topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature request: Sizable canvas.  (Read 7986 times)

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Feature request: Sizable canvas.
« on: February 18, 2012, 07:08 PM »
Like this:
Screenshot - 2_18_2012 , 4_57_14 PM.png

Or maybe it's already possible in some fashion?

Related to this request, is that if I drag another picture onto the original one, and it overlaps the edges of the canvas, then SSC should (optionally) increase the size of the canvas, rather than cropping off the overlapping parts...

Did that even make sense?  It made sense in my head.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature request: Sizable canvas.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 07:28 PM »
Although not as nice as your diagram, you can resize canvas from the Edit->Resize Image menu (Ctrl+C), just make sure you check the "Resize Canvas" checkbox on the right hand size.

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 11:51 AM »
Okay I've got it now...  For some reason the extended canvas area wasn't being remembered as part of the picture...  Reinstalled SSC though, and it seems to be working as expected.

For my own purposes, it would be nice if I could easily increase the canvas size by 100%.   Perhaps buttons like this:
Screenshot - 2_20_2012 , 9_40_32 AM_ver001.png
Seems like I often am comparing to version of the same image side-by-side, hence I need it to be doubled.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 12:23 PM »
For my own purposes, it would be nice if I could easily increase the canvas size by 100%.
[...]
Seems like I often am comparing to version of the same image side-by-side, hence I need it to be doubled.

what you'd actually want then, would be double the height *or* double the width. I suspect it's nearly as easy to add the relevant pixel number (as shown in dialogue) to canvas height or width...

edit/ I not knocking the idea... :)
Tom

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 01:16 PM »
Yea, it occurred to me (after posting) that the image's dimensions are at the bottom of the main SSC window.  Would be easy enough to enter  :)
The idea I had though, was to have each click add space in increments of the original image's dimensions (rather than simply doubling).

So if your image is 115 pixels wide, and you wanted four versions of the same image
4 in a row.png
You'd click in 3 times and the width would be 115, then 230, then 345, then 460.
Rather than a simple doubling which would yield 115, then 230, then 460, then 920.

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 10:22 PM »
I'd like to re-submit this as a feature-request... 
Dragging the "grab bar" of the canvas (top post) would be the best solution, but a quick way to add space to the left/right/top/bottom of the current canvas would be good too. 

The "Expand Canvas to Fit Objects" would meet this purpose, but you have to enlarge the canvas before you can even drag the pasted object far enough to the side.  (again, using the above work scenario)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 10:25 PM »
An idea:

Since it's so easy to CROP after enlarging canvas to cut it down to size, what about a really quick menu item to double the canvas width+height?

So basically, you quickly enlarge it, and then trim it down manually.

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 10:33 PM »
That would be excellent!   Remember though, it won't be helpful to double it by adding 50% to the left and 50% to the right...  Needs to be 100% added to one side or the other.

Question: Is it possible to allow the user to drag objects completely off of the canvas, and onto the grey space beyond?  Then I could zoom to 50%, drag the pasted image all the way to the side, then invoke "Expand canvas to fit objects"  ?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 10:35 PM »
it won't be helpful to double it by adding 50% to the left and 50% to the right...  Needs to be 100% added to one side or the other.
this defeats the idea.  the only way this idea makes sense if it adds to all sides for all scenarios and then lets user trim off what's not wanted.

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 10:46 PM »
this defeats the idea.  the only way this idea makes sense if it adds to all sides for all scenarios and then lets user trim off what's not wanted.
I see what you mean...  I guess for it to work you'd need to set width to 300% and height to 300%.    That would make it pretty big, but would still be useful, IMHO.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 11:06 PM »
You could also do 200% and user can always run it multiple times.  But yeah, the idea is the same.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 09:40 PM »
You could also do 200% and user can always run it multiple times.  But yeah, the idea is the same.

A quick option would be very useful, and running it multiple times would be simple enough. I'd probably want something like 25% or 50% or 10% as if I needed the canvas to be very much larger, there'd likely be something else that I wanted to do, and I'd likely just end up doing that in Photoshop. But a small amount like 50% would be perfect to add in something like a text explanation below a screenshot or a heading/title above one.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 03:47 PM »
The architecture for doing this is already there, just like in my request of doubling the space to one side.  As in the screenshot above

It's just a bit cumbersome to use...
Maybe it's time to make Screenshot Captor scriptable so I can make a little macro to run the opteration  ;)   hee hee