ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gadget WEEKENDS

<< < (91/121) > >>

cranioscopical:
I didn't find the commands to conference the Echo Dot very useful, and one of the reasons it didn't come off well was the indicators that someone is actually calling and if the call is in progress or not very intuitive.
-wraith808 (December 07, 2017, 07:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
During an 'intercom' call I find myself resorting to the old 'over' convention  ;D 

Even so, were I making a call in a >2-person household, I would want the ability to cut out people for whom the call was not intended. Google Home Mini doesn't offer that.

mouser:
Just put an amazon echo by my bedside -- fun gadget for listening to music while trying to fall asleep, etc.  Especially useful since I can summon music without having to open my eyes or turn out the lights.

wraith808:

During an 'intercom' call I find myself resorting to the old 'over' convention  ;D 

Even so, were I making a call in a >2-person household, I would want the ability to cut out people for whom the call was not intended. Google Home Mini doesn't offer that.
-cranioscopical (December 07, 2017, 04:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

We only have 2 devices :P

mouser:
Well, I went ahead and did it, I bought a 3d printer.

Anycubic I3 Mega:

Supposed to be a good 3d printer for beginners, and nice and compact.

I'm just printing the test thing now.

What I'd really like to do is have a 3d cody -- anyone have enough 3d (and 3d printer) experience to try to make a version of Cody our mascot for 3d printing?
3d Cody Mascot model discussion thread: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=45256.0

ayryq:
If we could get a cody holding a big coin/medal where we could customize the writing it would be so awesome to be able to print out custom "awards" to send to people..
-mouser (February 16, 2018, 04:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Mouser, have you played with openscad at all? I think it would be the most DC-like way to design something like this. Though it doesn't lend itself to "organic" shapes it might be an interesting challenge--and could be easily customized with text (there's a font library I believe).

Everything I've successfully designed (rather than just downloading from thingiverse) has been done in OpenSCAD. I just don't have the chops for traditional CAD programs but the programming-language style seems to click better (for me). It reminds me of back in the day when I played with POV-RAY from some shareware catalog :)

And now a gadget, for it is the weekend!

I bought a surprisingly-inexpensive intervalometer for my DSLR. It's got a wireless remote and plugs into the port on the side of the camera. All it "does" is trigger the shutter on the camera (both half- and full-press), but can be programmed to do so in quite a large variety of ways, from using it as a time-lapse controller to using it to control ultra-long "bulb" photos. I've used it already as a remote trigger for a family portrait: we also have an infrared remote but that requires line-of-sight and so you can usually find the person controlling the picture - this device is 2.4GHz wireless so can be hidden. My intention is to use it to take wide-angle astrophotography, but it's been too cold, cloudy, and snowy here in Michigan to give that a try so far. I have a Nikon but it's available for Canon too; only the cord is different.

Gadget WEEKENDS

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version