topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Gadget WEEKENDS  (Read 581315 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Gadget WEEKENDS
« on: November 15, 2012, 09:09 PM »
I propose we have a thread where we can recommend gadgets that we like, but I suggest we follow some strict rules to make things more interesting.

Here are the rules:

• 1. You may ONLY post about ONE gadget per week, and only on a FRIDAY WEEKEND.
  • 2. Every gadget item post must include an attached image of the gadget.
  • 3. Every gadget item posted about should be for sale somewhere; you may include a purchase link with an affiliate/referral id.
  • 4. You must personally OWN the item you are posting about.
  • 5. The goal is to introduce gadget addicts to new discoveries.

NOTE: You can make posts on this thread on any day to discuss the items posted about by others - the rules and restriction above only apply to making new posts introducing new gadgets.

The first Gadget FRIDAY WEEKEND starts in 3 hours!
(remember, you can't post on any other day except when forum time, in upper-right corner of page, says it's a Friday).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 02:53 PM by mouser »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Gadget Fridays
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 09:27 PM »
Sounds like a fantastic idea! :D

I think it would be a bonus to post a picture of the gadget you have, but that could be a PITA.

Due to timezones, do we just start on our own? I'm in GMT +10, and it shows Friday for me.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 09:37 PM »
Hmm I didn't realize local time zone affects what is displayed, perhaps I should fix that.. But the answer is *no* -- we are enforcing a single timezone rule here, so you have to wait for Friday as defined by Central Standard Time.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 10:09 PM »
Ok. Looks like 5 pm here then. Thanks for the clarification.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 01:39 AM »
I propose we have a thread where we can recommend gadgets that we like,
:Thmbsup:

Gadget to be read as in 'totally generic gadget', or does it have to be software-ish?

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 05:38 AM »
What exactly is considered to be a "gadget" ?

Something like this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadget
In the software industry, "Gadget" refers to computer programs
that provide services without needing an independent application
to be launched for each one, but instead run in an environment
that manages multiple gadgets.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 06:03 AM »
I was thinking NON-software gadgets.

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 06:06 AM »
I was thinking NON-software gadgets.

:-\  are there such? Really?

;D ;)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 06:24 AM »
I LOVE kitchen gadgets! :D And things with motors. And moving parts. Even things that don't have moving parts but are novel. Like my skull ashtrays. But they're not gadgets. Gadgets do things. Nifty things. Things that make you go oooooh~!  :-*

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 07:09 AM »
Looks like I'm the first to make a Gadget post.

Here's mine for this week, a Vacuum Food Sealer:

Screenshot - 11_16_2012 , 6_58_58 AM - cap 00075.png

The idea of a vacuum food sealer is to remove the air and thus preserve foods for longer, and keep frozen foods from developing ice crystals.

Do they work? Consensus on the web seems to be yes they do prolong life of foods, and my personal experience backs that up -- but I wouldn't say they are miracle workers and I wouldn't say you are guaranteed to save money using them unless you store lots of bulk food.

For the irrational gadget lover they are wonderful things, because they make noise, require the purchase of accessory supplies (bags), and give you a serious gadget satisfaction when you use them.

I have had one for a few years and use it regularly.  I tend to make food in batches and freeze some and it's very satisfying to use the device.

I have a FoodSaver brand, forget the model but it's middle of the road.

Links:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 07:22 AM by mouser »

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 07:48 AM »
I recently got a foldable tablet/phone/notebook stand:

portable-stand-unfolded.jpgGadget WEEKENDS

Tried it with a couple of tablets oriented horizontally and vertically with no problems.  Currently being used as a stand for a notebook pc (though with some anti-slip material as insurance).

FWIW, the image doesn't show it, but the legs can be extended further out.

Think there's some OEM-ing going on with this as I see multiple similar offerings online.  Some examples include:

http://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Stand-Kickstand-Extendable-Aluminimun/dp/B0043NH28S/
  http://www.amazon.com/Kickstand-Adjustable-Handheld-Electronics-computer/dp/B003KGZTKW/
  http://www.amazon.com/KB-Covers-Stand-iPad-Black/dp/B003VFALEQ/

More pics can be seen via the above three links ;)

Might get another one or two for other devices here, but am thinking of waiting a bit to see how the existing one fares.

Thanks to mouser for posting a link to another stand -- that link helped to find the three above :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 07:50 AM »
I was trying to think of a fun gadget that I have, and then I turned my head to my left. BINGO~! :D

The Young Living home essential oil diffuser! I LOVE IT~! :D We have 2 of them! ;D

Super_Simple_cropped_DSC_0354_1272x652.jpgGadget WEEKENDS

Young Living essential oils are therapeutic grade, so the diffusers can be used either recreationally/aesthetically, or for practical use. e.g. Diffuse Thieves oil to clean the air/room, or lavender oil to relax or fall asleep. etc. etc. etc.

You have to have the oils to diffuse, but YL has a huge selection. It doesn't matter what you diffuse, as long as you like it, though I'm not sure that you'd want to diffuse pure essence of ginger, or black pepper. :P

One of the cool things about it is a lot of the oils you can use medicinally or therapeutically. 20 years ago I thought this stuff was all pure bunk, but after actually seeing it in action, well, I'm sold on it.

I also have the Essential Oils Desktop Reference (embedded affiliate link purely because mouser said it was ok, and I am really really curious to see if anyone actually buys one! :P ), which is excellent, and explains a huge amount about what different oils do, and how to use them. I also have the smaller version of the book as well: Essential Oils Pocket Reference. It's also very good, and quicker for some things.

Today I was diffusing an oil called "Abundance", which smells just gorgeous. It's the same oil I diffused for my wife when our daughter was born. (The bottle in the middle above.)

Other oils I like are Clarity and Purification. Those are blends, but if you want pure cedar oil, or wintergreen, or orange, tangerine, lemon... there are TONNES!

While I don't diffuse peppermint oil, I drink it in water. Same goes for lemon.

You can find the diffuser here:

http://www.younglivi...ers/Home-Diffuser-US

That's actually a newer model though. I bought my first one from a friend in Penang between 3 and 4 years ago, then bought a second one here a year or 2 ago.

DISCLOSURE: However, in order to buy, you need to find a distributor (e.g. me), or sign up through a distributor (e.g. me - PM me if you are interested either way) (i.e. it is MLM). I do NOT sell Young Living products (I've never sold any in fact), and I don't sign people up. I just signed up to buy them because they're just really, really good. A friend of mine introduced them to me.

You can use them with other oils as well. I would recommend Young Living oils because I know a lot about them, about the company, and about their general philosophy. So, while they're a bit more expensive than some others, they're therapeutic grade, and extremely high quality.

BTW - I also cook with the oils! :D Even sometimes in my kangaroo tacos~! ;D (Usually oregano, black pepper, or basil there.) I also use ginger oil sometimes, especially when cooking chicken stir-fry. (Others as well, but that's an idea of the versatility.)

Here's a list of their oils. I'm highlighting the ones I normally diffuse in RED and the ones I really like to diffuse in BOLD RED. I'm including the full list to give people an idea of what they can do, but it's long, so in a spoiler.

List of oils
Single Oils
   Balsam Fir (Idaho)
   Basil
   Bergamot
   Blue Cypress
   Cedarwood
   Cinnamon Bark
   Cistus
   Clary Sage
   Clove
   Copaiba
   Coriander
   Cypress
   Dill
   Dorado Azul
   Douglas Fir
   Elemi
   Eucalyptus Blue
   Eucalyptus Radiata
   Fennel
   Frankincense - But not too often as it is expensive
   Galbanum
   Geranium
   Ginger
   Goldenrod
   Grapefruit
   Helichrysum
   Hyssop
   Jasmine
   Juniper
   Laurus Nobilis
   Lavender - Usually to relax or sleep
   Ledum (Seasonal)
   Lemon
   Lemon Myrtle
   Lemongrass
   Marjoram
   Melaleuca Alternifolia
   Melissa
   Mountain Savory
   Myrrh
   Myrtle
   Nutmeg
   Ocotea
   Orange
   Oregano
   Palo Santo
   Patchouli
   Pepper, Black
   Peppermint
   Petitgrain
   Pine
   Ravensara
   Roman Chamomile
   Rose
   Rosemary
   Sacred Frankincense
   Sage
   Sandalwood
   Spearmint
   Spikenard
   Spruce
   Tangerine
   Tarragon
   Thyme
   Tsuga
   Valerian
   Vetiver
   Wintergreen
   Ylang Ylang

Blended Oils
   3 Wise Men
   Abundance - I diffuse this most
   Acceptance
   Aroma Life
   Aroma Siez
   Australian Blue
   Awaken
   Believe - A friend of mine makes a very good living doing FX trading, and uses this oil when he trades and researches.
   Brain Power
   Christmas Spirit
   Citrus Fresh
   Clarity - LOVE this stuff!
   Common Sense
   Di-Gize
   Dragon Time
   Dream Catcher
   En-R-Gee
   EndoFlex
   Envision
   Forgiveness
   Gathering
   Gentle Baby
   Gratitude
   Grounding
   Harmony
   Highest Potential
   Hope
   Humility
   ImmuPower
   Inner Child
   Inspiration
   Joy
   Juva Cleanse
   JuvaFlex
   Longevity
   M-Grain
   Magnify Your Purpose
   Melrose
   Mister
   Motivation
   PanAway
   Peace & Calming
   Present Time
   Purification
   R.C
   Raven
   Release
   Relieve It
   RutaVaLa
   SARA
   Sacred Mountain
   SclarEssence
   Sensation
   Surrender
   Thieves - I use this to clean the room/air.
   Transformation
   Trauma Life
   Valor
   White Angelica

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 07:57 AM »
Here's mine for this week, a Vacuum Food Sealer:
 (see attachment in previous post)
The idea of a vacuum food sealer is to remove the air and thus preserve foods for longer, and keep frozen foods from developing ice crystals.

I must confess... Every time I see one in a store... I drool... I've wanted to get one of these for a LONG time. But, as I need to move in a year, I'd just have to get rid of it. So, I can't justify the expense. :(

For the irrational gadget lover they are wonderful things, because they make noise, require the purchase of accessory supplies (bags), and give you a serious gadget satisfaction when you use them.

THAT'S ME~! ;D

(I'd mention that I did this post in Editplus with the help of Text Editor Anywhere, but that's a software gadget post. ;) )

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 01:20 PM »
I'm not sure that you'd want to diffuse pure essence of ginger, or black pepper. :P

I got black pepper oil somewhere a few years back - it actually smells lovely (it is spicy, but not at all peppery like freshly ground). Dont know would it work well in the humidifier (maybe in a mix) but it's really great in the bath if you've got aching muscles.

PS Renegade
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 05:14 PM »
Seriously, no more gadget lovers here to post about their favorite gadgets?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 06:12 PM »
I'll sneak one, (well three), in:

IMG_5554.JPGGadget WEEKENDS

Top is the original Gerber Multi-tool that you could open by flicking your wrist and the jaws would slide out plus the optional 1/4" hex drive and bits.  No longer available, it's about 15+ years old.

Bottom right, (I meant my other right ), is the Gerber EVO Multi-tool and the other is a Gerber Shortcut Mini-tool.

The top one is probably my most used version due to the hex drive but it's absolutely lethal to use as pliers if you're not watching what you're doing - the handles close to a gap of about 2mm and if you happen to catch the skin of your hand, (or a finger), when the jaws slip off whatever you're using them on....IT F'N HURTS!

;)

I'm partial to Gerber but I also had a Leatherman Micra....which got left on the bus between Cusco and Puno  :(  >:(

Honestly, a tech without a multi-tool ?

Heresy  ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:19 PM by 4wd, Reason: I\'m a fricken idiot. »

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 06:56 PM »
I'm partial to Gerber but I also had a Leatherman Micra....

I use my Micra all the time!  It lives on my keychain, along with the flashlights, tape measure, usb stick, and my emergency supply of Xanax...
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 07:51 PM »
I'm partial to Gerber but I also had a Leatherman Micra....

I use my Micra all the time!  It lives on my keychain, along with the flashlights, tape measure, usb stick, and my emergency supply of Xanax...

I used to have a Squirt P4, but lost it somewhere - I loved that thing.  Leatherman no longer sells the P4; they 'combined' it with the S4 (which had scissors instead of the P4's pliers) and took away a couple other tools to make the PS4.  I don't like the compromises made to add the scissors on the PS4. I'll have to get a used P4 replacement on eBay one of these days.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 08:35 PM »
I got black pepper oil somewhere a few years back - it actually smells lovely (it is spicy, but not at all peppery like freshly ground). Dont know would it work well in the humidifier (maybe in a mix) but it's really great in the bath if you've got aching muscles.

I've not tried it in a bath. Interesting... Didn't know that. It's freaky what some of these things can do. Headaches? Wintergreen. Who'd have thunk it? :)

I cook a lot with black pepper oil, and man... does the kitchen ever smell GOOOOOD~~~~! :D

PS Renegade

Ah. Didn't see that before! Thanks!

I'll sneak one, (well three), in:
 (see attachment in previous post)
Top is the original Gerber Multi-tool that you could open by flicking your wrist and the jaws would slide out plus the optional 1/4" hex drive and bits.  No longer available, it's about 15+ years old.

Bottom right is the Gerber EVO Multi-tool and the other is an earlier version of the Gerber Splice Mini-tool.

The top one is probably my most used version due to the hex drive but it's absolutely lethal to use as pliers if you're not watching what you're doing - the handles close to a gap of about 2mm and if you happen to catch the skin of your hand, (or a finger), when the jaws slip off whatever you're using them on....IT F'N HURTS!

;)

I'm partial to Gerber but I also had a Leatherman Micra....which got left on the bus between Cusco and Puno  :(  >:(

Honestly, a tech without a multi-tool ?

Heresy  ;D

I love those things! I bought a super-uber-cheapo one on the subway or somewhere, and it served me quite well. Then when I couldn't find it, I got another relatively cheap one (from Thermos). Someday, I do want to splurge on a good one though.

Ah... Xanax... I don't take it except when I need to fly. err... I mean on airplanes, like at the airport. :P If you're going to fly, might as well be flying~! ;D (But seriously - a few Xanax and a quick guzzle of about a half dozen of those tiny airplane drinks, and all of a sudden flying is much better. Makes time just fly by. I think next time I'll try the quick guzzle & Xanax before I get to security clearance though. But not sure what dosage would make that tolerable... :P )

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 09:13 PM »
I'll have to get a used P4 replacement on eBay one of these days.

Make sure you try searching for NTSA - all those happy people that had them seized at the airport because they forgot they were on a keyring, then the NTSA sell them off to people who flog them on ebay ;)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:20 PM by 4wd »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 09:28 PM »
I've carried a leatherman for years. I originally hand the slim one that they gave away for the Marlboro Miles promotion, but I lost the damn thing (left it onsite actually). I currently have the Leatherman Blast.

Interesting bit of trivia...they have a 25 year warranty.

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 09:58 PM »
If you're stuck in the past using a stovetop kettle
http://www.amazon.co...ords=Stovetop+Kettle

Try one of these!!
http://www.amazon.co...UTF8&node=289753

I'm really baffled as to why people still use non-electric kettles.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 10:11 PM »

Have you tried measuring the temperature of the water that you heat in an electric kettle?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 10:37 PM »

Have you tried measuring the temperature of the water that you heat in an electric kettle?

Boiled is boiled. No? I'd figure that it's at 96 C, give or take a bit, either on the stove or in an electric kettle.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 03:01 AM »
Some people like to have their water boiling for a bit (decrease dissolved gases for example), and AFAIU that doesn't necessarily happen so well with some (many?) electric kettles.  IIUC, some (many?) models stop / turn off shortly after reaching 100 C (I've heard but not verified that some don't even reach 100 C) and this is not as effective as boiling (maintaining temperature at 100 C) for longer.  Excuse the inaccuracies for not taking into account pressure and such :)

Plastic electric kettles are a bit of a concern for me too for reasons having to do with heating plastic (too much for too long) that's in contact with a liquid that one is about to ingest.  Non-plastic ones I've looked for tend to be a bit less safe because of pilot error (unwariness leading to skin contacting heated metal) -- on a stove top for just the period of boiling I am more wary than when an electric kettle is sitting on a tea table for longer periods.  I'm an ex-user.

Just trying to point out here that depending on what you want to do with the water (in my own case it's green tea preparation) and what sort of water you get, the type of kettle may make a difference.