ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gadget WEEKENDS

<< < (27/122) > >>

app103:
around here, old outhouses/toilets usually had a heart shape cut in the door (I have *no* idea why...)
I dont suppose you've any idea of it's origin Stephen?
-tomos (January 21, 2013, 06:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's an easy to answer question...light and ventilation.

tomos:
around here, old outhouses/toilets usually had a heart shape cut in the door (I have *no* idea why...)
--- End quote ---

-app103 (January 21, 2013, 07:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

but the heart shape... I guess it's sort of like spraying air-freshener after :D

PS I meant the origin of the image (but was curious about the use of a heart shape too!) - will edit previous post.

Deozaan:
I dont suppose you've any idea of the origin of the image Stephen?
--- End quote ---

http://www.tineye.com/search/0f2390ffc4e336d75fd7d1e6e003e74a590d9eff/

tomos:
thanks deo, doesnt look like the original is there..

Following up on the heart shape:
http://missourifolkloresociety.truman.edu/outhouses.html
The simplest explanation is that the cutout was one of several simple icons used for ornament: ornamentation of the necessary is a means of assuring oneself that things have gone beyond the level of mere necessity and subsistence. In Germany, a heart-shaped cutout is more traditional -- the usage is clearly visual euphemism, i.e., putting a pleasant symbol on something intrinsically unpleasant. In this Polish example, the heart-tradition seems to have opened an associative pathway to another series, based on playing-cards ...
--- End quote ---

(The plug & socket could be from anywhere between Spain and Russia I think.)

Tinman57:
--- End quote ---

-app103 (January 21, 2013, 07:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

but the heart shape... I guess it's sort of like spraying air-freshener after :D

PS I meant the origin of the image (but was curious about the use of a heart shape too!) - will edit previous post.
-tomos (January 21, 2013, 07:28 AM)
--- End quote ---
  Most all outhouses I've ever seen had a crescent moon on the door.  Never saw one with a heart.  This looks more like a closet where makeout sessions are held, you know, plug it in and all.  lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version