ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best Anti-spyware.

<< < (4/6) > >>

f0dder:
On my own machine, I exclusively use MSE... but I don't have Flash, Java or AdobePDF in my main browser, and I've got AdBlockPlus and NoScript activated. When I need flash, I fire up Chrome, when I need Java I fire up a virtual machine. Very little inconvenience compared to the massively reduced attack vectors.

I've had better success with MSE (detection as well as cleaning) than Avast and Avira. Kaspersky and NOD32 used to be decent products, but dunno - ditched them because they became too heavy on system resources, and NOD32's web protection gave BSODs. And the whole AV industry seems more and more like an extortion scheme... and the programs are bloated and suck.

But apparently other less responsible people need something more than MSE - I just had to clean up a truckload of toolbars and malware from two of my brothers' machines, including Ukash and whatnot. ComboFix and MalwareBytes took care of that.

Curt:
I have Norton Internet Security. Recently purchase Spyware Doctor. It's hogging my Windows 8 Pro. Just uninstalled it. Now want a good anti-spyware. Commercial ones will do as well. Which one to choose?-BCHOWDHURY (November 14, 2012, 11:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

It has been several years since the last time I tested security programs in general, because I am so pleased with my Outpost Security Center. Now available for Windows 8, also with extended HIPS for 64-bit. Until new-year you can even have it with a genuine lifetime key for the normal price of just one year's license!

http://agnitumblog.blogspot.co.il/2012/12/outpost-8-and-updates-for-life.html

The story has already been posted another place or two on DonationCoder's, but here it is even more relevant:

Monday, December 17, 2012
Try Outpost 8 and enjoy unlimited product updates for life
To celebrate the brand-new Outpost 8, Agnitum unveils a once-in-a-lifetime offer!

Get a perpetual license for Outpost Security Suite or Outpost Firewall Pro on 3 PCs for the price of a 1 year license. So you get unlimited updates and support for just $59.95 or $39.95, respectively.

A lifetime license means you pay just once and enjoy antivirus updates for as long as you use the product. Take advantage of this offer, get protected now and forever, and forget about annual renewals!

But don’t delay! The deadline is December 31, 2012.

As a reminder, these seasonal gifts are in celebration of a brand-new product line with a new exciting look, extended compatibility, and some handy new features.

Outpost 8 offers:

Totally reworked and more intuitive user interface
    Full Windows 8 support
    Extended HIPS for Outpost 64-bit versions
-Agnitum
--- End quote ---
http://www.agnitum.com/products/

Darwin:
<Darwin sheepishly raises his hand  ;D> Earlier in the year, MSE flat out broke on my system (running Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit at the time) and I searched around for alternatives. I settled on Norton Antivirus and have been very pleased with it. It's lightweight (this is a relative term in 2012) and non-intrusive. Agnitum's lifetime license may be a solid alternative, though. I'll have to take a look at it.

Backstory: I swore off Norton/Symantec and McAfee years ago (like J-Mac, around the turn of the century. Ooh... just writing that makes me feel old) and vowed never to install either again. Yet here I am...

Right, off to peruse the reviews o Agnitum!

Darwin:
*Added in Edit*:

Norton Antivirus 2012/3 includes Antispyware protection. Why is/was BCHOWDHURY looking for another A/S package to run on top of it?

Well... after checking my license for Norton, I'll stick. It's good through April 2015 AND it caught a virus while I was researching Agnitum (not Agnitum's fault - it was a site purportedly about the built-in firewall in Windows 8). So I'm good for now and will revisit all this in 2015. I'm sure that similar deals will be available in the future... Awesome to get a lifetime license for a security suite, though. Even if they use a fluid interpretation of lifetime and the licensing only last for a couple of years, one would still be ahead of the game.

Anyway, this is symptomatic of my new approach - don't buy it until you need it! BTW, Symantec has four processes running on my computer using a combined total of 0% CPU and 19 MB of RAM. Not too bad in my books... 8)

J-Mac:
Darwin!! Long time, no see dude!

BTW, you will want to purchase another new license for Norton AV when your current one expires, rather than renewing. Norton is still in the "kill 'em with the renewal pricing" mode. If you purchase Norton AV anew - packaged or downloaded - you just have to enter the new license/serial code and it will show the new expiration date. Or if it is a whole new version just install it over the current and the license is updated.

Jim

E.g. - I have a license for Norton Antivirus 2012, 1 user, 3 PCs. Symantec would like me to renew the license and upgrade to NAV 2013 at $44.99 per PC for 1 year each! That would be $134.97. I just purchased a new license from Amazon for NAV 2013, 1 user, 3 PCs for $17.99 total! Downloadable too! I am told on their forum that if I contact Symantec Support they will offer a discount, but how the hell much could they discount it? Surely not enough to match $17.99!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version