ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Are you going to wait for Windows 9?

<< < (22/23) > >>

Shades:
Yep, Server 2008 is not that great. Its decent enough, but the feature set from 2012 makes one want to play with the OS in more ways than I expected.

Having said that, Windows 8 appears to have all the irritations of 2012, without the fun stuff from 2012. I'm still not convinced about that OS (or the direction MS takes with their consumer OS's lately).

The day GPSoft brings out Directory Opus (9 or 10) for Linux, I'll make the jump. 

Darwin:
I have Windows 8 64-bit running on a five year old Core 2 Duo notebook with 4GB RAM and it is noticeably quicker than Windows 7 on the same hardware. Love it. However, it's not something I would run out and buy to upgrade your Windows 7 machine.

4wd:
I've got Win8Pro x86 running on my Acer netbook, Atom N270, 1.5GB RAM, 60GB 4200RPM HDD.

Booting from cold: abysmally slow - a lot slower than XP
Booting from hibernate: fast, about 15-20 seconds not counting BIOS startup

Hybrid sleep is disabled, it just flattens the battery.  Boots to Desktop, none of that 'tile' rubbish.

And for some reason the WiFi glitches after a while, needing it to be turned off then back on - something that never happened under XP.

For what I use it for on the netbook, it's fine - but XP would do just as well, take up a lot less space, and run better because I wouldn't need a pagefile, (which I needed to turn on for Win8 to stop it complaining about lack of RAM).

I'll probably reinstall 'nlitened' XP on the netbook since its requirements are a lot less, and maybe give Win8 a go on my Desktop after 8.1 comes out.

zridling:
And to think, all this fuss and frustration is why I moved to Linux seven years ago. It's fun to read it, but I don't have to live it.

;)

40hz:
And to think, all this fuss and frustration is why I moved to Linux seven years ago. It's fun to read it, but I don't have to live it.

;)
-zridling (July 29, 2013, 07:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

This.

Amen. 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version