ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

External DVD Writer

(1/4) > >>

CleverCat:
Hi - I'm seriously thinking of getting this:

Link to Kalahari.com

My current LiteOn Writer is refusing to eject the tray! Tried uninstalling Driver and rebooting but no go. It got stuck after a decoding error during a burn and although Mum managed to force open with paper clip to retrieve disc it now is well and truly stuck!  >:(

Any 'caveats' for an external usb writer? I don't use my drive much so speed is not a top priority!

Thanks

CC

4wd:
Don't you have a currently non-used internal IDE DVD writer still in your machine?

You could reconnect it back up - depending on whether it was working or not when it was disconnected - might get you a few more burns before having to expend some money.

mouser:
Any 'caveats' for an external usb writer?
--- End quote ---

all the ones i've seen require TWO (2) usb ports to work reliably.

Ath:
As mouser said, but in other words: Get an external power supply for use with the writer. (Or at least a writer with an external power connector, so you can add the psu later)

4wd:
Any 'caveats' for an external usb writer?
--- End quote ---

all the ones i've seen require TWO (2) usb ports to work reliably.-mouser (November 25, 2012, 04:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

The ones I've seen, (in recent years), quote 1.5A on the drive - that's the output from three (3) USB2.0 ports.

All good external writers come with a PSU, eg. Sony.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version