ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Keyboard shortcut of the day

<< < (9/12) > >>

ewemoa:
Windows+D or Windows+M turns all the open windows into icons in the taskbar.
-Giampy (December 08, 2012, 06:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Convenient!

Of the two, I prefer Windows+D (Desktop?) because if entered again the windows are restored to their previous states.  In contrast, Windows+M seems to be one-way.

ewemoa:
In some applications, Shift+Del removes the selected entry from a combo box -- nice for cleaning things up where it works.

Speaking of Shift, have found the Shift+Arrow sequences for extending / shrinking the current selection helpful when the initial attempt at selecting didn't quite satisfy.

Edvard:
Had missed these changes...
-ewemoa (December 08, 2012, 06:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XorgCtrlAltBackspace

FTR, most of these work on Linux (well, at least Debian Wheezy + Xfce) too, with some notable exceptions:

* Shift-F10 doesn't toggle the context menu, but it does raise it.
* Ctrl-Shift-Esc doesn't do anything.
* Win-Break ditto.
* Win+D and Win+M do nothing.
Most Linux Desktop Environments have ways to easily remap/assign key combos so it's easy enough to duplicate functionality, like calling htop or the Xfce Task Manager from Ctrl-Shift-Esc.

A good shortcut for Linux is Ctrl-Alt-Fn where n=1-6.
-Switches to one of six terminal interfaces.
Other than that, most Desktop Environments have ways to easily remap/assign key combos.

Never had to use the magic sysrq key and I hope I never will. :P

ewemoa:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XorgCtrlAltBackspace
-Edvard (December 10, 2012, 12:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

So it looks like there's a DontZap xorg.conf option...thanks  :up:

A good shortcut for Linux is Ctrl-Alt-Fn where n=1-6.
-Switches to one of six terminal interfaces.

--- End quote ---

Definitely found these helpful (actually depending on one's setup, I believe n can have a different value :) ).

I've found Shift+PageUp / Shift+PageDown (for the scrollback buffer) helpful sometimes -- though often enough, the lines I'm interested in are gone for good...some quick searching suggests that there are tweaks available so may be I'll try them some time.

Never had to use the magic sysrq key and I hope I never will. :P

--- End quote ---

I hope so too -- but if you do get to a point of needing it, you might find the sufficient pausing between letters to be of some help.

Edvard:
Just discovered this last week:
Open Notepad, and hit F5.
It pops the time and date.  

No idea how useful that is, but somebody coded it that way for a reason, so there ya go...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version