topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: In a change of fortunes, MS implores developers not to make Webkit the new IE6  (Read 6580 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Microsoft begs Web devs not to make WebKit the new IE6

Internet Explorer 10 is a fast browser with good standards compliance, and the version of Internet Explorer 10 included with Windows Phone 8 is no exception, as it's almost identical to its desktop sibling. But Internet Explorer 10 has a problem: Web developers don't expect to see it on the mobile Web. The mobile Web is dominated by WebKit-based browsers, and mobile sites tend to be developed exclusively for, and tested exclusively on, WebKit browsers. A similar problem exists for tablets.

Often the development is even narrower; although both Android and iOS sport WebKit-based browsers, iOS is the one that dominates mobile browser usage, and dominates testing as a result.

This situation is all rather familiar; WebKit, especially on iOS, is occupying a similar position to that once held by Internet Explorer 6 on the desktop, where Web content was "best viewed in Internet Explorer 6" and was prone to breaking in Netscape or Firefox.

Continued at link (via Ars Technica).

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Why do I have a headache all of a sudden?  :'(
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Why ask when you can just do what Apple does and not allow any challengers to the throne?

Why wait for Windows 9? Just do it today. It's my way or the highway, right?  Isn't this is the new world the consumer supposedly is demanding? You know:  freedom from choice?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Isn't this is the new world the consumer supposedly is demanding? You know:  freedom from choice?

FTFY

I mean, look at the gaming market.  People rip on PC gamers because of the hoops they have to go through to get a system that works.  It doesn't matter that it looks better, or that you can mod, or that you have a machine that can do a lot more.  The convenience and instant on is lost, and you have to spend more time with it (sometimes, but that's lost in the shuffle).  And since developers make games to look good on the best hardware, your xbox will be good for games long after your PC is relegated to boring stuff and older games.

With tablets coming of age, I predict that the same arguments will occur.  After all, there isn't a tablet that has as many problems as the typical PC, and the limitations actually help to limit that damage.

I'm not saying it's right- just that we aren't the typical consumers.  We aren't the sheep at whom they are aiming these descriptions.  And there are more sheep than people like us.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm not saying it's right- just that we aren't the typical consumers.  We aren't the sheep at whom they are aiming these descriptions.  And there are more sheep than people like us.

Don't know about the sheep part. (Sheep come in different breeds - each blindly convinced of its superiority to all other breeds. ;) ) But our priorities and goals are definitely different. As is the degree to which we're willing to suffer fools gladly.
 ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sheep come in different breeds - each blindly convinced of its superiority to all other breeds.

Point taken :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sheep come in different breeds - each blindly convinced of its superiority to all other breeds.

Point taken :)

As was yours btw.  :)

And you're absolutely right - you do get what you ask for more often than not. And in the absence of us forming our own opinions, there's a pestiferous host of highly paid people who will be more than happy to provide us with as many "prefab opinions" and foregone conclusions as needed.

Baaaaa!!! :Thmbsup: ;D

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
<satire> Aw  :P!  C'mon you wimps   :-* :P.  Why should you form your own opinion when there are so many expert opinions available to us all.? </satire>
Actually, I agree with MS' plea/argument, although not for MS' reasons.  As, apparently, do you all (y'all if you're southern ... read southren).  But our meager opinions are unlikely to sway the course of history.  (Although, I'm not so certain about the success(es) of those prefab opinions, y'know?)

This is a trend which, like most trends, is likely to burn itself out ... the dilemma, if I may call it that, is, "When will this be over?"

But, then, what do I know?  How dast I oppose the current currents?  Well, I dast.  So should we all.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
<satire> Aw  :P!  C'mon you wimps   :-* :P.  Why should you form your own opinion when there are so many expert opinions available to us all.? </satire>
Actually, I agree with MS' plea/argument, although not for MS' reasons.  As, apparently, do you all (y'all if you're southern ... read southren).  But our meager opinions are unlikely to sway the course of history.  (Although, I'm not so certain about the success(es) of those prefab opinions, y'know?)

This is a trend which, like most trends, is likely to burn itself out ... the dilemma, if I may call it that, is, "When will this be over?"

But, then, what do I know?  How dast I oppose the current currents?  Well, I dast.  So should we all.

Wouldn't it just be nice if Microsoft would just embrace Webkit and then extend it? :P

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wouldn't it just be nice if Microsoft would just embrace Webkit and then extend it? :P

Now, that is the impossible dream, methinks  :-\.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Actually, I think that was sarcasm- in response to their approach prior to this with Java.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Actually, I think that was sarcasm- in response to their approach prior to this with Java.
Kinda a shame that went down how it did... Microsofts JVM and base library was fast compared to the crap from Sun. On the plus side, we ended up with .NET and C# :)
- carpe noctem

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member

Exactly.

Embrace. Extend. Extinguish.

Same goes for the web standards and how IE was used to destroy the web for so long.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Hey, Renegade ain't the only sarcastic voice in the house  :P :P.