topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • April 21, 2018, 05:09 AM
  • Proudly celebrating 13 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Gadget WEEKENDS  (Read 203685 times)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Gadget WEEKENDS
« Reply #450 on: December 07, 2017, 04:34 PM »
I didn't find the commands to conference the Echo Dot very useful, and one of the reasons it didn't come off well was the indicators that someone is actually calling and if the call is in progress or not very intuitive.
During an 'intercom' call I find myself resorting to the old 'over' convention  ;D 

Even so, were I making a call in a >2-person household, I would want the ability to cut out people for whom the call was not intended. Google Home Mini doesn't offer that.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #451 on: January 24, 2018, 11:27 PM »
Just put an amazon echo by my bedside -- fun gadget for listening to music while trying to fall asleep, etc.  Especially useful since I can summon music without having to open my eyes or turn out the lights.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #452 on: January 25, 2018, 07:20 AM »

During an 'intercom' call I find myself resorting to the old 'over' convention  ;D 

Even so, were I making a call in a >2-person household, I would want the ability to cut out people for whom the call was not intended. Google Home Mini doesn't offer that.
-cranioscopical (December 07, 2017, 04:34 PM)

We only have 2 devices :P

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #453 on: February 01, 2018, 05:52 PM »
Well, I went ahead and did it, I bought a 3d printer.

Anycubic I3 Mega:

Supposed to be a good 3d printer for beginners, and nice and compact.

I'm just printing the test thing now.

What I'd really like to do is have a 3d cody -- anyone have enough 3d (and 3d printer) experience to try to make a version of Cody our mascot for 3d printing?
3d Cody Mascot model discussion thread: http://www.donationc...ex.php?topic=45256.0
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:24 PM by mouser »

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Thread on 3d Printing Cody Model
« Reply #454 on: February 16, 2018, 08:29 PM »
If we could get a cody holding a big coin/medal where we could customize the writing it would be so awesome to be able to print out custom "awards" to send to people..

Mouser, have you played with openscad at all? I think it would be the most DC-like way to design something like this. Though it doesn't lend itself to "organic" shapes it might be an interesting challenge--and could be easily customized with text (there's a font library I believe).

Everything I've successfully designed (rather than just downloading from thingiverse) has been done in OpenSCAD. I just don't have the chops for traditional CAD programs but the programming-language style seems to click better (for me). It reminds me of back in the day when I played with POV-RAY from some shareware catalog :)

And now a gadget, for it is the weekend!

I bought a surprisingly-inexpensive intervalometer for my DSLR. It's got a wireless remote and plugs into the port on the side of the camera. All it "does" is trigger the shutter on the camera (both half- and full-press), but can be programmed to do so in quite a large variety of ways, from using it as a time-lapse controller to using it to control ultra-long "bulb" photos. I've used it already as a remote trigger for a family portrait: we also have an infrared remote but that requires line-of-sight and so you can usually find the person controlling the picture - this device is 2.4GHz wireless so can be hidden. My intention is to use it to take wide-angle astrophotography, but it's been too cold, cloudy, and snowy here in Michigan to give that a try so far. I have a Nikon but it's available for Canon too; only the cord is different.

617ynQjDi3L._SY355_.jpgGadget WEEKENDS

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:37 PM by ayryq »

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #455 on: March 31, 2018, 06:15 AM »
I bought a surprisingly-inexpensive intervalometer for my DSLR.
Use HD, full screen or you can't see the stars!

Padlock6

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #456 on: April 09, 2018, 09:20 PM »
I bought a 'delta' style printer last black Friday, and have enjoyed building it- then figuring out how to make good parts!
I work with 3D CAD at work, so the creating is pretty straightforward, as long as there are not too many curves.  Sorry, CODY would be easiest to print if it was scanned, or recreated by an artist.  Which I'm not.
So far I have printed 4 custom hooks to hold dog leashes, an adapter to mount my dashcam in the most discreet spot, and some button battery holders for a guy at work making electric tea lights.  My current project is an organizer for the center console in my truck to hold glasses.  It's slow going, but I'll get there.
Good printing to you.   :)

dc
Yeah, trees don't grow on money either.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #457 on: April 09, 2018, 09:23 PM »
I have seen mention of a "delta" 3d printer but I don't really know what it means.

And thanks for reminding me after I split off the 3d cody model discussion -- we actually have a good one now.  The discussion of 3d cody model was split off into this thread: http://www.donationc...ex.php?topic=45256.0

Padlock6

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #458 on: April 10, 2018, 07:53 PM »
It's a 'delta' style because it has three legs, and three arms that control the hotend.  So no true X, Y, and Z axes. 
Here's one similar to the one I got.   https://3dprinting.c...nter/anycubic-delta/   
If you skip to 5:25 on this video   https://www.youtube..../watch?v=11PVy4AUbeQ   you can see how hypnotizing it can be.
At least for me.
Yeah, trees don't grow on money either.