ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Are you going to wait for Windows 9?

<< < (4/23) > >>

tomos:
Okay, so how about comparing it to Win7 then? Are the "minor" annoyances you mention outweighed by some major benefit (for Win7 desktop users - or even XP users who may want to choose between Win7 and Win8)?
-dr_andus (November 21, 2012, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

I cant say yet - I've only been messing around with it for a week - not using it that much.
I dont use 'the tiles' at all (I'm mostly not even online with the thing so most of those apps are useless to me).

Advantages for me:
I can easily change languages for the complete system.
AV works out of the box - there's been no nagging (some people might consider this a weakness e.g. for basic users)
Task Manager is more than enough for me - in win7 I use process explorer.

(Percieved or real) Disadvantages can mostly be overcome (see my Win8 Tips thread).

Otherwise I'd say it's very similar to Win 7. There's still going to be a learning curve though.
To be honest, if I had to get a new desktop right now, I'd go for windows 7.
But in a couple of months my answer would probably be different.

40hz:
And regarding the Windows 8 is poised at the brink of enslaving us in a gilded cage which will turn us all into palpitating porridge based eye puppets crap ... Can we at least try to keep in mind that this is totally conjecture. Nothing is or has been proven or verified as fact. No internal secret memos have been exposed substantiating any of these claims ... It's total assumption pure and simple.
-Stoic Joker (November 21, 2012, 01:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Stripped of the hyperbole on both sides, what it comes down to is pretty simple. And it doesn't take rocket science to analyze or see it.

Microsoft has struggled for two decades playing second fiddle to Apple's marketing push and being criticized for being late out the gate and not innovative enough. 90% of that is because they're providing a very "open" operating system. Because they don't control the environment they're fighting a bit of a losing battle. And they know it.

People complain about Windows' speed and stability deteriorating over time. But if you ever run a machine that's 'vanilla' Microsoft from front to back (i.e. Windows/Office/IE/Live/certified hardware) and nothing but Microsoft supplied software, you never run into that. Those machines work like champs.

Add one third party app or utility and things start to happen.

With a closed eco-system, where not just anybody can do whatever they want, you see stability go way up and support calls go way down.

That is what Microsoft is moving towards. Apps only available and installable under the watchful eye of an app store. Certified hardware (under the threat of Microsoft manufacturing its own) that fully complies with Microsoft guidelines.

It will be a whole new world. Better in many respects.

But with this comes the natural (and predictable) tendency to exert control beyond what's needed purely for quality and stability. And that is where the concern comes in. Because with amore formalized and controlled system, development costs go up - and innovation gets slowed. Which basically means small maverick engineering businesses (which usually introduce the real breakthroughs) are effectively frozen out of the game.

That's where the concern comes from. Not so much fear that Ballmer has allied himself with the Grays from Area 51 - although I wouldn't rule it out. ;D

Josh:
From one of the articles from above:
"That lack of multiple window support forced Nielsen to dub it "one of the worst aspects of Windows 8 for power users."

Is that true even in desktop mode? Can someone clarify/confirm that That would be enough to keep me from using Win 8.
-TaoPhoenix (November 21, 2012, 11:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

The fact that this question even exist is a testament to the steaming pile of FUD that's flying around the internet.

Not only no, but hell no that isn't even vaguely true. The Windows 8 desktop is a desktop just like every other desktop all the way back to Win95.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The start menu is "missing" in Windows 8 (Oh FFS) ... The Start Menu has been "Missing" since Win XP launched in 01. The Start Panel is what's actually "missing" in Windows 8. And I for one am actually tickled pink that the Start Menu has finally been taken out and shot in the head. Every time I get stuck in front of a machine that's been retro'd back to the start menu I feel like I've been instantly transported back to the 1870s, and am being forced to dig for potatoes with my teeth after my arms have been cut off!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And regarding the Windows 8 is poised at the brink of enslaving us in a gilded cage which will turn us all into palpitating porridge based eye puppets crap ... Can we at least try to keep in mind that this is totally conjecture. Nothing is or has been proven or verified as fact. No internal secret memos have been exposed substantiating any of these claims ... It's total assumption pure and simple.

Because it just might actually be a really handy step forward in user interaction if people could refrain from fashionably shitting all over it long enough to learn how to use the god damn thing.
-Stoic Joker (November 21, 2012, 01:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Big Frapping +1!

allen:
Here's a nice little rebuttal to Nielsen's thoughts.

superboyac:
A comment that resonates with me from somewhere on the web:
Once I gave Metro a chance on my desktop computer, it was pretty good. But I still installed a start screen remover and program to get my start menu back. Windows 8 has some really good features for power users... I'm sure everyone knows by now.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version