topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Fanatical Mystery Bundle Leftovers  (Read 3110 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Fanatical Mystery Bundle Leftovers
« on: September 09, 2022, 03:04 PM »
I've recently become a fan of Fanatical's frequent Build Your Own Bundles which often start at $1 per game but go down in price from there the more you add to your bundle. Most of the games in the bundles are the kind of games that I probably wouldn't look at twice at their normal price, but for $1 or less I've found a few gems I've enjoyed playing.

Anyway, I also keep seeing their Mystery Bundles which are, as the name suggests, mystery "grab bags" where you don't know what you're getting until you've already paid for them. They're also priced starting at $1 but cheaper per game the more you add to the bundle. I'm generally pretty risk-averse and don't like the idea of gambling, so I wasn't too keen on it, but I guess I fell for it anyway. I decided to make a purchase of 10 games for $7 to see the general quality of games I could be getting from their Mystery Bundles.

The results:
  • 4 games that look somewhat interesting to me
    • 1 of which was in Early Access and then "released" in an incomplete state when the developer had a family crisis and couldn't continue working on the game.
  • 6 games I have no interest in
    • 1 of which I already own (probably from a Humble Bundle) which I've never played (because I'm not really interested)

That's 4 games I'm keeping for myself, and 6 games I have keys for that I will never use. 4 out of 10 isn't too bad, I suppose, but really there was only one game that I immediately thought, "Ooh! That looks interesting. I'll keep that!" All the others were more like, "I guess that might be worth trying..." In short: I won't be buying a Mystery Bundle again.

So if any long-time member of the forum would like any of these games, I'm willing to DM the Steam key to you.

And if anyone is curious about the ones I kept:

« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 09:27 PM by Deozaan »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Fanatical Summer Mystery Bundle Leftovers
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 04:36 AM »
If no-one has requested it, can I request Allen Breed 3, please?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Fanatical Summer Mystery Bundle Leftovers
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 09:01 AM »
If no-one has requested it, can I request Allen Breed 3, please?

PM incoming.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Fanatical Mystery Bundle Leftovers
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 08:46 PM »
Really there was only one game that I immediately thought, "Ooh! That looks interesting. I'll keep that!" All the others were more like, "I guess that might be worth trying..." In short: I won't be buying a Mystery Bundle again.

Well, I fell for it again and bought another Mystery Bundle from Fanatical. :-[ But in my defense, I was persuaded to buy it mostly because purchasing it would enter me into a chance to win a Steam Deck OLED. :D

This time I got 20 games (+1 bonus game) and it seems the ratio is about the same as last time.

10% I immediately thought "That looks fun. I'll keep that."
30% I thought "I guess it might be worth trying," or "Someone else in my household my enjoy having this in our shared library."
60% I thought "Not particularly interested."

Here's a list of the games I'm willing to part with to interested long-time members of the forum:

Here's what I kept:

And the bonus game was originally another copy of Encodya but I emailed them complaining about receiving two copies of the same game in the same order and they replaced it with I Am Fish.

By the way, the games in the first post of this thread are still available. Also, I'm realizing now that I still haven't played any of the games I kept from the last one. . . I need to stop buying mystery games! 😅
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 01:35 AM by Deozaan »