ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best Anti-spyware.

(1/6) > >>

BCHOWDHURY:
I have Norton Internet Security. Recently purchase Spyware Doctor. It's hogging my Windows 8 Pro. Just uninstalled it. Now want a good anti-spyware. Commercial ones will do as well. Which one to choose?

Tinman57:
I have Norton Internet Security. Recently purchase Spyware Doctor. It's hogging my Windows 8 Pro. Just uninstalled it. Now want a good anti-spyware. Commercial ones will do as well. Which one to choose?
-BCHOWDHURY (November 14, 2012, 11:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
  SpybotS&D is free and highly rated.  It also has a background app called Teatimer that gives you real-time protection on the net, but I don't run it because it eats up about 80mb of RAM.

40hz:
IMHO either Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or SUPER AntiSpyware will do quite nicely. I've used both and think they're equally capable.

I also haven't found it necessary to have multiple realtime scanners running. Just get yourself a decent antivirus utility with realtime protection features (Avast, Avira, Microsoft Security Essentials. etc.) and use that as your primary defense along with the firewall built into Windows.

Also grab a free copy of Secunia's PSI utility to keep up on application updates and security risks.

Keep Windows, your malware definitions, and your apps regularly updated - and run Malwarebytes or SUPER every so often (weekly or thereabouts) and you should never have a problem unless you do something very silly.

This is all I run on most of my systems, and I have experienced only one actual malware issue to date. And that was about four years ago.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead:
I like MBAM.  I also started using ClamWin since it's open source. Gizmo's site has a big list

Often on that site the user comments talk up some software I was unaware of otherwise. You can find a few gems in the comments on occasion.  Kind of like using a metal detector at the beach. A lot of bottle caps. But here and there something worth picking up. :)

J-Mac:
I am running Norton AV 2012 and Malwarebytes Pro version. Both co-exist peacefully and run very nicely on my box. Neither hog CPU or memory.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version