topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Gadget WEEKENDS  (Read 581356 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Gadget WEEKENDS
« Reply #175 on: March 06, 2013, 02:49 AM »
I figure it's me just talking to myself on this thread so why bother sticking to the rules..

:D

some of us reading it anyway :up:
Tom

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #176 on: March 06, 2013, 06:54 PM »
I figure it's me just talking to myself on this thread so why bother sticking to the rules..

I think most people see this as a closed forum not requiring any feedback.  I see from the counter it has 12337 views at this point.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2013, 11:21 PM »
I would beg to differ, sir.
Two (2) things bear remarking.  If you don't follow your own rules, how can you expect others to follow them  :-\?  No censure implied/intended, but since you're not a member of the US government, you should abide by your own rulings  :P.    As a vegan chef on a cooking show I enjoy says, "It is what it is."

The other thing - and it is legion - has to do with the gadgets presented to date.  You've presented several Swiffer products having to do with floor maintenance.  I have/had every product you mentioned.  I suspect many of us do, but what's the point of duplication?  If it has been presented once, there's no need - other than pride of ownership, maybe  :-\ - to present them again.  Think I bewailed that fact once  ;D

On another occasion, I was about to present a butane soldering package I had just replaced - and found I had been preempted by another DC member.  Only difference 'twixt his, as displayed, and mine is that mine has a hot knife head.  That head is particularly useful on a sailboat for severing lines/sheets/ropes, as most of 'em are nylon - in fact, it went overboard  >:(, hence the replacement  :-[.

Then there's applicability.  I mess around in the kitchen off and on.  But I doubt that pictures of four (4) different salt and pepper grinders would be of much interest to a group that seems primarily oriented toward all things computer.  Mebbe a picture of a Slingbox?  But it ain't workin' just yet, so there's nothing there, to speak of.

And don't forget popularity.  As mentioned by tomos and Tinman57, the viewing level is not too shabby  :Thmbsup:.

OK, I need another lager  :-* ... time to close this  ;).

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #178 on: March 07, 2013, 04:33 AM »
"It is what it is."

Eso si que es
#SOCKS

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #179 on: March 07, 2013, 05:45 AM »
I doubt that pictures of four (4) different salt and pepper grinders would be of much interest to a group that seems primarily oriented toward all things computer.

I want to see them !
(honestly :P)
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #180 on: March 07, 2013, 10:06 AM »
I figure it's me just talking to myself on this thread
Is the language bad enough for that?  ;)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Amazing air mouse
« Reply #181 on: March 09, 2013, 06:34 PM »
UPDATE:  read my buggy behavior report below.  I DO NOT recommend this device as a primary, reliable tool.  Just as a cheap toy with a potentially great featureset.  It will not replace the more reliable brands like gyration and logitech.

So i just got this thing, and it's incredible.  $30, mind you.
http://www.amazon.co...Remote/dp/B006OW1J1M
51+vqiWjQUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Let me tell you what this thing can do:
--full air mouse, meaning you wave your hand around in the air and move the mouse.  Super smooth, plug and play.  Why am I making a big deal?  The only other ones that we are aware of from the big companies are Logitech and Gyration, and they cost over $100.  This is an incredible deal.
--It has a full keyboard.  amazing.
--turn it over, on the other side, it has a simple setup for a TV replacement remote, it can learn IR commands.
--the usb receiver is hidden inside.  lovely.
--exact size of an iphone.
--rechargeable with a regular, non-proprietary usb cable.
--replaceable battery
--works on windows, and android!

This is amazing to me.  Maybe I'm over-sensitive to things like this, but it reveals a few things to me.  How stupid and ignorant most of my country (US) is to the technology available, especially regarding what things should cost, how easy they should be to use, how simple doesn't necessarily mean better, and better doesn't necessarily mean more complicated, how strong the marketing of the more popular brands are, etc etc.  Also, how held back the US technology experience is because of legal/political issues, and how little people realize this.  If I hear one more person show amazement by whatever new feature the iphone can do, i will throw up.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:17 PM by superboyac »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #182 on: March 09, 2013, 06:49 PM »
$30 bucks? how the hell did the pull that off?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #183 on: March 09, 2013, 06:50 PM »
I own a $$ Gyration set. It is pretty amazing even if I primarily bought it for the to-die-for keyboard.

If this puppy works even half as good as that it's worth double the asking price imho.

Thanks for sharing! :Thmbsup:

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #184 on: March 09, 2013, 06:51 PM »
But will it clean your floors?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #185 on: March 09, 2013, 06:51 PM »
$30 bucks? how the hell did the pull that off?

Slave labor. ;)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #186 on: March 09, 2013, 08:28 PM »
How does that work with Android? Does it use Bluetooth?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #187 on: March 09, 2013, 09:59 PM »
I own a $$ Gyration set. It is pretty amazing even if I primarily bought it for the to-die-for keyboard.

If this puppy works even half as good as that it's worth double the asking price imho.

Thanks for sharing! :Thmbsup:
It totally works at least half as good.  The gyration stuff is better built and probably more ergonomically comfortable.  Their stuff is great.  Logitech's MX Air mouse is also fantastic.  And yes, it probably is a product of some sort of slave labor (I even looked up the company's info online, and you can see the conveyer belt booths and factory environment  >:().

The featureset is remarkable.  Keyboard and air-mouse in one device is the only one of it's kind I know of.

How does that work with Android? Does it use Bluetooth?
I believe it does somehow.  Crazy eh?  I really don't know at this point, haven't been able to test that out, but others have and say it works.  I have another media player device coming ($60) that's an Android device and I'll try it out on that.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #188 on: March 10, 2013, 04:30 AM »
A fun gadget for guitar players:

Super-Simple-cropped-Jellifish-489x673.jpg

It's a kind of guitar pick for special effects.

http://www.jellifish.com/

They don't have a huge number of dealers, so you might be better off ordering one online.

But I'm not even sure that they're still in business. Some of their dealers' web sites are gone. You might need to check ebay or amazon if you want one.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2013, 07:37 AM »
I think the Jellyfish is hard to find because it basically isn't that musically useful and people have stopped buying them. Those little springs also have a tendency to snag and semi-unravel after a relatively short time. And it's more difficult than it looks to find a good sound using one of these things.

I bought one, and had two more given to me by people who tried and gave up on it. All three are currently residing in the tin where I keep spare picks, small parts, and other junk.

YMMV... However, if anybody has recorded something good that depended on one of these things, could you please point me to it? I'm one of those people who hates to admit defeat when it comes to something like this. ;D

lotusrootstarch

• Joined in 2009
  • People reckon I'll smash into Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #190 on: March 11, 2013, 06:35 PM »
Bought this sensor bin last week following mouser's recommendation:

Holding capacity of 42L which is a good sized rubbish bin to have. Sensor distance of 5-15cm from the sensor window, the cover of the rubbish bin automatically opens within half a second when rubbish is put within range of the sensor window. The indicator light will turn green when the lid automatically opens and then turns red when the lid closes automatically. The cover closes automatically after the rubbish has been thrown into the rubbish bin.

There is a button on the right hand side for you to press, if you'd rather open the rubbish bin yourself.
Get my apps in Android Market! Go droids go! :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #191 on: March 11, 2013, 10:00 PM »
So i just got this thing, and it's incredible.  $30, mind you.
http://www.amazon.co...Remote/dp/B006OW1J1M (see attachment in previous post)
Let me tell you what this thing can do:
--full air mouse, meaning you wave your hand around in the air and move the mouse.  Super smooth, plug and play.  Why am I making a big deal?  The only other ones that we are aware of from the big companies are Logitech and Gyration, and they cost over $100.  This is an incredible deal.
--It has a full keyboard.  amazing.
--turn it over, on the other side, it has a simple setup for a TV replacement remote, it can learn IR commands.
--the usb receiver is hidden inside.  lovely.
--exact size of an iphone.
--rechargeable with a regular, non-proprietary usb cable.
--replaceable battery
--works on windows, and android!

This is amazing to me.  Maybe I'm over-sensitive to things like this, but it reveals a few things to me.  How stupid and ignorant most of my country (US) is to the technology available, especially regarding what things should cost, how easy they should be to use, how simple doesn't necessarily mean better, and better doesn't necessarily mean more complicated, how strong the marketing of the more popular brands are, etc etc.  Also, how held back the US technology experience is because of legal/political issues, and how little people realize this.  If I hear one more person show amazement by whatever new feature the iphone can do, i will throw up.
OK...just noticed some buggy behavior with this device.  the orientation can reverse it seems randomly and there is a fn-esc combo key that is supposed to fix it and it hasn't really worked for me.  also at times, the mouse will be going spazzy all over the place (uncontrollable).  So I would NOT at this point recommend it as a replacement for the reliable logitech and gyration, but merely a backup or cheap alternative.

dspelley

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • But it's a dry heat.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #192 on: March 23, 2013, 11:23 PM »
Kill-A-Watt
kill_a_watt.jpgGadget WEEKENDS

Plug this gadget into a wall outlet and then plug your appliance or other gadget into it. Measures how much energy (kWh) your appliance has used since the kWh reading was reset.  Will also measure voltage, current, frequency, etc.  This is the simplest model (costs about $20) , but they have others that will calculate your electric costs if you enter your electric rate (cents/kWh for example).

I'm trying to see how much "Vampire" electric load my house has with TVs, VCR/DVRs, computers, modems, programmable thermostat, etc., all drawing a little bit of current 24 hrs a day.

I was telling my kids the other day - when I was growing up in the 50s, our house had a gas stove, refrigerator, and water heater. We didn't have a TV or tablets or cell phones to charge, and there were no digital displays glowing all night. We had wind-up clocks, except for a wall clock in our kitchen. On a cool summer evening, when the house was shut down for the night, that kitchen clock might have been the only thing in the house drawing any electricity. Big difference today!
We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on.
--- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #193 on: April 06, 2013, 11:46 PM »
Kill-A-Watt (see attachment in previous post)
Plug this gadget into a wall outlet and then plug your appliance or other gadget into it...
Thanks for posting this.
Spotted this rather interesting mod at adafruit:RaspiWatt: discover power consumption using a Kill-A-Watt & Pi

Now, where's my soldering iron?...

lotusrootstarch

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #194 on: April 14, 2013, 07:46 PM »
mouser's been tirelessly hassling me to post a gadget so here goes one... ;)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160900777168

Luvelo Elite Yoghurt Maker

Got this last week after my mom told me that my grandma's been very happy with her homemade yogurts using a yogurt maker. It's actually quite simple to follow the recipes and make your own yogurt with this machine. All the ingredients you need are some existing yogurt, milk, and milk powder... basically sterilised the milk, stir the powder and yogurt in a bowl and pour into the containers, then set the timer to 10-12 hours and that's it! The machine will automatically maintain the temperature most suitable for the yogurt cultures to grow.

The machine comes with 14 jars and can accommodate 7 jars at a time so you can make the second batch while enjoying the first one.

IMG_0490.jpg
images.jpg

lotusrootstarch

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #195 on: April 14, 2013, 07:55 PM »
More gadgets to be reviewed from my Kitchen v0.8 alpha implementation... later...  :D

IMG_0498.jpgGadget WEEKENDS
IMG_0500.jpgGadget WEEKENDS
IMG_0501.jpgGadget WEEKENDS

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #196 on: April 14, 2013, 07:58 PM »
Looks like you opened up a high-tech restaurant kitchen in your house!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #197 on: April 14, 2013, 09:05 PM »
What with them jackhammering up my bathroom to repair an 80 year old steam pipe encased in 12 inches of concrete, I'm in a construction-tool gadget mood.

I want to post about the greatest tool since sliced bread, the oscillating "multi" tool.

There are a bunch of different models of these, from cheap $30 corded versions (that work fine) to $200 cordless versions (i always prefer cordless).

Basically they just vibrate at high speeds and can accept different saw-like heads.  They are very similar in spirit to the ubiquitous dremel (rotary tool), in that there a million different little tasks that they can make quick work of.

Note: A Dremel is as essential, if not more so, than an oscillating tool -- so start with one of those if you don't own one already.

What makes these oscillating multi tools so useful is that they like you use a very thin blade flush with an object and with excellent precision.  For example if you strip a screw you could use it to cut the screw off half way -- or you could use it to slip behind some woodworking trim to cut it loose, etc.

Anyway, I consider it an essential gadget for serious DIY home-construction type folks.

041413_1959.png

BONUS "gadget":

This may be one of the cheapest non-gadget DIY gadgets I can recommend, but also one of my favorites:

A box of disposable latex gloves:
gloves.jpg

I always have a couple of boxes of these on hand.. You'd be surprised how handy they are to have around and make a million little tasks less onerous.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 07:04 PM by mouser »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #198 on: April 19, 2013, 04:03 PM »
So, back in... not sure exactly when, but early 2000s, pre-2003, I bought a used NAD 314 (originally purchased in 1996, the receipt says). It's been a trusty friend, and undergone repairs once - but I got tired of smacking it around to get all the speakers working.

So, Wednesday, I went out and bought this beauty:
IMG_0161.JPGGadget WEEKENDS
A Cambridge Audio azur 651A. It's super nice to have decent audio again, without having to smack the amp around every few minutes - and tight bass and treble sections seem to have quite tighter response. I can't tell much of a difference when listening to Nick Cave, Depeche Mode or The Cure... but stuff like VNV Nation and Suicide Commando, or Metallica's "...and Justice For All"? Wow.

Not sure my neighbors appreciate it as much as I do, though.

Also, I kinda wanted an amp with TOSlink, but stereo amps sporting that had ridiculous pricetags, and generally wouldn't be able to downmix surround signals (though handling stereo at 24bit 96 or 192KHz). This amp has an USB input, connecting it to a computer makes it show up as a generic USB audio device, capable of 16bit@33/44.1/48KHz... good enough for me, especially at the pricetag. And it even works without a hitch on Linux, who would've thought?!

Next up: getting the NAD C521BEE fixed... all the smacking around of the NAD314 has gotten the laser desynced, so it doesn't play CDs anymore :-[ :-[ :-[
- carpe noctem

lotusrootstarch

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #199 on: April 25, 2013, 06:46 PM »
Time to post another kitchen gadget!

http://www.breville.com.au/waffle-creations.html

From the manufacturer's site:
The crispy outside and soft inside texture of a waffle topped with maple syrup, cream or strawberries is a beautiful way to start or end the day. Breville's Waffle Creations™ makes 6 heart-shaped waffles, the traditional waffle shape of Scandinavia.
Perfect for a weekend family breakfast or brunch, Breville's Waffle Creations™ bakes waffles in just minutes. Made with heat-proof handles and a non-stick cooking plate for a no-mess clean-up it's both safe and easy to use.

IMG_0521.jpgGadget WEEKENDS
IMG_0527.jpgGadget WEEKENDS
IMG_0528.jpgGadget WEEKENDS
IMG_0529.jpgGadget WEEKENDS