topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Saturday April 20, 2024, 12:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: making money from webpage ads, nice blog article from someone who knows  (Read 5211 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
making money from web page ads, nice blog article from someone who knows

It's been almost a year and a half since I started making enough money with .. to allow myself to work on it full time. In that time, the question I'm most often asked is "how can I do it too?" So I guess it's time to talk a little bit about how to take that website of yours and bring more in than you are putting out. First of all, let's not delude ourselves. Making money on the Internet is hard -- its just as hard, if not harder, as it was back when people were happily deluding themselves into thinking that the Internet was the foundation of the American economy. It wasn't then, and it isn't now, but at least today that statement is a little bit closer to the truth.

from digg.com

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's a shame the ad bits got the most attention in this article. I think his brief mention of creative functionality segmentation and fee-based services is really where it's at, unless your user really doesn't care about all the ads. Most people really hate that stuff, and even if they'll put up with it, you have to be offering something pretty darn good, that no one else offers without ads or with better features. Otherwise they'll jump ship.

I also think there is something to be said for a more specialized campaign. The difficulty is these tend to only be feasible on larger sites with lots of traffic, but I do think there's room for smaller advertisers to be paired with smaller sites and do more customized campaigns. An excellent example of custom ad campaigns can be found on http://www.penny-arcade.com/ where often times the artist for the comic will actually draw the ad, making the ad very well integrated with the content. They also only agree to advertise things they actually like, so automatically there's a level of trust that brings down a clicking barrier for many people. People know that not only can they trust there will be no adware, spyware, etc. if they click, but that also the service/product is likely to be of interest to them if they like the Penny Arcade comic and blog. Now those guys have massive amounts of traffic and are a bit of a unique case, but again I think there is room for more of that and it's really just a matter of hooking up with smaller advertisers and working out what they're willing to pay.

I almost envision a site like GetAFreelancer.com or Elancer.com where you have advertisers and site owners, and each are making themselves available or bidding on each other's opportunities. Site owners can make a per-click or flat time-based bid on an advertiser's product (run an ad on the front page for 1 week), or advertisers could bid on a site they want to be on. Multiple bids could be submitted and compared, just like Elance, etc. Private messaging, portfolios, stats, reviews, etc. would backup each vendor's bids. Discussion between parties would involve the customizations desired for the campaign or site, and a bid would be accepted once the negotiation was solid. The site would then moderate and record the traffic and completely handle the transfer of money through an escrow system, or similar. This is basically ad and site matching the Elance way. Actually, anyone know if something like this already exists? If not, it damn well should!

- Oshyan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
there is a lot of chatter these days about clickfraud and the possibility that much of google ad traffic is fake.
we run google ads on this site and i can't say it thrills me to do so.  generally i really dislike the idea of having advertisements..

one interesting idea would be to only accept advertisements from some list of companies/products that won review awards on the site; and maybe do like monthlong campaigns where for 1 month all pages have an ad for that month's sponsor.  and let companies bid each month for that sponsorship spot.

an advantage would be that you wouldn't be advertising stuff the site members didn't support and feel was worth supporting.  disadvantages include the hassle of having to negotiate advertising ratings and arrange contracts.  thats really the main advantage of google ads and similar stuff, that you don't have to do much, it takes care of itself.

might be worth a try here at some point.  pick a month and invite a select group of companies to bid on a month long ()week long) advertising campaign.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Definitely sounds like a worthwhile experiment. My idea above partly would hope to allow the benefits of individual negotiation and ad customization but also remove some of the headaches of doing that. I'm very interested in hearing about any similar sites!

- Oshyan

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
sounds like a good experiment to try.