topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Off-the-wall ideas for Christmas presents?  (Read 9702 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Off-the-wall ideas for Christmas presents?
« on: November 22, 2012, 03:53 PM »
I dont know will these even make it for Christmas, and I think they're too hipster for me (and I never wear shades anyway) but
they did inspire me to start this thread - I mean what a great idea  :)

TIMBER sunglasses

Screenshot - 2012-11-22 , 22_49_33.png

any other off-the-wall ideas?
Tom

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Off-the-wall ideas for Christmas presents?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 04:55 PM »
any other off-the-wall ideas?

Buck the trend and make something as a gift. :) Used to work years ago. Might be worth recycling the idea. :D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 05:51 PM »
TIMBER sunglasses
Is that some kind of joak?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 06:01 PM »
TIMBER sunglasses
Is that some kind of joak?
-cranioscopical (November 22, 2012, 05:51 PM)

I think it's serious. If someone gave them to me, I'd think they were a real ash.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 06:41 PM »
I've bought a ZenMagnets mini package for my ex, if it arrives in time I'm going to do something cute with it. Also, I've bought their 'Zen Gift' set for myself, that's going to be a nice present.

And I've told my family not to give me any presents, since I kinda think it's a stupid thing to do(*) - stop giving superfluous gifts to people who have most of the stuff they need - you can't afford giving me the things I'd want to buy for myself (and I'd be dumbstruck and embarrased if you did), I don't want token gifts, and I'd rather have you buy something nice for yourself or some people who actually need it.

However, I'm still thinking about stuff to give to my brothers. (10, 15, 20, 21) - they don't need the gifts, but they don't necessarily subscribe to my views, either... and I do love the kiddos.

There's a funny thing in .dk called "Giv end ged" ("give a goat"), but that's a bit too philanthropic for me. I'd like to give something that I'm sure isn't gobbled up by a bureaucracy in a perhaps-helpful-wannabe-Christian organization or ends up as a penny in a million-short well.

OK, sorry if this got all too serious :)
- carpe noctem

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 10:25 PM »
During the power failure of Hurricane Sandy, I started a crochet project...slippers for my husband. He was complaining that his feet were cold while we were all playing board games.

They are of my own design and are a little sneaker-like, navy blue with white tongues and orange laces. They are made from the leftover yarn from a project my stepmother was working on a long time ago and never finished. I acquired the less than finished afghan, along with the remaining yarn, when my father was cleaning the junk out of his house.

I plan on giving him both, as the afghan is big enough to keep him warm while watching TV, except for his feet, which will be covered in the matching slippers.

As far as odd gifts, I gave my daughter an enormous 5 lb jar of peanut butter last year. This was after they had announced a peanut shortage and some brands began increasing their prices. I immediately went and bought it for her, knowing how much she loves peanut butter and how she was worried that one of her staple foods might become unaffordable. Not knowing that I had got one for her, my husband got her one, too, so she ended up with 10 lbs of peanut butter! She loved it...one of the advantages of raising an incredibly practical daughter with a love of food. It also brought up memories of the giant gallon jar of pickle slices I bought for her one Giftmas, when she was about 11. You should have seen the look on her face when she unwrapped that one. She had an expression as if she had just unwrapped a live pony.  ;D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 10:45 AM »
oups, I forgot about this thread :)

And I've told my family not to give me any presents, since I kinda think it's a stupid thing to do(*) - stop giving superfluous gifts to people who have most of the stuff they need - you can't afford giving me the things I'd want to buy for myself (and I'd be dumbstruck and embarrased if you did), I don't want token gifts, and I'd rather have you buy something nice for yourself or some people who actually need it.

that reminds me of getting a spray canister for vinegar one year - looked expensive too, but I was like WTF?!
I actually like cooking but have no idea -nor do I really want to know- what to use it for. Actually ended up finding a practical use for it - vinegar keeps martens (Steinmarder) from biting cables in the car engine. Eventually got a protective cover for the ones the martens favoured - the vinegar sprayer is probably still in the boot.

I'm getting very practical about presents - I mean I make requests. Generally for consumable things I either wouldnt normally buy (or not at all). There's a toothpaste I really like that's 4 euros - damned if I'm going to buy that for everyday, but if I get it as a present I'm happy as larry. Or something like pumpkin-seed oil.

During the power failure of Hurricane Sandy, I started a crochet project...slippers for my husband. He was complaining that his feet were cold while we were all playing board games.

They are of my own design and are a little sneaker-like, navy blue with white tongues and orange laces.

sound nice and colourful - 'groovy' came to mind ;-)

I accidentally came across this 2006 post in your (app's) blog today, makes for a nice read:
The perfect gift
Tom

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 01:49 PM »
Having a toddler makes giving gifts to family so easy.

We just buy 9"x12" canvas board in bulk from an art supply warehouse and a bunch of tube of non-toxic, washable finger paint.  Then we sit him in his booster seat with old clothes on, newspaper covering the table, and a plastic drop cloth under him.

My wife handles squirting the colors he asks for on the board and wiping his hands as necessary. I wisk away finished paintings to our drying area and drop new boards in front of him as needed.

We can easily produce 15-20 beautiful paintings in an afternoon.

C

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 01:54 PM »
We can easily produce 15-20 beautiful paintings in an afternoon.

which you could then use as presents if you wanted  :-*
until he/she gets older and refuses to part with any of them (maybe not all kids are like that though...)
Tom

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 02:40 PM »
I accidentally came across this 2006 post in your (app's) blog today, makes for a nice read:
[url=http://cranialsoup.blogspot.de/2006/12/perfect-gift.html]The perfect gift

I have a confession to make...

The giver of that gift wasn't mentioned by name in that post because I didn't think that most people that would read it would really care, because they don't know him.

But you all know him. It was mouser.  :-*

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 03:48 PM »
^ I'm not suprised :D :D

he'll get all embarrassed now ;D
Tom

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 08:14 PM »
How about a hand sharpened pencil?  ;D

http://www.artisanal...encilsharpening.com/

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 02:41 AM »
How about a hand sharpened pencil?  ;D

http://www.artisanal...encilsharpening.com/

Maybe I need to rethink this whole how to earn a living thing. Between the guy that charges $2 for a hug and the guy charging $20 for a hand sharpened pencil, I am beginning to think I have been going about it all wrong.  ;D

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 03:41 AM »
Generally for consumable things I either wouldnt normally buy (or not at all). There's a toothpaste I really like that's 4 euros - damned if I'm going to buy that for everyday, but if I get it as a present I'm happy as larry. Or something like pumpkin-seed oil.

I agree with this 100%.  But it's actually been hard to convince people that things like that make good gifts.  It seems that many people have an idea that if something doesn't have batteries or plug into an outlet, it can't be a good gift.