ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Thoughts on this sort of UI styling?

<< < (4/6) > >>

Jibz:
Ok, if you will forgive my very basic skills with Gimp, here is a quick edit of your dialog to see what it would feel like:

The changes I made are

* Added a hint of color to the icons to make the dialog seem less bland
* Removed the texturing on the background to make it feel more clean
* Removed some vertical space -- the original was quite tall
* Gathered the list items in one text box together with the text at the top, since they are not actual button choices

wraith808:
^ I *do* like that version better...  Although I liked the texturing, and would add that back.

40hz:
I very much like the look of either. The first is certainly more "modern" looking, but the flat version works equally well. (I personally much prefer to see flat screen elements. No good reason for it really. I just prefer them.)

I would suggest, however, that since each of the choices is mutually exclusive, radio buttons be used? Thats what they were designed for. They restrict the selection to a single choice and make it explicitly clear which selection is either the default or is currently active,

The icons to the right of the text don't always make it obvious that they are buttons - mostly because so many other apps put so much useless 'bling' up on the screen that you're never completely sure what's clickable and what's not.

Not to say that you'd need to adopt the ugly and dated looking "black dot in a circle" standard radio button, (Although there's a lot to be said for it since it is a standard interface element most people are familiar with by now.) You could have the background color behind the selection change when you hover over it or something similar to provide a visual clue it was an active element. (Note: if you went this route, the first mock-up would look better since you already have borders around the text. So it should be relatively easy to use a hover effect with that design.)

Just my :two:
 :)

Jibz:
I would suggest, however, that since each of the choices is mutually exclusive, radio buttons be used? Thats what they were designed for. They restrict the selection to a single choice and make it explicitly clear which selection is either the default or is currently active,
-40hz (November 20, 2012, 08:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

It sounds like you did the same thing I did at first -- assume it was four buttons giving you a choice, like you see in some of the Vista+ dialogs. But I think it is actually just a static list of things that will be tested when you click the OK button, which was why I put them together in one textbox instead.

I could be wrong of course, maybe they are buttons?

40hz:
^Precisely!  ;D

I wasn't sure either. (Which might indicate there's a design problem.)

But if it is a list of tests about to be run, something along the lines of the following might be clearer?

This will test each of the following four settings below to ensure correct operation:

..test
..test
..test
..test

Do you wish to run these tests now?"

<Yes - run these tests now. |  No. Just go back to previous screen>

--- End quote ---

8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page