ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

create local webpage for archiving and organizing data

(1/2) > >>

kalos:
hello!

realizing how powerful webpages can be nowadays, where for example you can create an astonishing webpage in pure javascript, I start thinking of creating a 'website' to host my data, that will be only running localy without any server and stuff, instead of organizing my data to a bunch of MS Word files

all i need is:
1) a WYSIWYG editor to create rich text in the webpages like http://ckeditor.com/
2) a chart designer to create dynamic charts like www.diagram.ly or www.diagramo.com
3) a method to organize data in treeview www.jstree.com or www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/treeview/index.htm
etc

my question is, in which platform do i make all these to work?

thanks!

Paul Keith:
I can't speak for platforms but I've been wondering if anyone here has experience with this software: http://www.lianja.com/documentation/documentation-index/194-developing-lianja-custom-gadgets-in-visual-FoxPro

It's not a site creator though from the sound of it.

Just throwing out impressions from a non-coder perspective:

* syntax/mark-up self interpreter appears to be the new WYSIWYG backed up by a button for a help file (think writemonkey/workflowy.com)
* I'm still impressed by how the software Knowsy Notes can elegantly create tables using the | symbol. Can't find many apps that can do that while also insta-create text/.csv files
* Scrivener and Lyx uses corkboards and while not diagrams, have very powerful tweaks to personal wiki clicking

TaoPhoenix:
I'll mention the Tree class of note organizer apps, just for a discussion point. You start in your tree, and type to your heart's content. The one I use lets you make new nodes with key commands, and when you are done the whole thing exports into a tree based web page. Later you can add/update your nodes, then push out the whole site again.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer about the diagrams, but it covers the other two cases well enough for me.

dr_andus:
all i need is:
1) a WYSIWYG editor to create rich text in the webpages
2) a chart designer to create dynamic charts like www.diagram.ly or www.diagramo.com
3) a method to organize data in treeview www.jstree.com or www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/treeview/index.htm
etc
-kalos (November 14, 2012, 01:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

WhizFolders (as a tree-based notes organiser with rich text and wiki capability) + VUE for concept-mapping/flowcharts.

Mindsystems Amode v.2 has a tree, and each node has its own rich text note editor and concept mapper, among other things. Nodes can also be linked to each other in multiple ways.

Or if you don't mind using mark-up, you could go with an actual desktop/personal wiki like ConnectedText + VUE.

kalos:
Dr., these solutions are acceptable, but can they replace a javascript enabled platform?
where for example you can have a popup appearing when you put the cursor over a term?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version