ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Are you going to wait for Windows 9?

<< < (20/23) > >>

tomos:
F8 no longer does anything in Windows 8 so you can't boot to the advanced startup options. Apparently UEFI allows you to force advanced options but on older BIOS machines that isn't available. So to get to the advanced startup settings you have to boot into windows, to get into safe mode you have to boot windows!!!! Brilliant
-Carol Haynes (January 24, 2013, 02:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I read today that Shift+F8 should work:
Turn on your Windows 8 PC and immediately press and hold Shift + F8 keys till use see Advanced Boot Options screen from where you can boot into the Safe Mode. Do note that you need to press and hold the hotkey while the POST is in progress.
--- End quote ---
http://www.intowindows.com/shortcut-key-to-boot-into-the-hidden-safe-mode-in-windows-8/

I tried it on my laptop - it didnt work, but this may be becuse of how Lenovo have it set up (it has a button that will start to a bunch of options including the boot menu).

x16wda:
My HP doc says you should press F11 repeatedly, about once a second, to get to the Win 8 troubleshooting menu.  ESC or F10 once a second should get you into the BIOS.  FWIW.

dr_andus:
The new UI side of Win8 is aimed at tablets and as such should, I think, be compared with whatever it is they have on iPads and the relevant Androids. That's a world I know nothing about so I cant comment.
-tomos (November 21, 2012, 05:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, so how about comparing it to Win7 then? Are the "minor" annoyances you mention outweighed by some major benefit (for Win7 desktop users - or even XP users who may want to choose between Win7 and Win8)?
-dr_andus (November 21, 2012, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just saw this promotional MS graphic doing the rounds, about the benefits of switching from XP to Win8 for businesses. I still can't see any compelling reasons why someone without a touch screen should switch from XP to Win8, rather than Win7. The main argument here seems to be "you'll get access to our store where we can sell you more stuff." That's hardly going to convince a lot of businesses...
Spoiler

40hz:
Microsoft is still in the throes of denial that they have a pooch on their hands with the way they've implemented things. Which is a shame, because the core OS lurking beneath the cruft appears to be quite solid. And now that Ballmer has doubled down on their decisions with the whole "reorganization" (i.e. "We can be just like Apple, just see if we can't!!!") Microsoft is in the process of doing through, don't expect any relief until Ballmer gets booted out announces his retirement.

Unfortunately, Microsoft is a very rich company that can hang tough to protect it's CEO's ego and legacy longer than most. So don't expect the B-man to leave anytime soon...

I'd suggest people start getting familiar with Linux or BSD just so you have a fallback. You may need it sooner than you think with the way Microsoft insists on going, and the unilateral approach they're taking to get us to go there. Because right now it's all about Microsoft and nothing about you.

tomos:
^I wonder how long win7 support is - let's see ... extended support till 2020. Gives me time to think about alternatives and prepare.

The new UI side of Win8 is aimed at tablets and as such should, I think, be compared with whatever it is they have on iPads and the relevant Androids. That's a world I know nothing about so I cant comment.
-tomos (November 21, 2012, 05:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, so how about comparing it to Win7 then? Are the "minor" annoyances you mention outweighed by some major benefit (for Win7 desktop users - or even XP users who may want to choose between Win7 and Win8)?
--- End quote ---

FWIW I'll answer this again - the "minor" annoyances were big enough in the end for me to stop using Win 8 for work with images. I usually tweak a windows install and add a share of software, but Windows 8 requires so much tweaking to make it usable in a desktop scenario (again, with images) that I just could not be bothered.

(My last answer was:)
SpoilerOkay, so how about comparing it to Win7 then? Are the "minor" annoyances you mention outweighed by some major benefit (for Win7 desktop users - or even XP users who may want to choose between Win7 and Win8)?
--- End quote ---

I cant say yet - I've only been messing around with it for a week - not using it that much.
I dont use 'the tiles' at all (I'm mostly not even online with the thing so most of those apps are useless to me).

Advantages for me:
I can easily change languages for the complete system.
AV works out of the box - there's been no nagging (some people might consider this a weakness e.g. for basic users)
Task Manager is more than enough for me - in win7 I use process explorer.

(Percieved or real) Disadvantages can mostly be overcome (see my Win8 Tips thread).

Otherwise I'd say it's very similar to Win 7. There's still going to be a learning curve though.
To be honest, if I had to get a new desktop right now, I'd go for windows 7.
But in a couple of months my answer would probably be different.
-tomos (November 21, 2012, 02:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version