that jazz?)
--- End quote ---

Not sure what you mean there in that context.

TaoPhoenix:
For an easy example, some videos on Youtube are blocked to mobile browsers. I'm sure my betters have ideas around that. (Browser header changing and all that jazz?)
--- End quote ---

Not sure what you mean there in that context.
-Renegade (December 01, 2012, 09:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, last I understood DRM it meant restrictions & rights on digital media, right? So would coding videos on YouTube count as DRM? Or is there some implicit extra factor that the DRM has to be attached and embedded as some kind of software encoding?

In other words, I see similarities between things like WMA music files and non-mobile or region-blocked YouTube files.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version