topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Patent on Turning Pages  (Read 5714 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Patent on Turning Pages
« on: November 17, 2012, 05:57 PM »
Yes. You read that right. Turning pages has now been patented! Make certain to pay your royalties to Apple. :P

VIA:
http://www.techdirt....t-page-turning.shtml

ARTICLE:
http://bits.blogs.ny...-owns-the-page-turn/

If you want to know just how broken the patent system is, just look at patent D670,713, filed by Apple and approved this week by the United States Patent Office.

This design patent, titled, “Display screen or portion thereof with animated graphical user interface,” gives Apple the exclusive rights to the page turn in an e-reader application.

Yes, that’s right. Apple now owns the page turn. You know, as when you turn a page with your hand. An “interface” that has been around for hundreds of years in physical form. I swear I’ve seen similar animation in Disney or Warner Brothers cartoons.

(This is where readers are probably checking the URL of this article to make sure it’s The New York Times and not The Onion.)

:o

Dunno. That just leaves me completely speechless...  :huh:

It really is the kind of thing you'd see at The Onion. He nails it there.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Patent on Turning Pages
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 06:54 PM »
Face Plam. (soon there will be patent on facepalm).

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 07:29 PM »
I'm wondering why a bunch of Flash Ads don't have prior art. There's a couple out there that were really aggressively page-turney.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 07:35 PM »
Supposedly, it's "first to file" and prior art doesn't matter. Not too sure on the details there as it's really just all complete insanity, and it's not really worth my time to figure out just *how* insane it all is.  :-\

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 08:39 PM »
  They may have put a patent on it, but it's not the first time it's been used.  I've owned several software programs over the years that has the "page turning" effect, one of them a HP photo-editing program.  But with the patent law changes, it's whoever patents it first is the winner, even if it's been used elsewhere.  Things like this shouldn't have patents and just goes to show how broken the patent system is.
  Not to mention that it cost around $50K U.S. to patent something, which is why I haven't patented an idea that I've had for years.  What is it you ask?
Spoiler
I'm Not Telling!!!

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 09:22 PM »
Not Telling An Idea . . . that's brilliant! I just filed the patent, you lose cheapskate.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 09:52 PM »
Not Telling An Idea . . . that's brilliant! I just filed the patent, you lose cheapskate.

Bwahahahahah~!

I suppose that means no more taking the 5th, eh? ;D :P

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 08:22 AM »
*Chuckles out loud*.

On a more serious note, for the people in the US: it's about time to grab your torches, pitchforks and semi-automatics and overthrow your government the corporations.
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 09:36 AM »
On a more serious note, for the people in the US: it's about time to grab your torches, pitchforks and semi-automatics and overthrow your government the corporations.

Hmm... IIRC it's now illegal, under US law, for us to post a statement like that online... :tellme:

Aren't you glad you live in Denmark? ;D

P.S. A raptor-class UCAV has since been dispatched to your address. Thanks for providing a map with your profile! 8) :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:43 AM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 05:53 PM »

Hmm... IIRC it's now illegal, under US law, for us to post a statement like that online... :tellme:

For what reason? Is it torches, pitchforks, or semi-automatics that have been patented? :P ;D

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 09:03 PM »

Aren't you glad you live in Denmark? ;D

P.S. A raptor-class UCAV has since been dispatched to your address. Thanks for providing a map with your profile! 8) :Thmbsup:

But...but....but, we have freedom in the U.S.!!!  Don't ya know we're #1?  We're #1 in freedom of speech, #1 in crooked politicians, #1 in crooked cops, #1 in greedy corporations, etc etc etc.
  Of course I'm probably labeled as a dissenter by the FBI now and have a dossier on file....

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 01:42 AM »
But...but....but, we have freedom in the U.S.!!!  Don't ya know we're #1?  We're #1 in freedom of speech, #1 in crooked politicians, #1 in crooked cops, #1 in greedy corporations, etc etc etc.  Of course I'm probably labeled as a dissenter by the FBI now and have a dossier on file....

I'm sure I'm on the list. Name me one "freedom" that I've gained from all the wars, banksters, politicians, etc., in my lifetime. However, I have seen all but the 2nd Amendment (guns) be whittled down to the TSA-like "We have the right to feel your privates in public at the airport."
Oh wait, I have the "freedom" to wear pink for a month twice a year when Susan Komen's corrupt organization comes around wanting to stuff 90% of their donations into their own pockets before a dime ever goes to "research." Oy.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 07:10 PM »
But...but....but, we have freedom in the U.S.!!!  Don't ya know we're #1?  We're #1 in freedom of speech, #1 in crooked politicians, #1 in crooked cops, #1 in greedy corporations, etc etc etc.  Of course I'm probably labeled as a dissenter by the FBI now and have a dossier on file....

I'm sure I'm on the list. Name me one "freedom" that I've gained from all the wars, banksters, politicians, etc., in my lifetime. However, I have seen all but the 2nd Amendment (guns) be whittled down to the TSA-like "We have the right to feel your privates in public at the airport."
Oh wait, I have the "freedom" to wear pink for a month twice a year when Susan Komen's corrupt organization comes around wanting to stuff 90% of their donations into their own pockets before a dime ever goes to "research." Oy.

Just a little off topic: That's why I always go to http://www.bbb.org/us/charity/ and check them out BEFORE I make a donation....