topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A month with my Surface RT  (Read 7414 times)

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
A month with my Surface RT
« on: November 27, 2012, 06:16 AM »
Read about Win8 RT http://encosia.com/a...-with-my-surface-rt/

After just a few hours of using the Surface, I realized that I was reaching up from the keyboard to tap and scroll without thinking about it on a regular basis. Having a responsive touch screen a few inches from where my fingers naturally rest on the Touch Cover completely changes what feels natural.

Well, this was most debated feature in blogs/forums, that using a touch screen along with keyboard is a no-no. But after reading the above post, I think MS has somehow got what Apple already has, natural user interface.

Obviously I too would touch the screen to load a different code file or highlight-cut etc. Much easier and natural than moving the mouse to the exact position.

Something do work together.

Regards,

Anand

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A month with my Surface RT
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 07:29 AM »
After just a few hours of using the Surface, I realized that I was reaching up from the keyboard to tap and scroll without thinking about it on a regular basis.
(author's emphasis)
cant comment much beyond saying that with win8 on a laptop without a touch screen I've more than once went for the screen in the tiled interface. Of course it didnt work for me :( :)

Having used iOS and Android tablets almost daily for a couple years, Windows 8 is the best tablet operating system I’ve used yet. There’s really no comparison. Once you learn the new gestures well enough to use them effortlessly, Windows 8 makes those older operating systems feel as dated as they look.
(author's emphasis)
Nice to see he rates it so highly

Gotta say though:
Using the Win8 desktop with a touchpad is a big PIA. Youre just moving mouse from a to b and things open and dont close (mainly I-think-it's-called the charmsbar with they time plastered big in the bottom-left quadrant of the screen).
They need to give the otion to deactivate certain stuff in the desktop.
Of course one day, all screens will be touch sensitive. Maybe.
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:49 AM »
Just finished the second half of the review. They sound really nice all round.
It is a real pity that you cant install software (x86) - especially seeing as you can get such a nice keyboard - also considering that the new pro version "is rumoured to ... have a full-power Intel processor, a stylus/digitizer, and other PC-class hardware."

Maybe someone will fix that for them though...
Tom

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 08:58 AM »
Of course one day, all screens will be touch sensitive. Maybe.

Will that be really quicker (and ergonomically better) to lift and move my arm to touch a desktop screen than let's say make a teeny gesture with my thumb with a trackball mouse? I can see why it might be the case with a tablet but I have doubts re desktop monitors... Even voice command sounds like a better (future) option (though I do like my trackball mouse...).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 09:20 AM by dr_andus »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 09:08 AM »
^ yes I know what you mean! I was being a little ironic there (even though it may well be the case).
I didnt intend to bring the thread off-topic btw.
Desktop screen is a different topic really (i.e. -no offence intended- but seeing as it's so hard to keep win8 threads ontopic I would suggest it for another thread).
Tom

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 10:33 AM »
Desktop screen is a different topic really (i.e. -no offence intended- but seeing as it's so hard to keep win8 threads ontopic I would suggest it for another thread).

Right. Me too will not stretch my hand from keyboard to desktop, in fact I am a keyboard junky and reach for the mouse only in rare case.

Let us hear from users who are using or tried a tablet+keyboard combination and not go in wrong direction of negative scenario.

When I use the laptop at office to demonstrate my program to users, many a times I touch the screen with my finger to point the area I am referring to. Imagine if I could even fire the event from it, I would not have to fiddle with the touch pad now and then.

Regards,

Anand

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 10:54 AM »
When I use the laptop at office to demonstrate my program to users, many a times I touch the screen with my finger to point the area I am referring to. Imagine if I could even fire the event from it, I would not have to fiddle with the touch pad now and then.

Sure, for laptops Win8 makes more sense (especially as a demonstration and sales tool, as you suggest), as the keyboard is a lot more crammed and closer to the screen.

So it seems to me that a divide is opening up between desktop users on the one hand, and tablet and laptop users on the other hand (pun unintended), as far as Win8's suitability/usability and MS's share of (future) attention is concerned.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 11:25 AM »
in fact I am a keyboard junky and reach for the mouse only in rare case.

It is this very reason that I think that I wouldn't mind a touch screen.  Especially on laptops where the touch pad gets in the way so much!  No mouse to pack, no pointer to move out of the way.  The only thing I use my mouse for is to traverse screens from one computer to another (and I really need to set up the kb shortcuts for that), gaming, and websites that aren't kb friendly.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 03:22 PM »
thought I'd cross-post this from the "Are you going to wait for Windows 9?" thread, as it's mainly about the Surface:

I hope MS will be still around to launch Win9 because at the moment things are not looking good. Some of their strategies seem decidedly amateurish. Take for example the advertising that focuses on the fact that Surface comes with a kickstand. Seriously? That's the most important thing about it?? And who came up with that amazing name, "Surface"?

Then take the ever-increasing options for the consumer. Do I buy Win8 or WinRT, Metro, or Win8 Pro? Do I need a keyboard for an extra $100 or not? Do I buy an MS manufactured device or one from another manufacturer? Which chipset is better, ARM or Intel? Can I run my Win7 software on the Surface or not? And why should I pay $200-300 more for this than the alternatives (incl. laptops)?

Confused customers don't buy. It's just so much simpler to go for the latest iPad and not have to deal with any of this nonsense.

Take e.g. this:
The 64GB Windows 8 Pro running Intel will be priced $899 and excludes the touch cover, which retails for around $100.

Compare that to the 64GB iPad from Apple, which is priced at $699. The Android-powered 64GB Samsung Galaxy Tab, meanwhile, comes in at around $889, no keypad required.

The problem for Microsoft here is that the keypad is essential on the Windows 8 Pro edition, because – as Microsoft points out in the supporting blog – Windows 8 Pro will run your existing Windows 7 apps, and those apps won’t be built for touch.

This is not MS-bashing on my part. I genuinely want them to succeed because I've invested into this relationship and I love my software on Win7. But this is increasingly looking desperate. Ballmer has looked like a disaster for quite some time. There must be something seriously wrong with their internal processes if they are not able to bring in more talented managers than the current ones who are confusing customers.
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 05:51 PM »
I played around with the surface for a while at Best Buy today while I was waiting around.  It's actually very compelling, until you have to go to the desktop.  Then it becomes frustrating.  Of course, I didn't have a keyboard nor mouse.  But the classic desktop very much takes you out of the tablet world.  I still think that hybridizing isn't the problem- it's presentation.  If you get a WinRT you should be in the tablet interface- and everything should be there.  If you're getting a desktop/laptop, it should be the same for the classic desktop.  Have the option- sure.  But there should be a definite divide.  Then the Surface Pro could bridge the gap for those that actually want to go that way.  This sitting on the fence thing isn't good for anyone, IMO.

And the price... that's another sticking point.  Especially if half of the available space on it is going to come pre-filled.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 06:19 PM »
Every once in a while, I will come across a website or application that, for some strange reason, I feel compelled to touch the controls rather than mouse them.  It's actually a strange feeling.
Thing is, I've never used Win8, never had a tablet device nor a touchscreen phone.  Where did I get this compulsion?  Dunno, maybe it's actually a very natural action that's only now being exploited in computer UIs (touch screens have been around for a very long time, I'm aware, just not on such a level of exposure), but we've all trained ourselves to use keyboard + mouse, so it doesn't seem "right" at first.
Personally, I'm looking forward to the day when the mouse is obsolete, but I still believe we've got a ways to go...