ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gadget WEEKENDS

<< < (64/121) > >>

Renegade:
Hah, you got in ahead of me Ren -
I wanted to post yesterday about my latest aquisition but the connection went:
it's a similar adjustable safety razor from Gillette. They were made from 1959 up to '86. Not sure how old my one is - I got to say I was amazed by the shave - clean, easy, very smooth; I'd have to try hard to cut myself with the thing (I used use an older similar style no/unknown-brand non-adjustable razor, if you didnt 100% focus while shaving, you'd take a chunk out of yourself...)

(Took a nice pic of it but it's on main machine, will post tomorrow or sometime.)
-tomos (August 09, 2014, 01:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Tomos! You're a *sharp* guy! ;) Still waiting for those photos! :D

tomos:
with apologies for delay ;-)

Gillette double-edged adjustable safety razor

apparently aka Fatboy :)

Renegade:
with apologies for delay ;-)
 (see attachment in previous post)
Gillette double-edged adjustable safety razor

apparently aka Fatboy :)
-tomos (August 13, 2014, 04:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Heh! Nice! :D

When I was very young, I somehow got an old safety razor for a toy. I think I was like 9 or 10 - I forget. But it looked very similar to that one. I just remember the handle being like that. I'm pretty sure it was a butterfly. But, dim and foggy memories there...

ewemoa:
Thermomix. Totally insane. Just crazy what you can do with it. Off the hook. No words to describe it. I'd heard about it and thought, "Meh, whatever." No... It's simply mind-blowing.
-Renegade (July 12, 2013, 06:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

So, how has this one been since your original post?

Renegade:
Thermomix. Totally insane. Just crazy what you can do with it. Off the hook. No words to describe it. I'd heard about it and thought, "Meh, whatever." No... It's simply mind-blowing.
-Renegade (July 12, 2013, 06:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

So, how has this one been since your original post?
-ewemoa (August 15, 2014, 04:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Simply. Amazing.

I use it all the time. All the time. It's simply so much better than any food processor I've ever used.

Yesterday I used it to prepare everything for the slow cooker. Did a large slow cooked roast in salsa that I made in the Thermomix very quickly. It was super easy and fast, and man... I think it was some of the best cooking I've done.

Salsa in the TM - roast in the slow cooker - just to clear that up.

e.g. For the salsa...

Quarter an onion & throw it in with some garlic cloves. Chop it finely with the TM - level 7 or so.

Throw in coriander/cilantro. Same deal - chop finely again.

Quarter or halve up the onions, roma tomatoes, and chop bell peppers into large chunks --- you can be as sloppy as you want there. Chop at level 4.

Done.

That takes less than a minute.

Doing that manually would take an extra 15 minutes easily. Depends on how much you make. With the TM, it doesn't really matter whether you spend 1 minute or 2 for double the amount.

Oh... and creating a base for sauces... super easy. Here's one:

Garlic cloves & halved onions --> Chop at level 7 for, oh, 3 seconds. Pour in 30 grams of olive oil - the TM measures it for you! Saute in TM for 3 minutes while you get other ingredients ready.

I'd say that I pretty much use it for 75%+ of all the cooking I do. It's insanely versatile.

There are a huge number of recipes here:

http://www.recipecommunity.com.au/

However, once you get used to the TM, you can do almost any recipe in it.

Oh! Steaming! Great for that! Steam meat or cabbage rolls while you cook the sauce in the TM --- doing 2 things at the same time.

It also makes cooking a lot more fun. I've learned to cook a LOT more things with it. Stuff that I never would have imagined trying.

Oh, and ice cream or sorbet! Super easy to make in the TM.

Another few nice things:

* it's DRM free,
* has no licensing restrictions,
* no royalties,
* no embedded tracking software,
* doesn't require me to login before I use it,
* doesn't require 2FA,
* has no remote kill switch,
* has no back doors,
* works without a network connection,
* has no outside dependencies,
* doesn't require an installer,