topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Why did it never occur to me.. You can wash a keyboard in water.  (Read 76049 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Why did it never occur to me.. You can wash a keyboard in water.
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2012, 10:30 PM »
I only use cow urine on Gateway PCs.  Moo.

I currently have two (2) Gateways that could benefit from your process  :P :P :P.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2012, 02:54 AM »
Got a friend that sent me something to publish on my blog awhile back, mainly because he's too lazy to start a blog of his own. Brief instructions on how to dry and repair circuit boards using a toaster oven. His rule of thumb is if it's already toast, you have nothing to lose by toasting it.

You'd be amazed at the things you can fix with a toaster oven

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2012, 09:35 AM »
I swear I haven't been drinkin', smokin', or taking pills/capsules/caplets. I have to figure either DEA is burning stuff from the evidence room(and yeah Marcus Welby comes right to your house at 3 AM to make sure you take your free medication) or there's something in the water supply.  But I'm getting like this marketing idea. Might be too late for this Christmas buying season.  But I'm thinking

Keyboard Carwash

At only $19.95 +SH and you can get the 2nd one free for only $150 SH, it's totally powered by water pressure.  You put one of those miracle solvents in a compartment that meters it out.  The water pressure powers a little conveyer belt to move the keyboard at just the right pace. You can imagine the rest, solvent section, then rinse, then hot wax, then onto the blowers.  Guaranteed to improve your typing speed by 10% since psychological studies prove people with crummy looking keyboards use .05% of the brains being embarrassed out them.  Distracting.

On second thought, I think da' DEA be burnin' sumpthin' 'round he-ah fo' sho'!!
I need this here cup of coffee bad.   :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2012, 09:42 AM »
^ do that one as a NANY Miles :D
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 10:04 AM »
^ do that one as a NANY Miles :D

Ronco prolly already has the patent. :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2012, 01:13 PM »
I prefer to take mine to the local stream where the village women do their laundry. I dip it in the current a few times, then pound it on a rock to extract the excess water.  :)

No, no, no, no!  I said steam clean it!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2012, 02:14 PM »
Heh heh.  What a guy! Always tongue in creek. :)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2012, 02:56 PM »
(To Renny minus quotes because this is from my phone)
I get the edgy 'thang about your post but it's a profound economic puzzle. Besides the value if time, remember to include the risk of mistake damage. To me if I can't just wipe it down with Lysol wipes and paperclips, I lose a lot of confidence taking the whole thing apart etc.

Weren't we saying you have to wait *days* before you can use it again? So ... what ... I now need a backup keyboard for a week while I wait for the $30 one, only to find I messed it up anyway and now I need a new $30 one?

Bleh. *That's* the full cost matrix of these cute little projects ... for a $30 keyboard. (I'll leave the equations to my betters. Extra credit variables : pets, children (file under pets! Hehe) )

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2012, 03:48 PM »
@Tao,
not at all wanting to be smug (I swear) - I always have a backup keyboard - either an old one or a cheap (10 euro) new one.

* tom roots under the desk where did I store the fecking thing ...

edit/ found it :p
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2012, 04:41 PM »
One of the benefits of using a kvma switch(which helps to offset some of the pita aspects) is that purchase of a new tower yields yet another backup mouse and keyboard. Unfortunately the mouse is usually a new fangled shape not as comfortable as the old. The keyboard doesn't have as solid a feel. So I have to hope the ones I'm accustomed to keep on working. I've worn the paint off the left mouse button and can look through the clear plastic. I'd say it's definitely broken in. :)

I use Black & Decker battery vac to clean the keyboard. Occasionally a Q-Tip moistened with alcohol. I'm fastidious as it is. I only have coffee at the desk and wash my hands unless they are clean and dry, before typing.  No ham sandwiches with mustard here. :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2012, 05:12 PM »
(To Renny minus quotes because this is from my phone)
I get the edgy 'thang about your post but it's a profound economic puzzle. Besides the value if time, remember to include the risk of mistake damage. To me if I can't just wipe it down with Lysol wipes and paperclips, I lose a lot of confidence taking the whole thing apart etc.

Weren't we saying you have to wait *days* before you can use it again? So ... what ... I now need a backup keyboard for a week while I wait for the $30 one, only to find I messed it up anyway and now I need a new $30 one?

Bleh. *That's* the full cost matrix of these cute little projects ... for a $30 keyboard. (I'll leave the equations to my betters. Extra credit variables : pets, children (file under pets! Hehe) )

Downtime is a no-no, so yeah, good point. I have several keyboards, so there's always an extra around somewhere.

not at all wanting to be smug (I swear) - I always have a backup keyboard - either an old one or a cheap (10 euro) new one.

An extra keyboard and mouse are always a good thing to have.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2012, 11:32 PM »
Well, coincidentally, my 'P' key started to stick (probably crumbs or chocolate or something), and so...

The keyboard:

Super-Simple-cropped-DSC_0590-841x317.jpgWhy did it never occur to me.. You can wash a keyboard in water.

I:

1) Unscrewed the 15 screws in the back,
2) Removed the front keyboard (the electronics are on the bottom),
3) Washed the keyboard in the sink thoroughly,
4) Shook it dry - violently - then used a hair dryer to get the last few drops,
5) Reassembled the keyboard.

Super-Simple-cropped-DSC_0592-813x515.jpgWhy did it never occur to me.. You can wash a keyboard in water.

Lo and behold, I never had to wet any of the electronics, and it's working fine as I'm typing on it now. :D

It didn't take long at all. Much shorter than a trip to the store.

Incidentally, I resized & cropped the photos with this. :) Super-fast! ;)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2012, 01:00 AM »
Heh that takes more Mojo than I have to spare :P

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2012, 09:52 AM »
For 8 years I have a very Basic Gateway multimedia keyboard, which I clean every 6 months. Taking it apart and clean the top half with lots of water and a toothbrush. Almost looks like a new one (some minor discolorozation from sunlight) after that. And better yet, it still types like a champ!

I would say my keyboard is almost as solid as those IBM keyboards. Techies know which type/model I mean :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2012, 10:27 AM »
Well, coincidentally, my 'P' key started to stick (probably crumbs or chocolate or something), and so...Washed the keyboard in the sink thoroughly

Good job you rinsed it or you'd have a soap 'p' keyboard.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2012, 10:33 AM »
I would say my keyboard is almost as solid as those IBM keyboards.
Luckily for me I still use Northgate OmniKey Ultra keyboards that I bought somewhere around the early 90's. 119 keys, as good as the day they were bought.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2012, 10:55 AM »
I would say my keyboard is almost as solid as those IBM keyboards.
Luckily for me I still use Northgate OmniKey Ultra keyboards that I bought somewhere around the early 90's. 119 keys, as good as the day they were bought.
-cranioscopical (November 25, 2012, 10:33 AM)

I still have two Omnikeys too. :) :Thmbsup:

Best keyboards ever made in my opinion - although the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard isn't a bad alternative choice even if the key layout is a little strange in places and it feels nothing like an Omnikey. The decent touch response on the Logitech is supposedly due to something they call the PerfectStroke key system.

The PerfectStroke key system was developed from our desire to put the best parts of a laptop’s keyboard into a more comfortable, full sized keyboard to create an unforgettable typing experience that makes every key stroke smooth, comfortable, and quiet. This system uses the scissor-key mechanism found on laptop keyboards for an improved key feeling and faster response time. To create this affect, micro-scissors are added under the keys to help control the force and travel of the keystroke.

Key travel is the vertical distance required for each keystroke, or how far down the key moves when you press it. Whereas laptops typically have a key travel of 2 to 2.5mm, research shows that a longer key travel improves your typing comfort and requires less force. So, we gave PerfectStroke a key travel of 3.2mm. If, like me, you like the feeling of your laptop’s keyboard, but wish it were more comfortable, you will love our keyboards with PerfectStroke.

I really like the way it feels. And you can absolutely fly on the thing. YMMV
 8)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2012, 04:43 PM »
Best keyboards ever made in my opinion

I was very tempted to get one of those. Especially back then I was accustomed to working the function keys on the left on my old XT keyboard with the left pinkie. But at that time $89 or thereabouts, was a serious chunk of change for me.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2012, 06:23 PM »
I've mostly used basic keyboards and am used to them. I have one of those fancy Microsoft USB multimedia funky keyboards, but never use it except when I need a USB keyboard.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2012, 06:40 PM »
was accustomed to working the function keys on the left on my old XT keyboard with the left pinkie. But at that time $89 or thereabouts, was a serious chunk of change for me.

Still is a serious chunk of change for me for just a keyboard. ;D

But it was for business use so it was easier to justify the price back when I bought them. ;D

The main reason I bought the Logitech Illuminated was because I desperately needed to get another good keyboard and found one on clearance at Staples for $29. I never would have paid the regular $69 they were asking for it.
 8)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2012, 09:25 PM »
the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard isn't a bad alternative

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2012, 08:20 PM »

About using vinegar and baking soda for a drain cleaner.  That old formula is pretty much an old wives tale.  The only thing those two together do is make a bunch of fizz.  It don't create any kind of acid to eat away the crap found in drains.  Don't believe me, put some baking soda in your hand, then pour on some vinegar and watch the fizz show.  No burned hand, just a bunch of fizzing.....  It does feel funny fizzing in your hand though.   ;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2012, 08:30 PM »

About using vinegar and baking soda for a drain cleaner.  That old formula is pretty much an old wives tale.  The only thing those two together do is make a bunch of fizz.  It don't create any kind of acid to eat away the crap found in drains.  Don't believe me, put some baking soda in your hand, then pour on some vinegar and watch the fizz show.  No burned hand, just a bunch of fizzing.....  It does feel funny fizzing in your hand though.   ;D

Well, I tried it the other day on my clogged bathroom sink drain, and it worked. Not sure what else to say about it, but the evidence points to it actually working. Perhaps for more severely clogged drains it doesn't work, but it worked when I needed it to. I spoke with some friends, and they were surprised that I didn't know about it before, and said that they had been doing it for years.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2012, 08:42 PM »
About using vinegar and baking soda for a drain cleaner.  That old formula is pretty much an old wives tale.  The only thing those two together do is make a bunch of fizz.  It don't create any kind of acid to eat away the crap found in drains.

You know vinegarw is 5% acidity, right?  (at least from the store, in the USA)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2012, 08:51 PM »
Baking soda is good for loosening soap buildup and many forms of grease and oil. Warm water and baking soda works especially well for cleaning hair brushes and combs. Alkalies generally have it in for soaps. And are far better than most "safe to use" acids at removing it.

The only risk in using it in a drain is if there's a huge soap scum or crud buildup on the walls of a pipe or sink trap. Sometimes baking soda will loosen it enough that it all comes off the pipe in one big clump and clogs the up works. Enough hot water and additional baking soda will loosen it eventually. But that can take a few days. And if there's a big wad of hair (freed from the soap scum) making up part of the blockage, all the baking soda in the world won't budge it.

I skip the vinegar and just use a half cup of baking soda and a quart or so of very hot water in my drains from time to time. Dump it in, let it sit for about ten minutes, and then flush it with clean water from the hot water tap for about a minute or two. It seems to help. But it's more a preventative maintenance thing than a real drain cleaner AFAIC.

YMMV. 8)