ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Tips for Windows 8 (got any?)

<< < (17/18) > >>

MilesAhead:
Nice list.  Windows key + E brings up Explorer showing Computer.

Stoic Joker:
Well, much to my surprise...the brand new HP z420 workstation I got last week with a fresh install of Windows 8.1 just decided to up and forget how to drag and drop anything this morning. It was to the point that I couldn't even resize the columns in a ListView control. But a quick Bing brought up this article which resolved the issue. The only interesting thing was that it took about 5min after making the changes for it to start working again - Damn strange me thinks - but it is working again.

Come to think of it, if the article goes away - don't you just hate when that happens - at some time in the future I'll summarize it here:
Open dcomcnfg from an administrative command prompt.

Component Services-->Computers-->My Computer [Right click] and select properties.

On the COM Security tab click Edit Defaults in the Access Permissions section (it's on top).

Note: If you are on a domain select local computer as location.

Grant Local Access permission to the SYSTEM and INTERACTIVE accounts.

Wait a minute or two and it should come back to life. Why the dramatic SciFi resurrection is necessary is beyond me but that's how it went down ... Or came back up rather.

MilesAhead:
I have to wonder if the Start Screen/Desktop setup will peacefully coexist.  I don't know what they do under the hood.  But I do notice stuff that works without issue in W7 that's a hassle in W8.  A simple example I have a PastePath tray utility.  Very simple. It just copies the path from the last active Explorer Window.  You can hotkey the path into file open, save, command prompt or even to paste in an editor.  In W8 to get it to work I have to run it as Administrator.  Even then it seems to work only half the time.  In W7 there's no issue.  Strange.

Curt:
Backup / create an image:-tomos (November 15, 2012, 02:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

>How to Create a System Image with Windows 8.1 File History<

A previous tip showed how to create a system image in Windows 8. In Windows 8.1, Microsoft changed the procedure and made it harder to find. In this tip, I will give the new way to make a system image

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-create-system-image-windows-81-file-history.htm-gizmo
--- End quote ---

tomos:
Backup / create an image:-tomos (November 15, 2012, 02:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

>How to Create a System Image with Windows 8.1 File History<

A previous tip showed how to create a system image in Windows 8. In Windows 8.1, Microsoft changed the procedure and made it [even] harder to find [ :mad:]. In this tip, I will give the new way to make a system image

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-create-system-image-windows-81-file-history.htm-gizmo
--- End quote ---
-Curt (February 12, 2014, 09:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

ftfy there Curt :D

I wonder if they're actively trying to hide it, or is this just good old incompetence...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version