ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gadget WEEKENDS

<< < (34/122) > >>

fenixproductions:
small perfume sample
-fenixproductions (February 16, 2013, 12:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm curious what emergency this is for?
-mwb1100 (February 16, 2013, 04:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sometimes you just want to smell nice (i.e. on meetings). Of course, it does not replace proper shower and may be used in "comb situations" too :)

But alcohol in it can:
1. make better fire,
2. be antiseptic,
3. make it easier to clean things.

It also helps in crowded winter bus where people sweat a lot or some homeless guys appear. It is better to inhale drop of it on tissue instead of stinky air.

f0dder:

* paracord line - dunno what to do with it ;)-fenixproductions (February 16, 2013, 12:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
Handy if you're in an emergency where you need to beat somebody up? :)

4wd:

Sometimes you just want to smell nice (i.e. on meetings). Of course, it does not replace proper shower and may be used in "comb situations" too :)

But alcohol in it can:
1. make better fire,
2. be antiseptic,
3. make it easier to clean things.
-fenixproductions (February 16, 2013, 04:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

4. Impromptu Mace/Capsicum spray.

Anyway, another favourite technician gadget: the butane soldering iron

Since I got this ~17 years ago I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've resorted to my old electric version.  The above is the original Portasol, (with a Telecom Australia logo stamped on to stop people nicking them ).

Hmmm, explosive gas and made in Ireland.....

Renegade:
^^ That's got quite the nice range of tips there!  :up:

f0dder:
So, payday and stuff - new gadgets.

Been wanting to consolidate some of my external drives for a while, as they take up a fair amount of shelf space... and on top of that, those old drives are prettttty slow. Disk#1 and #2 are 500gig and have USB2 and FireWire400 (much faster, but still slow... but my current workstation doesn't have FW) - and, fortunately, eSata, which I had forgotten - nice surprise to rediscover that ;D. Disk#1 is chugging along at 50MB/s right now.

So, enter the Western Digital My Passport 2TB USB3!

Disk#3 is much newer than 1&2, but only has USB2 :( - fortunately, getting the drive out was as easy as unscrewing four screws and the drive slid right out. I expect it to be able to go a fair bit faster than the 50MB/s of 1&2. USB2 would've been dreary though - 1TB at that speed is something along the lines of 8-10 hours of transfer.

Gadget WEEKENDS

Not a super fancy and interesting gadget, I guess, but it's nice getting that data consolidated - will probably donate the old disks to p3lb0x. Oh, and apart from consolidation, the speed is nice - along the lines of 100MB/s read and 90MB/s write, that was a deciding factor as well :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version