ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best USB Encryption Software.

<< < (4/4)

BCHOWDHURY:
Installed TrueCryprt. Like it. Also trying SafeHouse Explorer Professional. Thanks panzer for the caveat about SafeHouse.

40hz:
I've used AxCrypt in the past. But I've since stopped using it because:

* it's only single platform
* the portable version never got out of beta last I checked
* the developer started using OpenCandy with their installer
FWIW I currently use TrueCrypt for all my encryption requirements. Highly recommended.

f0dder:
Regarding multiple encryption - if you're just worried about someone stealing your stuff (like if your computer actually gets stolen, or you lose your USB key or phone), using respectable encryption software that uses properly implemented standard encryption algorithms such as AES should be plenty.-mwb1100 (November 15, 2012, 02:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
Amen!

And TrueCrypt should probably be at the top of the list of software to consider.-mwb1100 (November 15, 2012, 02:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
I personally trust it, even though I have from a reliable source that TC volumes have been decrypted without bruteforcing the key... he couldn't tell me how it had been done, but my impression was memory dump of the encryption key - and that's something you just can't guard against if those somebodies have physical access to your machine, or have been able to plant a trojan.

On the other hand, if you're worried about the FBI or some other 3 letter agency taking a serious interest in your files, I'm in no position to give advice (but I'd guess that TrueCrypt would still be one of the better things to have in your arsenal).-mwb1100 (November 15, 2012, 02:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
If any TLA goes after you, you're screwed no matter what encryption they use. They will ruin your life - either they use their super-secret backdoors, or they find some other way to ruin your life. Stop worrying about them, or stop doing things that would attract their attention - simple as that :)

40hz:
On the other hand, if you're worried about the FBI or some other 3 letter agency taking a serious interest in your files, I'm in no position to give advice (but I'd guess that TrueCrypt would still be one of the better things to have in your arsenal).-mwb1100 (November 15, 2012, 02:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
If any TLA goes after you, you're screwed no matter what encryption they use. They will ruin your life - either they use their super-secret backdoors, or they find some other way to ruin your life. Stop worrying about them, or stop doing things that would attract their attention - simple as that :)

-f0dder (November 15, 2012, 11:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1. If you attract the wrathful attention of such as those, having your files decrypted will be the least of your worries.

As the man in the movie said: There are things much worse than dying. And we can do all of them to you. :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version