ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gadget WEEKENDS

<< < (63/121) > >>

4wd:
This is the gear I bought:
 (see attachment in previous post)
I ended up with a Merkur Futur 701 (761? whatever...) adjustable razor (against all advice people gave). It's nice as I can adjust it and am not locked into buying multiple razors then. It's also more expensive than others, but I figured the flexibility would be worth it.-Renegade (August 09, 2014, 09:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

And now you need to get one of these, (a safety razor strop):

Stretch your dollar a little further.

Nifty little things, blade holder pops out the side, put a blade in, slide it back in and pop the crank handle out the other side to give it a few turns.

My dad has one of these, (doesn't use it), I gave up shaving when I was 18 ... 35 years ago ... so much easier  ;)

Renegade:
Hah, you got in ahead of me Ren -
I wanted to post yesterday about my latest aquisition but the connection went:
it's a similar adjustable safety razor from Gillette. They were made from 1959 up to '86. Not sure how old my one is - I got to say I was amazed by the shave - clean, easy, very smooth; I'd have to try hard to cut myself with the thing (I used use an older similar style no/unknown-brand non-adjustable razor, if you didnt 100% focus while shaving, you'd take a chunk out of yourself...)

(Took a nice pic of it but it's on main machine, will post tomorrow or sometime.)
-tomos (August 09, 2014, 01:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Get 'er posted! ;D

And now you need to get one of these, (a safety razor strop):
 (see attachment in previous post)
Stretch your dollar a little further.

Nifty little things, blade holder pops out the side, put a blade in, slide it back in and pop the crank handle out the other side to give it a few turns.

My dad has one of these, (doesn't use it), I gave up shaving when I was 18 ... 35 years ago ... so much easier  ;)
-4wd (August 09, 2014, 02:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I tried looking, but I couldn't find any new ones, and I'm guessing that antique ones won't be useful due to the leather being too old & unmaintained. But, I'll keep looking.

Every time I change blades, I keep thinking of straight razors and stropping them, and wondering why I'm wasting a blade that can perfectly well be sharpened to use again. It seems wasteful. God knows a "dull" razor blade is still incredibly sharp.

mwb1100:
Getting a real shaving kit is an idea I've been toying with, though my facial hair is so sparse as to be just a level or two above peach fuzz.

As far as extending the life of your blades: when I was a kid you could get a small pyramid that you'd put your razor blades inside in order to keep them sharp through 'pyramid power'.  I imagine that Gillette did something to suppress that technology.  I think you should test it out.

Also, your post reminded me of this SNL parody from the very first show, back in 1975 (starring current US Senator Al Franken as "the Caveman"):

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/75/75atriple.phtml

barney:
I tried looking, but I couldn't find any new ones, and I'm guessing that antique ones won't be useful due to the leather being too old & unmaintained. But, I'll keep looking.

Every time I change blades, I keep thinking of straight razors and stropping them, and wondering why I'm wasting a blade that can perfectly well be sharpened to use again. It seems wasteful. God knows a "dull" razor blade is still incredibly sharp.
-Renegade (August 09, 2014, 08:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Renegade, when I was using double-edged blades - Gillete, Shick - it was common practice to strop the blade against a bathroom mirror.  That realigned the edges, smoothing out the parts that had been realigned/misaligned by the act of shaving.  Dunno that might help ya, but it's worth a try.  Saved me a great deal of discomfort when I couldn't afford a new blade every day.

Renegade:
Getting a real shaving kit is an idea I've been toying with, though my facial hair is so sparse as to be just a level or two above peach fuzz.
-mwb1100 (August 09, 2014, 11:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Must be nice! :)

But you might just enjoy it. Think of it as entertainment at that point.

Real shaving cream is simply fantastic... The stuff you get at a good barber? Yeah - better.

As far as extending the life of your blades: when I was a kid you could get a small pyramid that you'd put your razor blades inside in order to keep them sharp through 'pyramid power'.  I imagine that Gillette did something to suppress that technology.  I think you should test it out.
--- End quote ---

While I do love a good conspiracy and whatnot, I'm thinking that pyramid crystal new age power is bit off the beaten track for me. :)

Also, your post reminded me of this SNL parody from the very first show, back in 1975 (starring current US Senator Al Franken as "the Caveman"):

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/75/75atriple.phtml

--- End quote ---

Heh! I'd not see that before.

But really... more blades in disposables is better. A lot better. And a lot more expensive.

Quite literally, I'll go through multiple multi-blade disposable razors for 1 shave if I let my beard go too long. And that's when I buzz it off with clippers beforehand.

But multi-blade disposables are darn good.

Renegade, when I was using double-edged blades - Gillete, Shick - it was common practice to strop the blade against a bathroom mirror.  That realigned the edges, smoothing out the parts that had been realigned/misaligned by the act of shaving.  Dunno that might help ya, but it's worth a try.  Saved me a great deal of discomfort when I couldn't afford a new blade every day.
-barney (August 10, 2014, 01:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm... Mirrors... I'll have to give it a shot. Can't hurt.

Well, yeah - it could hurt. I'll hold the blade with a towel or take other precautions. I've worked with blades for far too long to take anything for granted. Razors? God... Deep razor cuts are sick - been close enough there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version