topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to Beat Facial Recognition Software without Looking Like a Bank Robber  (Read 2923 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
I read an article on defeating facial recognition here:

http://www.thedailys...a-bank-robber_112012

In the Orwellian Police State that is our world, facial recognition software is cropping up more and more. From the ever-encroaching Facebook to local police departments to airport checkpoints, it’s becoming harder to be anonymous and protect your personal privacy.

This means that coming soon, to a law enforcement officer near you, a simple photo snapped with a device that looks similar to a cell phone will enable you to be identified. “According to New Scientist, facial recognition systems have reached the point where they can match a single face from a pool of 1.6 million mugshots/passport photos with 92% accuracy, in under 1.2 seconds.”

The “hacktivist” group Anonymous offers some suggestions too.  The video below outlines a simple hat with LED lights that are invisible to people around you but complete obscure the face of the wearer.

Here's the video:

I'm pretty familiar with some facial recognition APIs, but not so sure about what is being claimed above. (The stuff I know is very high level, and this is a lower level question closer to the actual algorithms.)

Does anyone know enough about facial recognition to comment on ways to defeat it? (The make-up stuff.)

I suppose the question there is simply about light and cameras - for the Anonymous recommendation. Anyone with some engineering background to back that up? I know a fair bit, and would likely bet on it, but... I've not checked the engineering behind it as it would take me pretty long to do.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There is no way to change the geometry of ones face with makeup (e.g. your eyes and mouth don't move).

However I would be inclined to believe the IR/LED option is possible. Actually it shouldn't be that hard to test with an eyeball cam and a TV remote (which work off IR).