ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Mysteries

(1/5) > >>

joiwind:
I thought of starting a thread about the many mysteries that seem unsolvable (I can already hear the groans) - it could be interesting and maybe even fun ? (Could be a waste of time and forum space too...)

Here are two well known ones :

* Candidate A wins an election with 51% while candidate B gets 49% - it looks as though candidate A won by 2% (51 - 49) but then just take that 1% from candidate A's 51% and give it to candidate B : and they both have 50%

* When you look at yourself in a mirror the objects you see reflected are inverted in the horizontal plane - why not in the vertical plane ?

Renegade:
I thought of starting a thread about the many mysteries that seem unsolvable (I can already hear the groans) - it could be interesting and maybe even fun ? (Could be a waste of time and forum space too...)
-joiwind (November 20, 2012, 05:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

For a moment, I thought you were going to spin off from the secret society thread with freaky mysteries like pyramids and UFOs or something. :D

Here are two well known ones :
--- End quote ---

I've not seen those as "mysteries" before.

* Candidate A wins an election with 51% while candidate B gets 49% - it looks as though candidate A won by 2% (51 - 49) but then just take that 1% from candidate A's 51% and give it to candidate B : and they both have 50%-joiwind (November 20, 2012, 05:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Use absolute values. ;) +1 & -1 is still 2.

* When you look at yourself in a mirror the objects you see reflected are inverted in the horizontal plane - why not in the vertical plane ?-joiwind (November 20, 2012, 05:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just lay down sideways~! :D

Here are some fun ones:

Zeno's Paradoxes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeno's_paradoxes

Suppose Homer wants to catch a stationary bus. Before he can get there, he must get halfway there. Before he can get halfway there, he must get a quarter of the way there. Before traveling a quarter, he must travel one-eighth; before an eighth, one-sixteenth; and so on.

I've explained them elsewhere. But they are fun!

4wd:

* Candidate A wins an election with 51% while candidate B gets 49% - it looks as though candidate A won by 2% (51 - 49) but then just take that 1% from candidate A's 51% and give it to candidate B : and they both have 50%-joiwind (November 20, 2012, 05:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

How is that a mystery?

Win = more than the other guy
Draw = equal second place
Lose = less than the winner

Who cares what the numbers are  ;)

Renegade:

--- End quote ---

How is that a mystery?

Win = more than the other guy
Draw = equal second place
Lose = less than the winner

Who cares what the numbers are  ;)
-4wd (November 20, 2012, 06:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think the "mystery" there is different than what you're thinking, and that it relies on how muddled most people's thoughts are. e.g.

1) The difference is "2"
2) Transfer 1
3) Now the difference is 0
4) Oh, wow. Magic! :P

joiwind:
--- End quote ---

For a moment, I thought you were going to spin off from the secret society thread with freaky mysteries like pyramids and UFOs or something. :D

-Renegade (November 20, 2012, 06:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Erm ... well that was my hidden intention (how did you guess ?).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version