topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Tips for Windows 8 (got any?)  (Read 59744 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Tips for Windows 8 (got any?)
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2013, 09:24 AM »
I just got a Laptop with W8 on it.  I'm pleasantly surprised.  Of course I disabled indexing and put latest Everything Search on it.  But out of the box it was much more usable than Vista before the first SP.  I really miss the Glass though.  But on the Laptop monitor it's tough enough just to read text on some sites(Color Toggle FF AddOn gets me over that hurdle.)  I have to wonder how Glass would look.  The Control Panel is still accessible.  So once there most confusion is eliminated.

It seems to be stable.  Although I haven't taxed the Laptop.  My days of converting video are over.  Too much work.  :)

Edit: as for "tips" Brink keeps the Tutorials section of W8 Forums loaded with tons of howto stuff.  Like how to switch from Microsoft Online login style to local login etc..

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2013, 02:20 PM »
Glass on W8 can be downloaded here

I'm using it now.  Totally clear window borders and taskbar(for those of us who do Desktop mode.)

2 Provisos..  you have to disable secure boot .. and on each boot a dialog comes up asking for a donation.  It's a nag screen that's turned off by donating.  I'm hot sure how to back off unless there's a control program.  I assume running a restore point will do the trick.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2013, 01:53 AM »
http://windowssecret...-makeover-in-win8-1/

‘PC settings’ gets major makeover in Win8.1
By Fred Langa on November 13, 2013 in Top Story:

Microsoft made a host of changes to the commands and options on Windows 8.1′s PC settings page, adding new functions and moving or renaming others.

The result is a better user experience — but one that’s undeniably confusing at first. Here’s a guide to the most important changes.
-windowssecrets

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2013, 04:14 PM »
http://www.techsuppo...-refresh-feature.htm

Make Your Windows 8/8.1 Computer Act Like New with the Refresh Feature.

Accessing the Refresh feature was described in a previous article, but here I will give some details of how to create a custom Refresh.
-gizmo's freeware

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2013, 05:50 AM »
NOTE: This will NOT work for preinstalled/OEM versions!!

This comes from a couple of comments, (by Mike and astro), over on the MakeUseOf website.

Microsoft castrated Win 8.0 Pro users by making them always have to do a 3.5GB download if you ever want to update your reinstalled OS to 8.1 or install on multiple machines - completely ignoring the fact that 80-90% of the planet doesn't have access to seemingly unlimited multi-Mb broadband at a reasonable cost, (f'n idiots) - eg. it would take me ~7 hours to download the update and I don't want to do it more than once.

Anyway, you can do a clean install of Win 8.1 Pro from a downloaded ISO and activate it with your Win 8.0 Pro license key - contrary to what MS would have you believe or want you to do.

• Grab copy of the Win 8.1 Pro ISO using the method in the MakeUseOf link above.
  • Create your install media, DVD or flash drive, and proceed with a normal install of the system - which is not connected to a network.
  • When you're asked for a key, use the appropriate KMS Client setup key from here (Microsoft TechNet) - this will allow you to install 8.1 - you will need a valid purchased license key to activate it.
  • When the install is finished, open regedit and navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/

Change MediabootInstall and RetailInstall to 0.
  • Open a CLI as Administrator, (ie. run CMD.exe as Administrator), and enter: slmgr.vbs -ipk [key]  where [key] is your duly purchased license key, without the brackets.
  • Rearm the activation: slmgr.vbs /rearm
  • Restart, connect to a network, and activate your installation.

The above worked for me without a problem when I clean installed my netbook with 8.1.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 06:01 PM by 4wd, Reason: Thanks to tomos for pointing out the OEM thing. »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2013, 03:10 PM »
^ that sounds good :up:

Note: for anyone with OEM Windows 8, it will not work:

Spock
November 15, 2013

It needs to be a purchased version of 8.0, not one preinstalled with a bought pc or laptop. Most keys from a preinstallation won’t be accepted. I have a bought acer laptop and the key the system shows doesn’t work./quote]

Tom

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2013, 05:21 PM »
Note: for anyone with OEM Windows 8, it will not work:

Thanks, I probably should of made it clearer when I said "valid purchased license key".

As an aside, I haven't played with it much yet but 8.1 definitely feels nippier than 8.0, (eg. Task Manager in <2 seconds as opposed to previous 20 seconds on first open).

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2013, 05:50 PM »
Thanks, I probably should of made it clearer when I said "valid purchased license key".

lol, I was aiming that post at people like me -
read your post; read the article; it was only when I got to the comments that I started wondering... and read the comment I quoted in my post.

Guess I should read slower, but life's too short sometimes.
Tom

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2013, 10:44 PM »
http://www.techsuppo...-refresh-feature.htm

Make Your Windows 8/8.1 Computer Act Like New with the Refresh Feature.

Accessing the Refresh feature was described in a previous article, but here I will give some details of how to create a custom Refresh.
-gizmo's freeware

As a matter of interest, has anyone got this to work?

If I try it, it always bombs out at 27% with:

The recovery image cannot be written.
Error Code - 0x80070001

Which in the context of creating a recovery image seems to be something to do with symbolic links, of which Win 8.1 has more than a few.

BTW, RecImgManager for those that don't like the CLI.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2013, 08:10 AM »
RecImgManager looks interesting.  btw are you using it or doing it the old fashioned way?

I searched 8 forums and only got one hit on that error code.  It didn't seem helpful.

Brink has a tutorial for doing custom image refreshes:
http://www.eightforu...-recovery-image.html

Not sure if it's helpful in your case though.

Edit: if that custom image program works that could be ideal for me.  I take it I could store the image on the source partition?

that would be cool since lugging around externals is weight prohibitive(if that is a word.)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 08:26 AM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2013, 10:33 AM »
I just did a backup with RecImgManager.  Seems cool.  Once I hit the go button I'd say it took about a half hour to complete.  I don't have many programs installed yet.  Only thing is there seems no provision for fixing a system that won't boot.  If things get hosed you have to figure out how to boot windows without erasing the saved image.  But maybe somebody has figured that out.  :)

So far I like it.  Nice and simple.  You want to backup or don't ya'?  If so press the button.  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2013, 10:53 AM »
Hmm, looking in the forum there seems to be a lot of questions where the backup just hangs.

If there's no method to get the restore started from a non-booting system then it seems like the value is limited.  Plus I don't know how much faith I'd have in the restore if the backups hang.  Usually it's the restore part that's not robust on these things.  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2013, 05:25 PM »
I got EaseUS ToDo Backup.  I created a partition from a slice of C:.  At least I have some backup now.  I have to burn the BootCD still.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2013, 07:25 PM »
RecImgManager looks interesting.  btw are you using it or doing it the old fashioned way?

If you mean by the old fashoined way, the CLI - then both.  RecImgManager just stops at 27% with 'Backup Failed', the CLI while also stopping at 27% at least gives me the error code.

http://www.eightforu...-recovery-image.html

Same method as the link Curt gave.

I just did a backup with RecImgManager.  Seems cool.

AFAICT, it's just a GUI under which it does the call to recimg.exe and then just redisplays the reports, (except for error codes), that recimg gives.

Since it works for you, you might as well check out SlimImage - scheduled, incremental backup. :)

Guess I'll have to stick to Paragon for whole partition images.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2013, 07:51 AM »
EaseUS ToDo I have had good luck with so far.  The Linux BootCD it makes (on v. 5 .. last time I used it) supported both my "fake raid" controller and USB 3.0 card.  No tweaking needed.  When I burn the CD with v. 6 I'll know how good it is for the Laptop.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2014, 04:07 PM »
https://play.google.....htcheng.winshortcut

"Windows 8 Shortcuts Handbook"
-it seems it also may have to do with Android?

2014-01-15_230514.gif

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2014, 05:10 PM »
Since I posted about EaseUS ToDo Backup Free I have installed and used the latest Macrium Free version.  It natively supports W8 GPT with secure boot.  I had a 32 GB FAT32 USB 3.0 stick.  It made a WinPE bootable restore on the stick without erasing my data files.  The only part that may be a drawback for some in this process is a download of about 370 MB to get WinPE 4.0.

The other cool thing, I made a backup image with the stick as destination.  It automatically created files 4 GB max sequentially numbered.  No fuss.  I just clicked "make an image that can restore Windows" and it handled all the details.  They really smoothed out the process, at least for my Toshiba Laptop.  I also took some space from C: and made a data NTFS partition to store images and whatnot. I was very impressed.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2014, 08:11 AM »
Get the links at Gizmo's: http://www.techsuppo...indows-81-better.htm

Just when you thought you had Windows 8 figured out, Microsoft went and changed things in Windows 8.1 so you had to learn yet more. Or maybe you are upgrading from an even older version of Windows. Then you have a truck-load of new features to learn. Either way, here are some places to go that will help make the transition to Windows 8.1 easier.

1. 10 new getting started tutorials for Windows 8.1
Get a quick beginning with these tutorials from the Microsoft MSDN site.

2. Articles introducing Windows 8 & 8.1 and their basic concepts
List of numerous articles on Windows 8.1 at 7Tutorials. Very substantial coverage.

3. The Metro hater's guide to Windows 8.1
Windows expert Ed Bott’s tips on what you need to do to make Windows 8.1 as desktop-friendly as possible. All of the features he describes are new or significantly changed in Windows 8.1 compared to Windows 8.

4. The desktop lover's guide to supercharging Windows 8.1
More tips on taming the Metro interface, this time from Woody Leonhard.

5. Windows 8.1 Tips
Collection of Windows 8.1 tips from Paul Thurrott.

And there you have it – some help to get Windows 8.1 working the way you want.
-Gizmo~techsupportalert

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2014, 09:03 AM »
3. The Metro hater's guide to Windows 8.1

had to laugh at that ;D
Tom

gregmiddo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2014, 06:44 AM »
Well... after working with Windows since version 3.0, where it was a 28 disk install (Ithink it was that many 3.5" floppies from memory) I gave Windows 8 a try for a few weeks on my new tablet (Lenovo Yoga)... I really can't understand Microsoft's logic on this version. Intuitive it is NOT! I gave up and here is my tip.
I googled for an app to make Win8 look like Win7... Tried a few, but ended up getting what seems to be the best option... Its called Start8.. Now I have my Start menu back, and everything is well in my PC world again. Windows 8.1 interface is no more. Perfect for me!!!  :Thmbsup:

vietnam rum

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2014, 08:17 AM »
I have been running win 8.1 pre release on a new laptop, not impressed.
Like gregmiddo i prefere a start button.

classicshell is very good.
http://www.classicshell.net/

Next week  back to Win 7.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2014, 01:20 AM »
Well I am using Win 8 and now Win 8.1 and have no problem.

I never felt missing the start button. I am using FARR from Xp and got so habituated with it's quick keyboard response to open an application that I forgot 'there is a start button' !

I just prey that FARR works in Win 9, 10,... and I have no qualms with MS.

BTW I take Metro as a bloatware added by MS, just like IE in Win 98. I used Firefox then and ignore Metro now. Win 8.1 helps me here and I never see it.

Regards,

Anand

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2014, 09:59 AM »
I only rarely use the Start Menu. But it is annoying if I want to get at it and can't find it.  I had a folder on the desktop to collect all the desktop icon clutter.  Only "Programs," the name of that folder, and Recycle Bin on the desktop.  I used Brink's tutorial except I used my existing desktop folder as the containing folder:
http://www.eightforu...ndows-8-taskbar.html

In the screenshot the folders on the left are from Start Menu.  The icons on the right are the ones I swept from the Desktop into the folder "Programs."  Then I just made a toolbar from the folder using the Taskbar options.

Clipboard02.jpg

Edit: the programs I use most frequently I pin to Taskbar.  A few I have pinned to Start Screen... mainly programming editors and malware scanners.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Tips for Windows 7+8
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2014, 01:50 PM »
I am still running Win 7 (even though I purchased a copy of Win 8 PRO ten months ago), so I have not taken the time before to really study this thread. To my surprise I now see that you have no link to the wonderful 137 Win 8 "desktop" shortcuts gathered by 7torials (here bundled with 139 Win 7 desktop shortcuts):

#desktop shortcuts, as opposed to keyboard shortcuts.

* Win7+8_(desktop)_shortcuts.zip (1328.01 kB - downloaded 414 times.)

These shortcuts work on any computer. Some of the tools are available only on certain Windows versions.
The collection was made using Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8 Pro.

They all come from http://www.7tutorial...ortcuts#main-content

If you want to study the various shortcuts before downloading, you must read http://www.7tutorial...ortcuts#main-content . The first part of the page is about Win 7, and the second part of course about Win 8. The third part is forum posts.

shortcuts.png

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2014, 04:00 PM »
Anyone have a tip to show what file types are assigned to Metro apps?  I am disgusted... I was emailed a wav file (for a voice message) and started playing it. About 5 seconds in, a blasted box pops up "This app needs an update, please download it from the Store to continue".  Really, Microsoft?  Can't listed to a stinkin' wav file without an update??  I will gladly reassign all file types possible away from behavior like this!
vi vi vi - editor of the beast