ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Tips for Windows 8 (got any?)

<< < (16/18) > >>

MilesAhead:
Anyone have a tip to show what file types are assigned to Metro apps?  I am disgusted... I was emailed a wav file (for a voice message) and started playing it. About 5 seconds in, a blasted box pops up "This app needs an update, please download it from the Store to continue".  Really, Microsoft?  Can't listed to a stinkin' wav file without an update??  I will gladly reassign all file types possible away from behavior like this!
-x16wda (January 28, 2014, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

In a similar vein I have Windows Update set to Never Check for Updates.  After a couple of weeks passed I got a splash page "Windows Update Needs Your Help.. It hasn't been able to check for updates" etc..  Help it?  I want to kill it dead dead dead.  Seems there's no happy medium.  No fixes at all or 50 a day.   :down:

tomos:
Anyone have a tip to show what file types are assigned to Metro apps?  I am disgusted... I was emailed a wav file (for a voice message) and started playing it. About 5 seconds in, a blasted box pops up "This app needs an update, please download it from the Store to continue".  Really, Microsoft?  Can't listed to a stinkin' wav file without an update??  I will gladly reassign all file types possible away from behavior like this!
-x16wda (January 28, 2014, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

music and images get sent to Metro. There may be other casualties, I'm not sure.

I'm wondering if we dont update all these apps - is there a security risk? They're very free and easy with an internet connection - might even be worth looking at options to block them all (?)

tomos:
In a similar vein I have Windows Update set to Never Check for Updates.  After a couple of weeks passed I got a splash page "Windows Update Needs Your Help.. It hasn't been able to check for updates" etc..  Help it?  I want to kill it dead dead dead.  Seems there's no happy medium.  No fixes at all or 50 a day.   :down:
-MilesAhead (January 28, 2014, 04:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Notifications of updates doesnt work well here either - I think I've gotten one notification in three months. (In fairness, there *is* some sort of reminder as you boot, but it's too discreet -- for me anyway).

And if you set if to 'Notify', the antivirus (Defender?) doesnt update at all :huh:
I found a way to get it to update using the scheduler, but it's not very nice...

MilesAhead:
Notifications of updates doesnt work well here either - I think I've gotten one notification in three months. (In fairness, there *is* some sort of reminder as you boot, but it's too discreet -- for me anyway).
--- End quote ---

I just worked a problem on Windows Eight Forums(I say "worked" rather than solved) where the poor poster is trying to fathom why MS issued an update to fix Windows Update.  He restored a 2 year old system image and now is in the position where he cannot find the update fix and wouldn't know how to apply it if he could.  Way too catch 22 for me.  Why not just issue a patch like normal software engineers?

4wd:
Typing filetype on the Start Screen should get you this, (I'm guessing since I use Classic Start Menu and type it in the search box):

Tips for Windows 8 (got any?)

I use MPC-BC for all my media files, (XnView for images), all Metro apps have either been uninstalled or replaced with normal Desktop programs, (via association).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version