ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Change name of particular file in all occurrences on hard disk

<< < (4/7) > >>

f0dder:
On JVM.DLLs flying around...  That's why I brought up this matter to begin with.  Surprisingly there are 79 separate instances of that bugger.  Many programs have included it in their installations.  Tucked away in their own subdirectories, at least.-nkormanik (November 14, 2012, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
Dirty practice... but shouldn't be too big an issue, unless the programs are extremely dirty and have been adding their folders to the DLL search paths.

Main symptom is when I start the SAS install program, intro window comes up for about 15 seconds, then disappears, without even saying goodbye.  (Normal behavior would be to proceed on to next setup screen.)

Digging, what's going on in those 15 seconds, among other things, SAS looks for the appropriate JRE and JVM on the system.-nkormanik (November 14, 2012, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
What kind of digging have you done? If you haven't tried already, you can capture what's going on with Sysinternals' Process Monitor (not explorer!) - but there's an insane amount of information in the dumps, so it can be hard to find the needle in the haystack.

Using a program transfer program (PCMover) I was able to transfer fully installed SAS from one of the working machines to problem machine, thus bypassing install.-nkormanik (November 14, 2012, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hrm, that's generally a somewhat risky thing to do, especially if you're trying to move big clunky enterprisey software. Doesn't a regular install work?

Your suggested JavaRa looks promising.  Thanks.-nkormanik (November 14, 2012, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
Be careful, though. Haven't used it myself, so I don't know just how much it nukes - could be a lot, and with wonky applications installing their own dropping JVM DLLs like crazy, it could end up doing a lot of damage. Worked for a somewhat more "normal" JRE corruption issue for a coworker, though.

nkormanik:
I'm familiar with the regular Windows search PATH.  Is there a different one for DLLs that I can check and edit?

By "digging" I mean doing a number of Google searches.  I've followed basically every suggestion that seemed reasonable.  But problem remains.

The crazy thing is, the solution is probably a super simple one.

But that's only in retrospect, after you find it.

f0dder:
I'm familiar with the regular Windows search PATH.  Is there a different one for DLLs that I can check and edit?-nkormanik (November 14, 2012, 06:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
MilesAhead already linked to the MSDN information :)

The crazy thing is, the solution is probably a super simple one.

But that's only in retrospect, after you find it.-nkormanik (November 14, 2012, 06:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
Isn't it always? :-[

MilesAhead:
It should only take a minute to try this work-around:
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms682600(v=vs.85).aspx

nkormanik:
No JVM.dll included in known .dlls listed in registry.  So the JVM.dll that is supposed to be found and used by SAS is the one being pointed to.

MilesAhead, the url you provide doesn't come up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version