ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why did it never occur to me.. You can wash a keyboard in water.

<< < (3/23) > >>

tomos:
None of the keyboards I have boughten have had the "keyboard condom".  They came in a plastic bag.-techidave (November 23, 2012, 06:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
likewise - in the eu.

Keeping in mind that I've never seen these covers, the idea of keeping the keyboard constantly covered sort of reminds me of keeping furniture in plastic. It's got it's advantages but I dont know could I live with it...

Gwen7:
a couple of squirts of formula 409 or simple green cleaner and a gentle scrub with a soft nail or facial brush, followed by a wipe down with dry and then damp paper towels will give you the same result without going thru the heroics of dunking the entire keyboard. but dunking it does work as long as you take care to be sure it's completely dry before plugging it in. i learned about that when my niece dropped a full glass of cola on my keyboard at home and i figured what the heck? i soaked it for a few hours in my kitchen sink with tepid water, rinsed and drained it and let it dry for about a week. worked just fine. even the backlighting was still ok. :-)

Stoic Joker:
the idea of keeping the keyboard constantly covered sort of reminds me of keeping furniture in plastic. It's got it's advantages but I dont know could I live with it...-tomos (November 23, 2012, 07:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 That would bug the hell out of me as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few years back a clients server got hosed (literally) by the pest control guy. Seems he wasn't watching the nozzle direction and sprayed the box full of pesticide...which then corroded the motherboard badly enough to pop out some of the cards and render it dead.

I stripped it down completely (removing the batteries...), scrubbed it with a baking soda and water mix using a toothbrush, rinsed it off in a mop sink, and left it scattered across several car hoods in the parking lot to dry in the sun for a few hours.

After reassembly it ran perfectly for another 3 years.

40hz:
scattered across several car hoods
-Stoic Joker (November 23, 2012, 08:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Like it! The perfect drying rack! Good place to do the final curing of lacquer on a recently refinished guitar too. :up:

Just so long as it's not hot enough out that something melts. I've seen membrane-type keyboards malfunction after being left out in the sun a little too long.

barney:
Guess I'm retarded  :-\.  I've been using the dishwasher for a decade+.  I put the cord & plug in a plastic bag, seal it with a twist tie, the stuff the bag in one (1) of the silverware/flatware trays (That keeps the plug dry and protects the cord from the heating element.).  Stand the keyboard up on it's thinnest long side, add Cascade, and let 'er rip.  Only time I discard a keyboard is when I've worn the decals off several of the keys, 'cause a number of my friends cannot type  :P.  (Yeah, you can get replacement decal sets, but none I've tried have been very good/effective - the decal is supposed to stay on the key, not my fingertip(s) :huh:.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version