topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Alternative to Linkman  (Read 14208 times)

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Alternative to Linkman
« on: November 28, 2012, 11:45 PM »
In both IE9 and Opera12.11 Linkman/its toolbar does not save links,ie. nothing happens no add bookmark window shows up at all, and if it does its always empty (no URL is automatically copied in).

Only workaround (80% success) : I must first select-then-rightclick-copy each  URL in addressbar of each browser, then rightclick linkman icon in traybar, next left-click "add & edit bkmk from browser" -then it works , but only 80% of the time. I am now fed up of these extra steps to add just one URL.

With even one( or more than one) tab open in either browser, it never adds the correct tab link(it can't seize URL of tab in focus), and many times I keep seeing the earlier url that I manually copied, in the add bookmark window ie. in rare cases where I do see an add bookmark window its mostly blank or has the earlier URL copied by me persisting for ever.

Linkman's Opera addon toolbar(extension) in Opera at right top of browser window never works for me (inspite of reinstalling it so many times), what works is only rightclick from trayicon(80% of the time), same in IE9.  Have scanned & checked for malware with variety of tools - nothing detected. I have no other problems with any other software on this system.

Have reinstalled Linkman Pro many times, but no use.
My system : Vista Business 32bit with EsetAV 4.x latest ,MBAM with protection & web disabled, IE9 & all latest Windows updates.

Did email support with screenshots but never got any resolution to this.  

Can anyone suggest alternative bookmark software (not cloud) that works seamlessly with IE9, Opera and maybe Firefox & Chromium/Chrome ? Something similar to Powermarks would be great.

Thanks for suggestions,
Ska
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:53 PM by SKA »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Alternative to Linkman
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 07:51 AM »
I doubt that this will help, but I just want to mention that I also have Opera 12.11, and I've had no problem getting the Linkman icon to work.  However, my system is Win 7 Professional 64-bit.  I've also got MBAM Pro, but with protection enabled.  (I can't comment on IE9, since I have it on my computer but almost never use it.  It looks as if I didn't even bother installing Linkman on it.)

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 02:50 PM »
I doubt that this will help, but I just want to mention that I also have Opera 12.11, and I've had no problem getting the Linkman icon to work.  However, my system is Win 7 Professional 64-bit.  I've also got MBAM Pro, but with protection enabled.  (I can't comment on IE9, since I have it on my computer but almost never use it.  It looks as if I didn't even bother installing Linkman on it.)
All the same for me.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 03:13 PM »
I use LinkStash, which works well for me with Opera 12.11 and Firefox 16.0.2 (I think).  I'm on Vista Home Premium with UAC On, but don't have IE9.  As I understand it, LinkStash is a different way of working from LinkMan, using hotkeys and not being so integrated into the browser, but I've been happy with it for a long time now.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 12:46 AM »
SKA, our support usually never stops working on an issue until an issue is resolved. Please contact it again. You may also want to try Linkman 8.80, as the communication protocol of the IE Addon was completely changed.

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 01:34 AM »
Yes indeed - version 8.80 fixed my problem above, thanks Outertech !

Ska

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 01:30 PM »
Are there any other alternatives to Linkman or LinkStash? not really because anything is wrong with either (although while using/trailing both I did experience a couple of crashes (for both!) but since I am/was unable to replicate I didn't report it to the devs)

So out of curiosity more than anything else, any other alternatives?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 01:56 PM »
Are there any other alternatives to Linkman or LinkStash?

+1 - I'd be interested in knowing that too. :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 03:54 PM »
I'm still using Linkman...

But an alternative I was once looking for (maybe totally off topic) is a program that can take your bookmark list, save or index the bookmark pages so that they can later be searched OFFLINE. 

Something like this, but not cloud based:
http://historio.us/

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 04:00 PM »
I think LinkStash is great; I'm using 3.0.0 and haven't had any crashes.

From the resources list on the K-Meleon site, there's Bookmark Manager:
Bookmark Manager (BKM for short) is an open source tool for managing your bookmarks. You'll find everything about this tool on this Web site. Current news, new versions and other information.

vbBKM and pyBKM

BKM consists of two projects: vbBKM and pyBKM. vbBKM is a program developed in Visual Basic which works on the Microsoft Windows platform. pyBKM is a tool developed in Python running on multiple platforms.

vbBKM is a stable product and has as many features as any other bookmark management software available. But pyBKM is at very early stages and is not ready for production use, yet. See the two project pages (vbBKM and pyBKM) for details.
No idea what it's like, sorry...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 06:39 PM »
All I'd really like is a standalone and portable bookmark manager that just saves the site names and URLs (with an optional notes field) in a tree list - and invokes your default browser when you click on one. Some keyword or tag feature might be nice - plus the ability to sort them and use folders - plus print the list out as a CSV.

Linkman is very nice. But it's way beyond what I need or want.

That pyBKM rjbull pointed to above is looks promising although it's appearance leaves a lot to be desired at this stage.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 07:25 PM »
All I'd really like is a standalone and portable bookmark manager that just saves the site names and URLs (with an optional notes field) in a tree list - and invokes your default browser when you click on one. Some keyword or tag feature might be nice - plus the ability to sort them and use folders - plus print the list out as a CSV.

Linkman is very nice. But it's way beyond what I need or want.

+1

Agreed

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 09:19 PM »
LinkCollector would probably fit the bill.

I have a license, but haven't used it in quite a while, for no particular reason other than I found Linkman to do everything I wanted, and I haven't really needed the portability of LinkCollector.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 09:31 PM »
Thanks xtabber. To quote forum user Contro:

Running to try

;)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 10:27 PM »
If first few minutes is anything to go by we may have a winner, fast and what I need. Few more days of same and I will keep it  :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 07:10 AM »
Link Collector looks very nice. Unfortunately, it's for Windows only so my search continues... :)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 11:47 AM »
All I'd really like is a standalone and portable bookmark manager that just saves the site names and URLs (with an optional notes field) in a tree list - and invokes your default browser when you click on one. Some keyword or tag feature might be nice
LinkStash has all that.  It can be portable, and the license permits portable as well as HD use.

plus the ability to sort them and use folders - plus print the list out as a CSV.
It has a tag feature, but I've never used it.  Export is only to HTML, IE Favorites, Mozilla/Netscape Favorites, or a proprietary format.[/quote]