topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Change name of particular file in all occurrences on hard disk  (Read 19278 times)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Change name of particular file in all occurrences on hard disk
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 01:45 AM »
been using Virtual Box (VBox).  It was picked up by Cisco, but they haven't ruined it ... yet
:huh: Isn't that Oracle? (www.virtualbox.org, check page-footer)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 01:49 AM »
been using Virtual Box (VBox).  It was picked up by Cisco, but they haven't ruined it ... yet
:huh: Isn't that Oracle? (www.virtualbox.org, check page-footer)

Yeah  :-[.  Hit the wrong shortcut key(s)  :-[.  Some days, just nuthin' goes right <sigh />.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 01:56 AM »
@nkormanik: What f0dder said:
Also, almost forgot: what's the symptoms when you try to launch the application? If it's a "Windows failed to load JVM.DLL" kinda message, it might be as simple as a x64 vs x86 JRE version issue.
You have (also) installed the x86 version of Java I assume? It sure looks like the SAS application is x86, and those are not capable of loading a x64 edition of the Java dll's. (If the application just shells out to a Java.exe then it would have worked as expected.)

Best suggestion for this direction so far is that it runs fine on Windows XP. It's highly unlikely that you are running XP x64, and unlike other software, Java needs to be installed in the bitness (x86/x64) of the application trying to use it, not the OS. On my x64 Windows I only have x86 Java installed, as I use no application(s) that require a x64 JVM.

NB: Full-blown Java applications shouldn't care nor matter what edition of the JVM is installed, except that the x64 edition has more memory available for applications.

nkormanik

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 02:05 AM »
Good point to check on.  Indeed, x86.  SAS says that even if you have an x64 system, to still use x86 Java and JVM.

As I may have mentioned above, SAS installed fine on a second hard disk in same system via dual-boot.  So problem is not the hardware.  Nor basic drivers present.  As those remain constant.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2012, 05:46 AM »
Maybe an OS issue, maybe a hardware issue, we never did pin it down, but we were leaning toward hardware before we quit - not enough return for the effort  :-\.
Never attribute to hardware that which can be attributed to retarded enterprise application developers.
- carpe noctem

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2012, 09:36 AM »
Good point to check on.  Indeed, x86.  SAS says that even if you have an x64 system, to still use x86 Java and JVM.

As I may have mentioned above, SAS installed fine on a second hard disk in same system via dual-boot.  So problem is not the hardware.  Nor basic drivers present.  As those remain constant.

Can you copy the DLL from the dual boot side that works and try it?  All the .local does is force the DLL to be loaded from the same folder as the app for testing. I faintly remember using it when coding DLLs in Delphi maybe 10 years ago. This technique should be a substitute for the rename idea.  Rename the original DLL and try copying a few others, one at a time, to the local folder. If none of them work then it's likely some Java specific thing.  Have you tried posting on Java specific forum?  Someone else may have run into it.

nkormanik

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2012, 04:07 PM »
I concur.  Just thought I'd throw it to you folks.

Skwire, done with this one.