topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:33 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Tips for Windows 8 (got any?)  (Read 59746 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Tips for Windows 8 (got any?)
« on: November 15, 2012, 02:41 PM »
Have you any tips for windows 8? (I'll try adding your tips to first post, with the post number)

EDIT/ tips/tweaks here are untested unless otherwise stated !

IMPORTANT NOTE:/ many of these tips may not apply to Windows 8.1 :-(

Desktop bias (see below for the other half):

Winkey+x [anyone got a link for a good cheat sheet that's freely available?]
Lockergnome has a pretty good cheat sheet that covers both new keyboard shortcuts and those that have been around for a while. (allen #3)
Another good Win 8 cheatsheet can be found here [Requires 'Liking' or registration] (40hz #4)

Disable Lock Screen
Take screenshots: Win+PrtScr (image now saved in png format)
Prevent [Media] Files Opening in Metro:
http://www.howtogeek...t-keys-in-windows-8/

Change the default language of your OS. Changing to English worked perfectly for me ♥ (seems to be available for all versions of Win8)
Win+W to search settings > search for 'Language'; then follow the MS instructions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2607607 or here
NOTE: this has to be redone after installing 8.1

Backup:
create an image - Windows 8.1
>How to Create a System Image with Windows 8.1 File History<
A previous tip showed how to create a system image in Windows 8. In Windows 8.1, Microsoft changed the procedure and made it even harder to find. In this tip, I will give the new way to make a system image
http://www.techsuppo...-81-file-history.htm
-gizmo
create an image - Windows 8
Win+W to search settings > search for 'Windows 7..." - open "Windows 7 File Recovery" -a weird hangover name, in spite of it simply being called "Backup or Restore" in Win7.
~ Restore seems a bit buggy here - it cant find my image/backup on an external usb hd. But if I use the restore disk (dont forget to create it!) I can find the backup okay. Helped by Windows 8 forums tutorials (NOTE: I just wanted to check that it could find the backup - I didnt need to restore, so I didnt try to).
System Restore - Win+W to search settings for same and you're covered (also available via control panel)

Mount ISO's: Right-click it in Explorer, click Mount and you can view it as a virtual drive, launch the files it contains, or add more if you like. (ewemoa #15)

File associations:
Control Panel [>Programs] >Default Programs >Associate a file type with a specific program (Set Associations)
or
from the Start Screen, type Default Programs and proceed as above in Control Panel (thanks 4wd)

Boot to desktop: NOTE: 8.1 seems to be more intelligent and goes directly to desktop on a PC/laptop - not sure if this can now be adjusted within Windows UI, I presume so...
I followed these instructions to boot directly to desktop and it works:
http://winaero.com/b...ny-third-party-tool/ (phitsc #27) [worked for me too with OEM windows - see post 32]
or
Go to the start screen and type in "schedule" to search for Schedule Task in Settings. Click on Task Scheduler Library to the left, and select Create Task. Name your task something like "Boot to desktop." Now select the Triggers tab, choose New, and use the drop-down box to select starting the task "At log on." Click OK and go to the Actions tab, choose New, and enter "explorer" for the Program/Script value. Press OK, save the task, and restart to test it out!
via https://www.pcworld....d-tricks.html?page=4 (ewemoa #13)
or
Skip Metro Suite [UNTESTED] This one can also remove the 'hot corners' that popup the Switcher/Charmsbar/etc - AFAICT these are completely removed so long as the app runs. http://winaero.com/c...php?comment.news.103 (Tom #8)

Find the Windows serial-number - especially helpful for an OEM copy of Windows 8 (number is hidden) and for implementing first option under 'Boot to Desktop' above:
http://forums.mydigi...P-Product-Key-Viewer (Tom #32)

How to disable the edge panels (Charms Bar and Switcher) - this is a registry tweak that disables the edge panels (Charms Bar and Switcher) - but still allows them to be called via hotkey.  (also from winaero.com)

Classic Shell [restores the start button and other removed functionality] (via Ath from here)

Various Tweak Apps from winaero.com who seem in general to have a good reputation.

The Best Articles for Using and Customizing Windows 8 (How-to Geek)

Shrink/expand partitions within Windows 8.
http://www.forumswin...-8-partition-120.htm
I shrunk my OS partition (C) using Disk Management. It initially refused to shrink much - but when system restore was turned off, & the old restore points deleted, it then offered to go down to 20GB (FWIW, I gave it 100GB). The system restore points are those files you can see fixed in the middle of the partition when defragging. More info here:
http://superuser.com...with-unmovable-files (tomos #23)
Another possible option - PartedMagic (gParted)
http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=start (that's being worked on full-time now, so donations appreciated there)

How to Delete Your Metro Application's Usage History in Windows 8 [howtogeek.com] (erikts #24)

General Documentation/Articles

Windows 8 for Dummies Pocket Edition - Dell is offering a free (registration required but they don't seem to be too fussy about what email you enter on the form) special edition of same - which actually looks quite useful. Get it here. (40hz #4)

Introducing Windows 8: An Overview for IT Professionals (Final Edition) (Free ebook)
http://blogs.msdn.co...s-final-edition.aspx (thanks fenixproductions)

Windows 8 forums (thank Miles)

Windows 8 productivity: Who moved my cheese? Oh, there it is (Scott Hanselman - hanselman.com)

The Best Articles for Using and Customizing Windows 8 (How-to Geek)

The 'home screen' / the Tiled interface:

[You are only allowed to] install trusted (that is, digitally signed) apps from the Windows store.
To work around this:
Launch GPEdit.msc (...), browse to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > App Package Deployment, double-click 'Allow all trusted apps to install' and select Enabled > OK.
via http://www.techradar...220/3#articleContent (ewemoa #14)

Shortcuts: http://www.howtogeek...t-keys-in-windows-8/

Zoom tile display: hold down the Ctrl button, and use your mouse wheel to zoom in and out. (ewemoa #12)

Thanks! Any moar ? :)
Tom
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 08:16 AM by tomos, Reason: Added \"Find the Windows serial-number\" (for OEM copies) under \'Tweaks\' »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Tips for Windows 8 (got any?)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 02:47 PM »
My tip would be W8 for SP1. :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 02:57 PM »

after a couple of hours use, I already have some ideas for that. Along the lines of church and state.

======
Can I ask people though to try and keep this thread fairly on-topic? I ask that more cause it's a popular topic to thrash out at the moment - there's lots of other win8 threads out there if you want to debate aspects of the OS.
Tom

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 03:44 PM »
Lockergnome has a pretty good cheat sheet that covers both new keyboard shortcuts and those that have been around for a while.

My personal favorite new one is win+. and win+shift+. (That's win period). Some of the new "modern" apps are pretty cool when pinned to the side of your desktop. I most often use it for Music, mail or twitter depending on what I'm doing.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 04:28 PM »
Can I ask people though to try and keep this thread fairly on-topic? I ask that more cause it's a popular topic to thrash out at the moment - there's lots of other win8 threads out there if you want to debate aspects of the OS.

Yes please. :Thmbsup:

---------------------------------
On topic:

Another good Win 8 cheatsheet can be found here.

And Microsoft's official 156-page overview for IT professionals book is available for download here.

Add Dell is offering a free (registration required but they don't seem to be too fussy about what info you enter on the form  ;) ) special edition of Windows 8 for Dummies Pocket Edition which actually looks quite useful. Get it here.

:Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 04:19 AM »
I'm back on Windows 7 today but look forward to trying out some of those shortcuts

My personal favorite new one is win+. and win+shift+. (That's win period).
snaps active window to left and right

[edit] snaps desktop window to left/right of the 'home screen'. I'm only using the desktop so far myself so havent really used that. As in windows 7, Win+left/right-arrow will snap window to left/right half of the screen.[/edit]

@40, got the Windows 8 for Dummies book no problem :up:
Note: you can download directly on filling the form (you dont need to wait for an email...)
Tom
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 03:03 AM by tomos »

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 04:38 AM »
Have you any tips for windows 8? (I'll try adding your tips to first post, or a link at least)

Change the default language of your OS - worked perfectly for me :-* (seems to be available for all versions of Win8)
Winkey+Q; click on 'Settings' and search for 'Language'; then follow the MS instructions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2607607 or here

Sorry, no tips from me as I'm still waiting for my license to arrive, but just wanted to thank you for verifying the language change functionality  :up:  Nice change from Windows 7 where the language changing didn't seem to be available for all versions.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 09:40 AM »

after a couple of hours use, I already have some ideas for that. Along the lines of church and state.

======

My suggestion is totally serious. I think of all the Windows OS I tried before the first SP, the only one that didn't burn me was Windows 7.  I certainly wasted 2 months tuning Vista only to find 99% of the tweaks I made were there in SP1 when it finally came out.  Depends how you wish to spend your time; how anxious you are to get the latest greatest; you may need some particular feature; or the device has it on there and there's nothing you can do about it.  But the "burn ya'" percentage of pre-SP Windows is very high.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 05:56 PM »
^ well it's a fair enough tip for those of us who havent already indulged :D

One thing I presume they'll bring in in SP1 is the option to boot to the desktop (I find it ludicrous that the option is not already there).

Till then you could try this Skip Metro Suite [UNTESTED - I'll give it a go myself sometime in the next few days]
http://winaero.com/c...php?comment.news.103
the site was recommended by a user (with a few hundred posts) on Neowin (but no discussion about it)

They have a few interesting tweaks - download page:
http://winaero.com/download.php?list.2
Tom

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 06:41 PM »
Shrink/expand partitions[/b] within Windows 8. UNTESTED. Doesnt seem to be documented on MS site.

Can't see any reason why that should be a problem - it works fine in Windows 7 and despite the promise of a new FS they haven't yet implemented it so the current release of Win 8 uses the same NTFS system used by Win 7 - can't see why they would alter the NTFS support in Win 8.

Backup is a good idea if you are nervous but I have never had issue with partition resizing in Windows 7.

PS: Almost all of the tools used to modify partitions in live running windows use Microsoft DLLs to provide low level access so MS tools are probably as safe, or safer, than third party tools - just lack a bit of flexibility.

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 07:31 PM »
Windows 8 is too young. It's probably still full of bugs.
It’s a little mad buying immediately a new OS. It’s wise instead waiting for some years before buying it, so in the meantime many bugs will be fixed.
"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 09:33 PM »
One thing I presume they'll bring in in SP1 is the option to boot to the desktop (I find it ludicrous that the option is not already there).

I haven't had a look at it, other than screen shots on the web. From people's comments though, it sounds like it should be a hand-held/tablet only OS. I mean they just bailed out of the Vista fiasco with a big W7 success so they immediately scuttle it?

Probably some real dick came out on top of the corporate infighting.. rather than some brilliant "design decision" is my guess. :)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 09:51 PM »
Possibly handy?

The Start Screen is full of nice, big, chunky tiles that represent all your apps. The tiles are easy to see in small groups, but what if you have hundreds of apps installed? Most will be hidden from view, unless you want to do a lot of scrolling. Enter the new semantic zoom feature. If you’re using a touch display, squeeze the Start screen with two fingers to receive a bird’s eye view of your entire screen contents. And the feature is also available to mouse and keyboard users: Simply hold down the Ctrl button, and use your mouse wheel to zoom in and out.

Hmm, I wonder if there's a way to do this with just the keyboard...

via https://www.pcworld.com/article/2012885/20-must-know-windows-8-tips-and-tricks.html

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 09:55 PM »

Along similar lines:

One of biggest complaints about Windows 8 is that it boots straight to the Start screen—an annoyance for many committed desktop users. ... you can actually boot straight to the desktop without installing anything extra.

Go to the start screen and type in "schedule" to search for Schedule Task in Settings. Click on Task Scheduler Library to the left, and select Create Task. Name your task something like "Boot to desktop." Now select the Triggers tab, choose New, and use the drop-down box to select starting the task "At log on." Click OK and go to the Actions tab, choose New, and enter "explorer" for the Program/Script value.

Press OK, save the task, and restart to test it out!

via https://www.pcworld.com/article/2012885/20-must-know-windows-8-tips-and-tricks.html?page=4
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:09 PM by ewemoa »

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 10:03 PM »
Not sure for what contexts the following applies, but FWIW:

... only allow you to install trusted (that is, digitally signed) apps from the Windows store.

To work around it:

Launch GPEdit.msc (...), browse to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > App Package Deployment, double-click 'Allow all trusted apps to install' and select Enabled > OK.

via http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/50-windows-8-tips-tricks-and-secrets-1028220/3#articleContent

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 10:07 PM »
Looks like mounting ISOs is now built-in:

Right-click it in Explorer, click Mount and you can view it as a virtual drive, launch the files it contains, or add more if you like.

via http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/50-windows-8-tips-tricks-and-secrets-1028220/6#articleContent

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 03:53 AM »
Thanks ewemoa,
I've added those and some new ones* to the first post. (I've roughly grouped by desktop/home-page)
That's one of those posts that would benefit from a wikistyle option.

*Disable Lock Screen / Take screenshots / Prevent [Media] Files Opening in Metro

Tom

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 06:17 AM »
Thanks for the summarizing and new tips  :up:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 09:04 AM »
I signed up for the forum linked below when it first opened. But I don't participate often as I don't intend to get W8. If their Vista and Windows Seven forums are any indication, this forum should be a wealth of Tutorials, lists of free W8 software, W8 news, and of course, categorized sob-forums to post various problems.

Windows 8 Forum

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 11:23 AM »
One "tip" I'd like to suggest even though it's obvious: Learn before you churn.

Get some background - any background - first.

Watch some videos or web presentations, read a hands-on article or beginner booklet (or book), ask a knowledgeable friend to show you around, grab a cheat sheet and really look at it...whatever works best for your learning style.

I see this all the time with technology. People wade in on something completely new (or in this case different) with zero clue as to how it works and start bashing around. That's a guaranteed formula for initial failure and frustration with something like Windows 8.

From my own experience, Windows 8 has a very different "feel" from what we're currently using. Not really any worse or better in most cases - but just different enough that a lot of old work habits and expectations go right out the window with version 7. If you have some idea as to what to expect, it's not nearly as bad as if you just wade in and let it ambush you.

Grab a copy of the for Dummies booklet mentioned above and give it a go through first. I've had a few acquaintances take that suggestion and some (surprise!) actually ended up sort of liking Windows 8 after a short while. While none said they preferred it at this stage, all agreed (with varying degrees of "enthusiasm") that they were confident they "could get used it" if they had to.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 12:25 PM by 40hz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 02:48 PM »
^ I added a documantation section to post #1

I signed up for the forum linked below when it first opened. But I don't participate often as I don't intend to get W8. If their Vista and Windows Seven forums are any indication, this forum should be a wealth of Tutorials, lists of free W8 software, W8 news, and of course, categorized sob-forums to post various problems.

Windows 8 Forum
:Thmbsup:
I was hoping that existed -
I had found another forum - forumswindows8.com - which didnt really impress.
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2012, 02:53 PM »
I was hoping that existed -
I had found another forum - forumswindows8.com - which didnt really impress.

Not that MS MVPs are the be all and end all, but those forums have quite a few. They're sticklers about rules/licenses afa Windows is concerned. For that reason if you get a link to  Windows OS ISOs you can be confident they're legit. Very good tutorials also.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2012, 03:46 PM »
Backup / create an image:
Win+W to search settings - search for 'Windows 7..." - open "Windows 7 File Recovery" -a weird hangover name, in spite of it simply being called "Backup or Restore" in Win7.
~ Restore seems a bit buggy here - it cant find my image/backup on an external usb hd. But if I use the restore disk (dont forget to create it!) I can find the backup okay. Helped by Windows 8 forums tutorials (NOTE: I just wanted to check that it could find the backup - I didnt need to restore, so I didnt try to).
System Restore - Win+W to search settings for same and you're covered (also available via control panel)

added some backup quirks ...
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2012, 06:34 PM »
for those who buy laptops with one big partition for everything:
(probably valid for most other win OS's as well)

Shrink/expand partitions within Windows 8.
I shrunk my OS partition (C) using Disk Management - it refused to shrink much but when system restore was turned off, & old restore points deleted, it then offered to go down to 20GB (FWIW, I gave it 100GB). System restore are those fixed files you can see in the middle of the partition when defragging. More info here:
http://superuser.com...with-unmovable-files

Tom

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 04:10 AM »
How to Delete Your Metro Application’s Usage History in Windows 8 [howtogeek.com]

Windows 8 includes an all new Task Manager, which brings a whole bunch of new features. One of my favorites is the App history tab, which allows geeks like us to monitor our applications resource usage. Sometimes you may wish to reset the counters though, so here’s how.