topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 10:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Micro Men (BBC, 2009) - Docufiction on English micro informatic pioneers  (Read 3549 times)

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member

IMDB Entry - Micro Men (2009)
In 1979 Clive Sinclair, British inventor of the pocket calculator, frustrated by the lack of home investment in his project,the electric car, also opposes former assistant Chris Curry's belief that he can successfully market a micro-chip for a home computer. A parting of the ways sees Curry, in partnership with the Austrian Hermann Hauser and using whizz kid Cambridge students, set up his own, rival firm to Sinclair Radionics, Acorn. Acorn beat Sinclair to a lucrative contract supplying the BBC with machines for a computer series. From here on it is a battle for supremacy to gain the upper hand in the domestic market

A nice TV production about some very interesting times.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Very cool find.  Will watch at home later. 
I often wondered what happened to Sinclair, especially since they had some very cool things going on in the '80s (first time I ever saw multi-tasking with separate "windows") that apparently didn't make it to the states except for that pocket calculator on steroids called the Timex-Sinclair.
I guess now I'll find out...

Mark0

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
The movie is very enjoyable, even if the Clive have be portraied as a bit too much "temperamental".
It surely bring back some memories!  ;D

AFAIK, the latest thing Clive Sinclare's involved is, surprise suprise, again a small personal vehicle:
Sinclair Research - X1