ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anything wrong with formatting a USB stick in NTFS?

<< < (7/7)

f0dder:
Does anybody have some hard numbers on how much extra write NTFS adds, and how much it actually matters - or is this the usual wishy-washy uninformed "oh, it has a journal, so it must be bad!" FUD? :)

The NTFS journalling is only done on filesystem metadata, not file data itself - if you're creating and deleting a zillion small files (which is where journal overhead might matter), you're already stressing the drive. And on the other hand, NTFS has optimizations like storing the content of very small files directly in the filesystem structures, where FAT needs to allocate separate blocks...

Flash drives tend to flake out far earlier than you hit the NAND cell max erase cycles anyway, so it's not something I'd personally worry about :-)

BearPup7:
 :( Pardon my screwup! The correct answer is format the drive in exFAT, then you can use 8 x 32Gb flash drives for ReadyBoost (the max allowed), or have the drive ready for very large files (the limit is 256Tb in size)! For drives 7Mb to 256Mb cluster size is 4K, for drives 256Mb to 32Gb its 32Kb and for drives 32 Gb to 256Tb its 128Kb.

superboyac:
:( Pardon my screwup! The correct answer is format the drive in exFAT, then you can use 8 x 32Gb flash drives for ReadyBoost (the max allowed), or have the drive ready for very large files (the limit is 256Tb in size)! For drives 7Mb to 256Mb cluster size is 4K, for drives 256Mb to 32Gb its 32Kb and for drives 32 Gb to 256Tb its 128Kb.
-BearPup7 (December 03, 2012, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks!

SKA:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=32917.msg307456#msg307456

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version