topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Why did it never occur to me.. You can wash a keyboard in water.  (Read 76073 times)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Why did it never occur to me.. You can wash a keyboard in water.
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2012, 04:50 AM »
I change the hose on my vacum sweeper to the other spot so that it blows instead of sucks.  Even if you put an attachment on it, the pressure won't be all that great since the hose size is large.  Blows dry air too.

I also use it to blow out the inside of the computer.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2012, 10:39 AM »
If the B&D vac had a reverse it would be ideal.  But this pump is working out pretty well. I blew off the loose dust that was on the back of my stereo for the last 10 years.  Just a little area in the back where the bottom unit is deeper than the one on top. All wires in the way. Wicked pain to pull the stuff off by yourself.  This gets the loose dust.  My desk is the cleanest it's been in a long time. The only way to get all of it would be to clear the desk and wipe with paper towels and Windex or something similar.

Big improvement. Now I just have to figure out how the get the dust off of hundreds of CD cases without wiping each one individually. :)

edit: another good use I found for the pump.  TV screen is not really dirty since I Windexed it a couple weeks ago. But it has collected a bit of dust.  A quick blow off with the pump saves me getting out the spray bottle and paper towels.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:08 PM by MilesAhead »

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2012, 04:08 PM »
edit: another good use I found for the pump.  TV screen is not really dirty since I Windexed it a couple weeks ago. But it has collected a bit of dust.  A quick blow off with the pump saves me getting out the spray bottle and paper towels.

I've had quite good results on CRT/LCD screens, as well as keyboards, using a Swiffer duster.  It works almost as well as the TV commercials show  :Thmbsup:, no moisture requiired  :-*.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2012, 04:59 PM »
I'm with you there on the duster. I use a synthetic feather duster on my CRT monitor and TV screen. I only Windex 'em a few times a year.  On the HDTV I'm a bit more prone to break out the Windex. Sometimes I turn off the A/C and open the windows there using a fan to pull in the cool air. It's more prone to encounter tire grit from the nearby road.  It helps cut down on the electric bill but that tire grit is a pita.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2012, 05:59 PM »

robinsiebler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2012, 07:35 PM »
This is no laughing matter! I challenge you to a duel! Hand grenades at 10 paces!

You probably want to know the universe when you can't even find your way around Chinatown.

Only Chinese people can find their way around Chinatown! Everything is in Chinese!
Happiness is laced with shards of pain

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2012, 07:58 PM »
This is no laughing matter! I challenge you to a duel! Hand grenades at 10 paces!

You probably want to know the universe when you can't even find your way around Chinatown.

Only Chinese people can find their way around Chinatown! Everything is in Chinese!

You're not big on Woody Allen quotes eh?

robinsiebler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2012, 01:15 PM »
I'm not big on Woody Allen, period. :p
Happiness is laced with shards of pain

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2012, 03:02 PM »
I'm not big on Woody Allen, period. :p

C'est la vie. I'm not afraid of dying. I just don't want to be there when it happens. :)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2013, 06:03 AM »
Forget keyboards. I often wonder why it doesn't occur to some people it's possible to wash their hands in water. Y'know, like maybe once or twice a year - whether they need it or not?

I was at a client site last week that had a collection of the grungiest, dirtiest (and any other "est" you can think of) keyboards imaginable. And this was a...well let's just say they were in as "white collar" a profession as they come.

I was tempted to put biohazard warning stickers on these things - assuming I could get them to stick.

Maybe you could send me one of those bio stickers - It'll stick   ;D   Yes I wash my hands but not every few hours.

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2013, 07:06 PM »
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 01:44 PM by bit »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2016, 03:05 PM »
Just shows to go you, you can wash a keyboard in water, but you can't make it drink.  :D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2019, 03:55 AM »
I'm resurrecting this old thread because I just saw a recent Linus Tech Tips video where they experiment with different keyboard washing methods. It reminded me of the discussion that took place here all these years ago.

The tl;dw version is that washing your keyboard in the dishwasher is as good as meticulously washing it by hand, as long as you remove the keycaps.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 01:11 PM by Deozaan »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2019, 08:28 AM »
No, it isn't. And it never will be. It is just a lazy way of doing things.

Whatever time you think to save with this method, it all gets lost with the 1 week of drying out your keyboard.

Water quality is highly important for the fool that attempts to do this anyway. It isn't the water that is killing your electronics, it is the additives that eat away the connection lines on the board. That takes a few weeks and you'll end up with a busted keyboard. So, never ever expose electronics to any type of water if you can prevent it.

A spent (yet clean) toothbrush, a damp cloth and a tool to remove key caps is all you need to clean up a mechanical keyboard and should take about an hour, maybe two.
Membrane keyboards usually consist of two halves. The top half contains the top with all the keys. You should disassemble your keyboard and you can safely clean the top half with water, a sponge and soap to do the dishes manually. First, use a pretty strong stream of water to clean out the gunk, like hair, food and other bigger "bits", then apply the sponge with soap to get rid of the remainder. Most, if not all ink spots disappear as well. Then use the same stream of water to get rid of the soap. Let it leak out for a bit, then take the top half outside and wave the top half with force. Centrifugal forces will remove most of the water that remained.

After that you'll need a drying cloth to wipe the rest. The top half is now clean and ready for re-assembly. Total time: 30 minutes with a gunky keyboard. Been doing that myself for almost 15 years now and haven't lost a keyboard since. And I usually clean them every 6 months or so. Then it takes about 15 minutes as keyboards don't have that much time to build up gunk.

However, this method will remove lubricant at some point or another, which results in one or more keys being more or less stuck. If that happens, I use graphite in powder form in the places that I think cause friction and in no time the key(s) work(s) again like new.

Bought those keyboards for a marvelous price (about 10 USD each) almost 15 years ago and while they do show some wear and tear after that period of extensive use and (partial) exposition to sunlight, they still work as they should and the employees here still love to work with them.

Gateway.keyboard.pngWhy did it never occur to me.. You can wash a keyboard in water.
Seriously, these are very good keyboards. Whether you get these with P/S2 or USB connector, you won't be disappointed.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2019, 05:11 PM »
Spent an hour or so yesterday cleaning my G15 V2, (membrane type), first time in about 5 years. Split the case and popped all the keys out.

Chux wipe, sash brush, and a mild spray cleaner - did it while editing JavaScript, (plugged in an old PS2 KB).

Once you get into the flow it becomes pretty automatic and you don't need watch what you're doing, had an image of the kb on screen and popped the keys in as I went. Also didn't need to do anything in the way of drying as by the time I'd popped in a couple of keys any previously cleaned ones had air dried.

Never really noticed it the last time but the top half of the G15 was designed with no real ingress for dirt/etc into the bottom where the membrane/contact board/electronics are, that was still very clean and didn't need anything done.