topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Why did it never occur to me.. You can wash a keyboard in water.  (Read 76037 times)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Why did it never occur to me.. You can wash a keyboard in water.
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2012, 08:25 PM »
Baking soda is good for loosening soap buildup and many forms of grease and oil. Warm water and baking soda works especially well for cleaning hair brushes and combs. Alkalies generally have it in for soaps. And are far better than most "safe to use" acids at removing it.

The only risk in using it in a drain is if there's a huge soap scum or crud buildup on the walls of a pipe or sink trap. Sometimes baking soda will loosen it enough that it all comes off the pipe in one big clump and clogs the up works. Enough hot water and additional baking soda will loosen it eventually. But that can take a few days. And if there's a big wad of hair (freed from the soap scum) making up part of the blockage, all the baking soda in the world won't budge it.

I skip the vinegar and just use a half cup of baking soda and a quart or so of very hot water in my drains from time to time. Dump it in, let it sit for about ten minutes, and then flush it with clean water from the hot water tap for about a minute or two. It seems to help. But it's more a preventative maintenance thing than a real drain cleaner AFAIC.

YMMV. 8)

Yep, what you said.  Besides, the baking soda only neutralizes the vinegar, which is why you get all the fizzing...

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2012, 08:29 PM »
About using vinegar and baking soda for a drain cleaner.  That old formula is pretty much an old wives tale.  The only thing those two together do is make a bunch of fizz.  It don't create any kind of acid to eat away the crap found in drains.

You know vinegarw is 5% acidity, right?  (at least from the store, in the USA)
  There are a lot of things with more acidity than that, like some soaps.  You can take a drink of vinegar without any side effects other than perhaps a little indigestion.  Some people take a shot of vinegar three times a day to help them lose weight.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2012, 08:36 PM »
There are a lot of things with more acidity than that, like some soaps.  You can take a drink of vinegar without any side effects other than perhaps a little indigestion.  Some people take a shot of vinegar three times a day to help them lose weight.

Vinegar was, supposedly, the marching drink of the Roman legions.  'Course, theirs was over-aged - spoiled? - wine, not exactly the same thing as, say, the distilled vinegar we buy in local stores.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2012, 09:45 AM »
Yep, what you said.  Besides, the baking soda only neutralizes the vinegar, which is why you get all the fizzing...
Long time since chemistry class. But I seem to remember a solution is produced with carbonic acid.  The fizz in Coca Cola.  And we all know coke cleans rust, sludge, just about anything. If your vinegar bottle is try pop open a can of Coke Classic and give it a try.  Your keyboard will be clean, but very sticky. :)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2012, 09:56 AM »
Your keyboard will be clean, but very sticky. :)

Uh... I think Sticky is the opposite of clean...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2012, 11:45 AM »
The sugar in Coke can also corrode contacts and components.

We used to replace a lot of damaged laptop mobos thanks to soft drink spills.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2012, 12:57 PM »
Well if Coke won't do it, there's always battery acid
Your keyboard will be clean, but very sticky. :)

Uh... I think Sticky is the opposite of clean...

I think the primary antonym for clean is dirty.
Is everyone a straight man? Just throw the thing on the lawn and let the sprinkler take care of it. :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2012, 01:49 PM »
Yes... But Sticky is a loosely related (in a third cousin sort of way) synonym of the antonym of clean.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2012, 02:02 PM »
If your vinegar bottle is try pop open a can of Coke Classic and give it a try.  Your keyboard will be clean, but very sticky. :)

Diet Coke?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2012, 03:30 PM »
Yes... But Sticky is a loosely related (in a third cousin sort of way) synonym of the antonym of clean.

Nah. I've worked with glues that were very very clean and very very sticky.  :)

For me a paper towel with a bit of alcohol is good enough.  Some on a Q-Tip for the tops of the keys.  And that's only on occasion. Most of the time I just vac.

Which reminds me. They used to make a gizmo that amounted to a flashlight with a small blower on the end. Instead of canned air you could just use that. Too bad the construction was so flimsy.  They seemed to die in a couple of months. But it made me think of a battery-free solution that would last for years.  A junior bellows. Take the thing that hangs by the fireplace and reduce it to about 1/4 size.  Have it rigged out with a spring so you could work it with one hand.  Just squeeze the handles and a jet of air is produced.  Small enough to get in under the old CRT monitor. But nobody would produce them because they would last too long.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2012, 03:35 PM »
If your vinegar bottle is try pop open a can of Coke Classic and give it a try.  Your keyboard will be clean, but very sticky. :)

Diet Coke?

At least my keyboard wouldn't gain weight. :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2012, 05:49 PM »
From what I've read, Coke/Pepsi/whatever makes an excellent toilet bowl cleaner. :D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2012, 09:22 PM »
From what I've read, Coke/Pepsi/whatever makes an excellent toilet bowl cleaner. :D

Makes ya wonder if 7-Up would work, don' it ... is caffeine a factor   :P?

robinsiebler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2012, 04:18 PM »
I have a Logitech G-19 keyboard. All of the keys are caked with dust on the sides and between them. I don't know how to clean it and looking at it disgusts me. What is the best way to handle this?
Happiness is laced with shards of pain

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2012, 05:33 PM »
I have a Logitech G-19 keyboard. All of the keys are caked with dust on the sides and between them. I don't know how to clean it and looking at it disgusts me. What is the best way to handle this?

I've found either positive or negative air pressure will work. I have Black and Decker rechargeable vacuum.  There's a brush attachment that does a pretty good job with the keyboard.  Also I had a flashlight blower gadget. Trouble with the "flashlight fan" concept is the inexpensive ones are flimsy.  For the rugged ones they want like $80.  After searching the web I ordered a couple of rubber squeeze air bulbs that are supposed to be used for cleaning camera equipment.  They are coming from China.  They may arrive before the end of the year. It's hard to say with the Christmas mail rush.  In any case, if they squirt enough air to blow the dust off the keyboard or inside a computer case, I'll post.  I'm hoping they're good enough to blow the dust out from under my CRT and off my docking stations. I think for inside the cases if I take the side cover off and put that side down on newspaper that will get the majority of the dust.  Then just wisp around with the rubber air bulb to finish off.

Not much of a risk to find out.  They accepted PayPal. 2 bulbs for less than $5 with free shipping via mail. I hope they work out because I really don't like the canned air bit.  Seems like there should be a simple mechanical way to blow some dust away without spending a fortune.

I found the link

if you want to take a chance. :)

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:44 PM by MilesAhead »

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2012, 05:45 PM »
Shame that every keyboard I had had, had always some issues after cleaning, mostly: long keys (Shift, Space) not functioning properly.
No matter how I bend metal parts below keys, it always ends up with new keyboard.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2012, 06:03 PM »
Shame that every keyboard I had had, had always some issues after cleaning, mostly: long keys (Shift, Space) not functioning properly.
No matter how I bend metal parts below keys, it always ends up with new keyboard.
-fenixproductions (December 10, 2012, 05:45 PM)

The keyboard that I posted pictures above is working perfectly after being cleaned. Better than it was before. But I didn't bend anything, and only had to clean the top portion of the keyboard.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2012, 06:51 PM »

Nah. I've worked with glues that were very very clean and very very sticky.  :)

For me a paper towel with a bit of alcohol is good enough.  Some on a Q-Tip for the tops of the keys.  And that's only on occasion. Most of the time I just vac.

Which reminds me. They used to make a gizmo that amounted to a flashlight with a small blower on the end. Instead of canned air you could just use that. Too bad the construction was so flimsy.  They seemed to die in a couple of months. But it made me think of a battery-free solution that would last for years.  A junior bellows. Take the thing that hangs by the fireplace and reduce it to about 1/4 size.  Have it rigged out with a spring so you could work it with one hand.  Just squeeze the handles and a jet of air is produced.  Small enough to get in under the old CRT monitor. But nobody would produce them because they would last too long.
  I still have one of those keyboard cleaner things, but instead of blowing it sucks.  And it sucks in more ways than one too, don't have the suction to pick up a hair off any smooth surface.  I just use the vacuum cleaner attachment with the fuzzy tip....

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2012, 07:49 PM »
Forget keyboards. I often wonder why it doesn't occur to some people it's possible to wash their hands in water. Y'know, like maybe once or twice a year - whether they need it or not?

I was at a client site last week that had a collection of the grungiest, dirtiest (and any other "est" you can think of) keyboards imaginable. And this was a...well let's just say they were in as "white collar" a profession as they come.

I was tempted to put biohazard warning stickers on these things - assuming I could get them to stick.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:56 PM by 40hz »

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2012, 07:57 PM »
Forget keyboards. I often wonder why it doesn't occur to some people it's possible to wash their hands in water. Y'know, like maybe once or twice a year - whether they need it or not?

I was at a client site last week that had a collection of the grungiest, dirtiest (and any other "est" you can think of) keyboards imaginable. And this was a...well let's just say they were in as "white collar" a profession as they come.

I was tempted to put biohazard warning stickers on these things - assuming I could get them to stick.

peopledie.jpg

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2012, 11:51 PM »
 I still have one of those keyboard cleaner things, but instead of blowing it sucks.  And it sucks in more ways than one too, don't have the suction to pick up a hair off any smooth surface.  I just use the vacuum cleaner attachment with the fuzzy tip....

I'm not talking about those useless pen size vacuums. This is the one I have, except it's a newer model naturally. Basically they changed the buttons to look more "modern."  But the body and innards are the same. The bit with the arrow slides out. There's a small brush attachment that inserts.  It has quite a bit of suction so that only the first speed is required.  The brush prevents the vacuum from reaching the point of pulling the key tops off.

It would be perfect for cleaning the desktop area under the monitor, inside the case, docking stations etc. if they just provided a flexible attachment.  But with a 19" CRT the angles produced by the stand are too radical to negotiate. Much easier just to blow the dust off.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:59 PM by MilesAhead »

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2012, 08:29 PM »
 I still have one of those keyboard cleaner things, but instead of blowing it sucks.  And it sucks in more ways than one too, don't have the suction to pick up a hair off any smooth surface.  I just use the vacuum cleaner attachment with the fuzzy tip....

I'm not talking about those useless pen size vacuums. This is the one I have, except it's a newer model naturally. Basically they changed the buttons to look more "modern."  But the body and innards are the same. The bit with the arrow slides out. There's a small brush attachment that inserts.  It has quite a bit of suction so that only the first speed is required.  The brush prevents the vacuum from reaching the point of pulling the key tops off.

It would be perfect for cleaning the desktop area under the monitor, inside the case, docking stations etc. if they just provided a flexible attachment.  But with a 19" CRT the angles produced by the stand are too radical to negotiate. Much easier just to blow the dust off.

I just have to be careful with the vacuum.  My Dyson has some real powerful suction.  lol  I also keep canned air in stock.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2012, 02:40 AM »
Leaf blower.

:Thmbsup:

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2012, 05:00 AM »
A former boss of mine cleaned his PC's at least once a year with an air pump intended for balloons. That thing was not too big (so you could put it in whatever angle necessary) and more than enough force to blow away any dust.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2012, 09:16 AM »

I just have to be careful with the vacuum.  My Dyson has some real powerful suction.  lol  I also keep canned air in stock.

I can see the commercial now.  A guy points the brush nozzle at the keyboard. A bunch of key caps fly off and get sucked up. Then it shows them swirling around in the cannister.  The guy shuts off the vacuum.  A close-up of the transparent cannister. Some of the keys have stuck to the side.. right side up.  They spell out D - Y - S - O - N.   ;)